• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you feel like upgrading your ICE?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

The best way to avoid getting bitten by the ICE bug is to bite it before it bites you. This is what camchennai did.
      I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

Is now aware that he can set
      his status here.

Awesome

I think upgrades have mostly to do with pursuing what you like to the limit. After a point, either the money runs out, or we understand that it is ultimately about enjoying music (but enjoying it by reproducing it in the best way that we can). Hopefully, the realization dawns before the money runs out.

I don't think most of the upgrades happen just because the person does not like how the music sounds. They happen mostly because he/she wants to know how much better the music can sound. At that point of the upgrade cycle it is not just about the music, but about making it sound even better, or as closer to the real thing as possible*** (Pls see note at the end). After a point, it becomes an obsession fed not by music itself, but by the need for technical perfection, no matter what it costs. And then, a ways after that, the cloud lifts, and we all settle down with what we end up with, and we start enjoying the music for the sake of the feelings it evokes, and not for the perfection of its reproduction.

IMHO everybody should go through all this. We do come back to square one in the end, but we come back there far more aware than we were when we started out.

I think this applies to every hobby and not just ICE. The best thing to do is to let it run its course and enjoy the high of upgraditis horriblis while it lasts. After the high is gone, and we're back to earth, we generally appreciate the music even more.

*** I'm not in the "making music sound as close to the real thing as possible" camp any more. I've realised over time that there is a certain way I like my music to sound. Making it sound that way may not always make it sound like a live performance. Yes, I like my music painted with certain colour and hell, I connect better with it emotionally that way!

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
      Sensitive topic : IMHO only - Most of them who upgrade are weak minded. They don't listen to what they want but always tend to compare their setup with other's. Sometimes lost in priorities and mostly lost in what they really want. If people say "PASSION" - i get confused. People will upgrade as long as it is OPM!

P.S.: My first setup cost me 22k in my old car. My new setup till now cost me 11k. With the upgrades, total on my new car will hit 25k I still feel for 25k I could got an 24inches LCD TV or may be a round trip to munnar with my wife and children. I am not driven by passion as 25k is peanuts when compared to big bucks.
      I completely agree with the above.

But Arun 25K from 22K is still an upgrade....you see..an additional expenditure of 3K. Though you think so much about munnar and 24" LCD you still spend that on ICE. you see thats the thing what we called passion.

Though we have lot of commitments it's also important that one satisfies his desires, after-all it's what you earn for right.

in meditation

Awesome

IMHO if there comes a time when there is no more internet (thus no forums) , nobody will upgrade to the extent they r upgrading now.... just a thought
      2012 Skoda Laura 2.0 Ambiente - Pioneer 8490|PHD MF 6.2|HAT Mirus 6.5|Rockford Fosgate P3D4|Rockford Fosgate R600-4D|Rockford Fosgate R500-1|Kicker PKD4|Stinger Roadkill|Custom Ported Venom Box|Shok Industries Speaker Cable 16 Gauge| Monster Xln 202|kicker XI46| = ICEgasm........

2009 BMW 320D|2013 Toyota Fortuner Sports Edition|2014 Honda City VMT Diesel|

Diesel Head \m/

Awesome

Upgrade once and then ul know . There is always an itch for more . I resisted the itch for 3 years and then the hell broke loose . Same with mclaren1885. The point is when one gets the taste of something good they always want something more .

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
      I think upgrades have mostly to do with pursuing what you like to the limit
      A limit with a bottomless pit

Each time you get bitten by the bug, the deeper you dig your feet in this quick-sand!

After a point, either the money runs out, or we understand that it is ultimately about enjoying music
      Funny, you mention that! Because most often, we get so caught up in "competing" with the rest, trying to outdo each other or ourselves, that we forget to "enjoy" the music. The real reason for the upgrade to begin with!

At that point of the upgrade cycle it is not just about the music, but about making it sound even better, or as closer to the real thing as possible
      How does one judge, what is the "real thing" supposed to sound like?

After a point, it becomes an obsession fed not by music itself, but by the need for technical perfection, no matter what it costs
      Obsession, I agree! Technical perfection? I doubt! Being such a subjective topic, defining "perfection" is like searching for a needle in a haystack!

After a point, I think serial upgrades, aren't about music anymore. It becomes "bragging rights". And human tendency is to keep changing, because change is the only constant thing! And pursuit of new things. Good or bad!

IMHO everybody should go through all this. We do come back to square one in the end, but we come back there far more aware than we were when we started out.
      Wiser words, were never spoken before

Quote Originally Posted by shyam View Post
      Same with mclaren1885. The point is when one gets the taste of something good they always want something more .
      I am a hard man to please. Just this morning, Tadu and myself were discussing how driving a 150PS car is becoming so boring
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Diesel Head \m/

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      How does one judge, what is the "real thing" supposed to sound like?
      Have you sat in a concert? If you the only one without the mic and stuff then thats what stuff really sounds like "NATURAL".

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Born and Brought up in Calicut now a Bangalorean!
      Am njoying my this wicked plan...

Quote Originally Posted by shyam View Post
      then the hell broke loose
      Now I think it did ... am njoying every bit of the debate...

I wish I had a bit more money and if I could stay in SG a bit more longer... I see a JL HD 900/5 letting it go... next time honey next time...
      The Journey Has Began And The Poison Has Slowly Diffused Into My System

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Tough question and even though answer to write and accept for both the writer and the reader.

*** Please note that the following content is only and only from my point of view and my own judgement towards my self .. not pointing or talking about any other xyz person on and off the forum .... Do not take it personally ***

As the official OCU ( Obsessive Compulsive Upgrader ), Serial Upgrader, Smuggler (using the boxes of the equipment ) yada yada of the ICE section and slayer of many non-ICE no upgrader policy holders ... I can think of many answers that one can pen down for this question ... some of them could be :

1) Because I can .. plain and simple .. take offense if some one wants to ..

2) I was bored ...

3) I'm a show off ..

4) As my dad says to my mom when she asked him why he does not object to this 'addiction' of mine .. " At least he's not doing drugs or something harmful to himself .. let him enjoy his time .. sooner or later he won't have this time "

Honestly .. I've never given much thought to why I upgrade ... most of the time it was " If this can sound this good right now .. how better can it be if I upgrade this or that " ... and luckily all of those upgrades have been worth the time and money and given me the improvement that I was hoping for .. I'm a music nut .. for a very long time but never had the chance to listen to it on a personal level .. my volume, my songs, my time, my equipment ..

Home audio is not personal enough .. i can't put on 50 Cents or Eminem in the house at the kind of volume I like as well as the lyrics being explicit .. In-Ear entertainment is not fun enough for me .. I don't wanna just listen to the bass .. I want the physical presence as well .. I want it to go louder .. be more fun ..

That leaves only ICE for my personal listening .. my 20 minute drive to the college and 20 minute drive back from college and may be a detour somewhere is the only time I can put on my music, hear it how I like, enjoy it to the fullest ( and more than lucky to have a gf who is more of a music nut than me ) ... and if it is within my physical, financial and intellectual limits to make that experience better in any way, I sure as hell will go on and do it ..

Coming to the dark side of things ... it's nothing short of an addiction and obsession as well .. the urge to try something new .. the time spent on the research ( people call it a wastage of time .. i beg to differ .. you would do the same while buying something that interests you .. call that a waste if you must ) , receive the package, take pictures from weird angles, hold it, read the manual, to install it .. hear the difference .. share it with everyone ( bones has mentioned probably the best reason for most of our upgrades ) .. flaunt it, review it, sell it, buy something better .. call it lack of experience, lack of judgement, young blood, lack of respect for money etc etc ... but you have to admit .. it IS fun .. it makes you happy if it's something that you enjoy ( be it any god damn thing on the planet ) ..

every one have their vices and poisons .. mine is ICE .. i'll enjoy it as much as and as long as i can .. the day i cannot and do not feel like it .. i will stop at the very moment ..

coming to a very very personal and i do mean personal thought that probably every single person has on their mind regarding MY upgrade fever .. " how does he upgrade " .. " must be a rich spoilt brat " ... etc etc .. while i do not owe any one any explanation or justification ... i do wish to share that i do not upgrade just for the heck of it .. if i feel that it can make a difference i plan to upgrade accordingly .. and by plan i mean a genuine plan .. i never upgrade before selling the old equipment .. the classifieds are a testimony to that .. yes i am not an earning member of the family but what ever expenses i get from the family are used sensibly and collected over time ( less eating out, taking the 2-wheeler instead of the car, less phone calls, less shopping etc ), my stipend during training ... i buy what i feel is right for my budget and need and not get something just for the heck of it ..

and speaking for everyone here ( my apologies ), all of us surely like to earn the right to upgrade .. saying " because I can" is not as easy as most people think it to be .. i prefer to earn that right .. be it through finances or through my studies .. other senior members slug it out in the office and their workplaces and do sacrifice a lot of other things to be able to upgrade ... only a handful of people know on the forum actually know how i was ABLE to get the Morel Ultimo recently .. the mono was purchased by selling the IDQ and the T500 so again .. we manage our finances, we know our priorities, we know what can be sacrificed and what should not be and will not be .. these things are not documented in the Build Logs so mostly the upgrades are taken for granted and a show off of our finances ...

we have a life outside of ICE .. ICE just makes it tad bit enjoyable and the upgrades keep the spices in it .. what's life if you don't have something to look forward to for yourself ...

ciao ..
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

Diesel Head \m/

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      Home audio is not personal enough .. i can't put on 50 Cents or Eminem in the house at the kind of volume I like as well as the lyrics being explicit .. In-Ear entertainment is not fun enough for me .. I don't wanna just listen to the bass .. I want the physical presence as well .. I want it to go louder .. be more fun ..

That leaves only ICE for my personal listening .. my 20 minute drive to the college and 20 minute drive back from college and may be a detour somewhere is the only time I can put on my music, hear it how I like, enjoy it to the fullest ( and more than lucky to have a gf who is more of a music nut than me ) ... and if it is within my physical, financial and intellectual limits to make that experience better in any way, I sure as hell will go on and do it ..
      +1 to that dude. It is exactly what I do too. Many a times mclaren1885 has abused me saying i dint call him for a drive which would have mostly been detours to enjoy music and drive. As a matter of fact at times listening to music even inside the car with other people itself makes me feel "nah!! i like listening to music alone". As you said the sacrifices to be made are many but when the music does play well, it is a different story altogether.

To add to the topic what if someone is geeky enough to add stuff inside their car and experiment on the electronics. It is all a learning experience too. The "fun" to see something that you had thought off do it even better than you expected is something beyond rational thought .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information