• Secret
  • Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving a Diesel- Things to remember

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Driving a Diesel- Things to remember

Its a Diesel
      You picked it for low end and mid range shove. You picked it for mileage. You picked it for wallet friendliness at the pump.
      These days you also pick Diesels because you like souping up cars.
      I picked Diesel for all the above.

1.Redlining- DONT
      Most Diesels dont like being revved to the redline. Unless its a high end diesel like a merc or a beemer. BTW hyundai diesels like being near the redline.

2. Trying to accelerate while in lag.
      Most of the new gen diesels spool up by 1800 to 2000rpm
      Some SUVs spool up slightly earlier at 1500rpm
      be gentle on acclerator inputs while in lag. giving it the beans while the car is at 1200rpm is not going to do anything.
      let the revs climb to past the turbo spool up, and then, floor it all you want. if you are in a hurry, Downshift! That will take you out of lag in the lower gear

3. Avoid flooring it in 1st and 2nd gear, unless its an emergency(like a traffic light grand prix, for eg )
      Our Diesels now make a lot of torque,in these gears thats multiplied. more stress on the drivetrain and engine etc and
      since these gears are usually very short, redlining in 2nd is probably going to get you nowhere quick. for eg redline in 2nd in the Swift is a measly 60kmph
      Let the petrol boys rev away in 1st and 2nd, we'll catch them in 3rd

4.Please dont ride the clutch- quick on and off
      The clutches in diesels are built stronger, but they deal with a lot more torque, so be nice to your clutch

5.As far as possible, try and drive at 2k rpm and above. In bumper to bumper traffic, that might not be possible. because of the jerkiness that will happen during stop start conditions. The only thing to be done in these situations is to chose 1st 2nd or 3rd gear as the speed demands and let the idling engine pull you around. its not healthy, but its the best you can do. Mostly, if you're using the idling 3rd gear, you should be able to use 2nd gear in the correct rpm range, but that will murder your in city FE.
      At the most, you''ll need to feather the accelerator and brake, with an occasional stab at the clutch.
      No "half-clutch" business please

6.Idle on cold starts. especially in the mornings. drive gently for 100-200 mts after that, then ZOOOOOOM
      7.Idle before switching off- especially after hard highway runs or manic city sprints
      A minute should be sufficient in both cases

8.Stick to the same set of reliable pumps everytime. If you have to fill at a seedy place, take the minimum possible fuel on to get you to the next trusted pump, then top it up fully to dilute the filth as much as you can.

9.I find regular Diesel works best. Premium just makes more smoke(IMO)
      10. Giving the car a good workout once a week seems to keep it happy.
      what I do is, rev it up to 4500 rpm or slightly higher, while in 3rd gear and on an open road, but I do not hold it there for more than a few secs. Doing that once or twice on every sunday is like bonding time for me and my Diesel darling.

Please feel free to point out mistakes and to add to the above if you think its necessary.
      I'm no Guru, but this article needed to be written, and someone had to do it
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

very informative thank you.FIAT Punto MJD is my first diesel car and iam in love with the diesel engine especially due to the amazing millage and torque , i am only disappointed with in 2nd gear sluggishness (traffic light drags ) .Will try out some of the tips that you mentioned. Thanks

GhostWhoDrives...a diesel
      Been very lazy these days....

Awesome

Let the petrol boys rev away in 1st and 2nd, we'll catch them in 3rd
      I like this..
      1990 Bajaj KB100 Sold
      1995 Maruthi Omni(76500 kms)Sold
      1996 TVS Suzuki Samurai Sold
      1998 Kinetic Honda Sold
      2003 Bajaj Pulsar 150(37000 kms) Still Running
      2005 Tata Indica V2 DLG (70000 kms) sold
      2009 Fiat Linea MJD (62500 kms)
      2001 MM550(4000kms after rebuild)

Awesome

I was told not to zoom till the temp needle settles down to its half way position during cold starts.Have been meticulously following it
      "I LIVE TO TRIP"

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

@1001BHP
      By the time its idled for a min and its rolled 300 or 400mtrs, it should be pretty close to halfway. i'll have a closer look, tomorrow morning.
      but, Yes, That is good advice, follow it!

Awesome

Thank you for this brilliant thread. I very much needed this info. You are now my diesel guru

Awesome

rippergeo, Doc even if i idle the car for a minute and start,i have to travel 3-4 kms before the needle reaches the half way mark.But if i floor the pedal after a few hundred meters of starting my journey ,the needles takes lot less time to reach half way.
      Aditya, Let alone being a guru,Sometimes i even wonder if he is a direct descendant of Rudolf Diesel himself.
      "I LIVE TO TRIP"

Super Moderator

Awesome

Nicely written Louis

What about engine braking? I have found that engine braking in diesels is negligible compared to petrol engines. Am I right or is there a technique with diesels that I need to master?
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Awesome

Mr Ripper, thanks for putting all this together.

A point to add would be, diesels are lug-able, thanks to the low rpm torque availability. All of us do lug a bit (i guess), but when doing it, don't get aggressive with your right foot. It is not good for engine and drive train components, so don't over do it.
      "Diesel engines do not maintain a throttle vacuum as they do not have an intake throttle. The fuel itself is the throttle, and thus diesel engines are not subject to the same engine braking effects as gasoline engines are."

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Lightbulb Engine Braking- Advice from a newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post14196.html#p14196
      hrag Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 pm[/url]]Nicely written Louis

What about engine braking? I have found that engine braking in diesels is negligible compared to petrol engines. Am I right or is there a technique with diesels that I need to master?
      Older gen diesels used to have a lot of engine braking. Turbo diesels have comparatively less.
      There's no technique to it. if you need engine braking, you need to downshift in a diesel.

If, while braking, the Engine rpm falls to near idle, the engine will start fighting the brakes. This happens especially, when the ECU detects that the car is close to stalling. And unlike petrols which will just stall at low rpms because they cant overpower the brakes resistance, The low end torque of the diesel combined with its momentum will put up a stiff fight against the brakes. This can be dangerous, especially when you brake and initially find that the car is slowing down beautifully, and all of a sudden, when you think you are safe, you start easing your foot off the Brakes, the car decides to lunge forward......BAM!

So, when braking from 140 in 5th,
      I brake, downshift to 4th, the gear engages around 110-120, foot stays hard on brakes,
      by the time speed reaches 80, I've started downshifting to 3rd.
      at around 60-70, i'm in 3rd gear, with foot still hard on brakes.
      by the time its 30kmph, 3rd gear would have started fighting the brakes and pulling the car forward
      so, I either shift to 2nd if I need to come to a complete stop
      or if I just have to come down to crawl speeds and take off again- i leave it in 3rd with the clutch depressed and take off in 3rd or 2nd again, depending on how much momentum I have left.

I have not been able to use 1st gear much for engine braking. I dont think its easy, or safe to downshift into 1st anyway, while trying to decelarate.

I'm a newbie to engine braking, so still polishing up my reflexes. but I'm a total convert now.

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information