• Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice tuning - tips and tricks

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      I was playing with the imprint kit on my Alpine CDA-9887. I found that there is a big dip around 500Hz. I did measured multiple times and from multiple positions. The dip was quite apparent. Btw, i did not like the final result of imprint after measuring from 6 positions. Luckily, i found a position in Front right where the result was closer to my taste. I am yet to successfully replicate that in manual EQ.

Is this kinds of dips common? Is there any easier way to identify them?
      Few significant things that determine the freq graph;

• Freq Response of the Drivers
      • Crossover Point / Slope
      • Freq Range of the Amplifier
      • Install Location
      • In Car Acoustics

IMHO:
      • First of all there is no need to worry too much if its sounds good to hear
      • Second, Flat response is a theory; It is nearly impractical in car environment
      • Even if you do it with advanced tuning equipments (Advanced HU / Processors), Flat response may or may not sound good - It depends on indivuduals taste and genre of music
      • RTA / FFT need professional equipments and Pro Calibiration to get accurate readings; Most available in market are not by any means 'Perfect' Test Tools.
      • Unless you find a Alarming dip or a Steep peak, there is no need to worry too much.
      • RTA will only display a scientific measurement of a Signal - It cannot convey the Emotions of Music

Attached is Fiesta Response (Internal mic; so i would limit the accuracy to not more than 80%)

Name:  Fiesta_Setting 2.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  71.0 KB

May not be the most correct graph, but who cares as long as it sounds good

PS: I cannot tune anything in HU or Amp i my case - So what ever it does, it just happens
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      First of all there is no need to worry too much if its sounds good to hear
      Yes i agree..In fact, i don't like true flat response

Attached is Fiesta Response (Internal mic; so i would limit the accuracy to not more than 80%)
      Is that from a RTA app from mobile? Looks like more than sufficient to identify the 'dips'.

Reboot

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Yes i agree..In fact, i don't like true flat response
      Infact most of us wont. Its not because of the Response as such, but because of our Ear. Our Ear's sensitivity varies with different range of freq. and hence Flat Response will not be heard 'Flat' inside the ear, it is most likely to have a bump in the Vocal and Mid High Spectrum.

Is that from a RTA app from mobile? Looks like more than sufficient to identify the 'dips'.
      Yeah, i also have the FFT, which is more than enough to see any serious variations, as it can take till 1/24th Octave.

Rebuild!!

Awesome

RTA will only display a scientific measurement of a Signal - It cannot convey the Emotions of Music
      I personally did not like what is heard with a flat response. According to me getting a flat response at the studio level is good as the music director can record as per his taste. You know what I mean!!

Getting a flat response in car or home wont recreate all of the songs exactly. Because, there are a lot of flaws at the tuning levels in a studio. Only the engineer, whose ears are experienced, knows what frequencies aren't playing correctly. He manipulates this during the mastering. That said, not all engineers ears work the same and not all equipment from all studios are same.

Hey man, what's the exact app name?
      Last edited by shreyasma; 24th Aug 2012 at 01:08.

Up and Running

Awesome

One more useful article on tuning amp gain. It is almost same as karan's instructions.
      Last edited by matbhuvi; 13th Dec 2012 at 15:12.
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      Do not use a very low frequency just to get more bass out of the speakers as it can damage your speakers specially if the amplifier is quite powerful
      Question on this..won't the passive crossover protect the speakers from this happening?

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Question on this..won't the passive crossover protect the speakers from this happening?
      I am not entirely sure on this but i guess the passive xo does not have a hpf for the mid bass and lets it roll off itself. I could be wrong.

But i do observe that extracting too much low end from a 6.5" mid bass can lead to muddy output and pull the stage down in some cars that i tuned for friends.

I personally don't tune the mid bass for too much low end as it is shadowed by the woofer in most cases. Rather if i tune it with a more emphasis on kick and vocals, i get a higher sound stage. Currently i have mine set at 63Hz with a 24dB slope
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

Up and Running

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      Currently i have mine set at 63Hz with a 24dB slope
      Just curious..what is the fs of your mid bass?

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Just curious..what is the fs of your mid bass?
      Have to check but can't do it from the class

It's the Dynaudio Esotec MW162

I even had my KRX2 XO'd at 100Hz when using the HRT MSII as the bass notes were so much more prominent than the 80PRS.

I guess XO should be experimented with when changing the Source or even applying EQ
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

Reboot

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Passive Crossover will protect the Tweeters only. The Mids can be protected from extreme lows by a HPF from you Source or Amp.

There is no abo****e rule on setting the Crossovers, it depends on your Car, capability of your equipments, taste of music and location of install

Most systems are comfortable doing a HPF between 80 to 120 Hz for Midbass. Some High end Setups can go down to 60 odd Hz. 3 way Active's allow for much lower setting as they dont have to do the job of getting the vocals right, hence few of the competition setups operate between 50 -400 Hz !

Edit 1: Slopes play a vital role in entire concept of Crossovers. Sometimes, more than the XO point a 6db to 18 db slope change would get in much needed fine tuning for a setup !

Edit 2: More on the Topic - ICE! An introduction. - Page 4
      Last edited by Mi10; 14th Dec 2012 at 14:13.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information