• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: Driving a Diesel- Things to remember

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      You dont have to idle the engine for 30 seconds if you are not racing the car on the tracks.
      I would recommend to follow the owner's manual as the manufacturers know the vehicle better. We know the owner's manual of quite a few turbo charged cars (at least in India) do recommend idling.

For reference, a few in the below link.
      Why you must practice the with Turbo-Charged Cars - Team-BHP
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

reclaiming my life!

Awesome

alexshom Indian thanks for the replies but looks like I created a misunderstanding.
      1. I do religiously follow the practice of keeping my car on idle for 30 seconds before starting/shutdown.
      2. I am aware what this 30 seconds does with the turbocharger, it lubricates the bearing which if shutdown suddenly may result in in-adequate lubrication of the bearings resulting damage to turbocharger in longer run.

Now my actual question, the scorpio's new start stop system says it shutdowns the car if its idle for 3 seconds. Now since scorpio is turbocharged doesnt its turbocharger needs to have lubrication provided. 3 seconds seems to be too short for lubrication as per me. So wont the scorpio's owner face damage to turbocharger in long run due to sudden start and shutdown of car.
      So is Mahindra using some type of turbocharger that doesnt needs lubrication?
      Or are they employing some other technique to do so?

Can anyone please shed light on the above.

Regards,
      hawx

Nautical Nonsense

Awesome

The oil supply is for lubrication as well as for cooling . A turbo spins over at 3,00,000 RPM . The oil acts like a bearing between the sleeves and when the turbo spins it creates heat . In a start stop situation like traffic lights normally the turbo does not spool at very high RPM to warrant a break down . There are even water cooled turbos , but I think the scorpio has an oil cooled one . I might not be correct though !

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hawx View Post
      All turbos needs lube. The manual of my car says somthing about idling before shutdown but only after long drives on heavy loads.. Most of my driving is on motorways and i just turn off the engine when I stop.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Now my actual question, the scorpio's new start stop system says it shutdowns the car if its idle for 3 seconds. Now since scorpio is turbocharged doesnt its turbocharger needs to have lubrication provided. 3 seconds seems to be too short for lubrication as per me. So wont the scorpio's owner face damage to turbocharger in long run due to sudden start and shutdown of car.

An article in autocar, it says the tech is relatively new and only time will tell about engine life,

A conventional electric starter motor works by engaging a small pinion gear with a large ‘ring’ gear fitted around the outside of the engine flywheel.

The latest stop-start technology looks much the same but the motors are more powerful, faster acting and more robust. Some are designated ‘TS’ for ‘tandem solenoid’ and designed to cope more smoothly with scenarios where the engine is about to stop and then the driver accelerates again.

So when it comes to durability and long life, all the bases relating to the starter gear itself should be covered, but the higher number of stop-start cycles lead to increased engine wear unless steps are taken to prevent it.

“A normal car without automatic stop-start can be expected to go through up to 50,000 stop-start events during its lifetime,” says Gerhard Arnold, who is responsible for bearing design at Federal Mogul.

“But with automatic stop-start being activated every time the car comes to a standstill, the figure rises dramatically, perhaps to as many as 500,000 stop start cycles over the engine’s life.

With low-friction bearing and lubrication technology in place the potential threat to engine life by stop-start systems should theoretically be overcome. But the current technology is still relatively new and only time will tell whether every car manufacturer has got it right.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...r-car-s-engine

"Omelette du
      fromage"

Awesome

looks like I created a misunderstanding.
      No you didn't, I just did not read your initial post carefully

There must be something different, as Mahindra won't send out a regular part (which needs idling care) in a vehicle which switches off even at a very short (3 sec) idle. So what is different? I would join you to wait for the experts to pitch in.

By the way, does the auto turn off in 3 sec feature work even at signals/junctions along a highway, during a continuous high speed drive?
      Ford Figo TDCi ZXI May '12 | Hyundai Accent CRDi Nov '05 | Honda Unicorn Mar '10 | Hero Honda Passion Sept '02

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by alexshom View Post
      There must be something different, as Mahindra won't send out a regular part (which needs idling care) in a vehicle which switches off even at a very short (3 sec) idle
      Micro-Hybrid Technology (Note: nothing 'hybrid' about it): Come to a halt, engage neutral and you'll see the start / stop light on the instrument cluster blink thrice. After this, the engine switches off to maximise fuel economy. This happens every time you come to a stop (say, at traffic lights). The electrical system is still working, but obviously the air-con compressor is deactivated.

Source- tbp.

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

hawx, i have a similar thing in my car, however it does not come on until the engine temperature has come to a certain level. On cold starts, the engine-stop-start feature is automatically switched off until the engine gets to the correct temperature. Do check if your car does that. If yes , the do not worry about it.

I am assuming you can also control if you want this feature to be ON or OFF? If yes, then do switch it off on cold starts.

If no for both these questions, then do not worry about it too much. Modern diesel engines are much better designed engines. Idling before start/Stop etc has been carried over from old-age engines and there is no substantial evidence to prove that it has increased the engine life nor there is evidence that it decreases engine life for the modern day diesels.

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

The skoda yeti manual recommends to just drive off after starting but idle the engine for a while before turning it off after a long trip.
      I was talking to a cab driver the other day about this. (btw, he had some 2L plus km on his Ford!)
      He said that he follows the practice of 3 minutes of idling after a long drive, which is fine and the reason for it are well understood. And then, he says, he turns the engine on and off again a few times in quick succession. Apparently, it helps in keeping the glow plug in good condition.

Any thoughts ? I have not spoken to other driver on this aspect yet, but planning to do that the next time I take Uber.
      Last edited by Yeti; 4th Apr 2017 at 16:21.

Trying to learn automotive
      maintainance

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
      He said that he follows the practice of 3 minutes of idling after a long drive, which is fine and the reason for it are well understood.
      What is the technical reason behind this approach ? 3 minutes ???

Thread Information