• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bull bars: The real menace

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      Why does muvs/suvs install these rear ones,some maruthi cars too have them. I mean i dont have it in hatchback/sedan but when it comes to muv everyone is asking to get one atleast a rear bar.
      I think they do it to protect their car's rear from being bumped by bikes, autos and sometimes other cars who sometimes fail to stop well within time in stop-go-stop traffic or during emergency stops. But i have seen one case where one cyclist's leg got entangled in rear metal bar of a car, meeting his untimely death as the car driver dragged him on road for 100 metres or so, while trying to flee, with his head rubbing on the road causing instant death. That incident stops me from installing even a rear one on my Storme. The dents and scratches are OK, but killing someone is not. Moreover most of MUVs have high GC and bumpers would take most of such hits, while saving the tailgate and lights in most cases, so it is not needed at all. Such a metal bar will not help in case of being bumped by a bus or a truck as the point of impact will be higher than the rear bar, and in other cases (bike/auto/small cars), bumper would take most of the impact. So why to put on a killer rear bar on a SUV/MUV.

Front bull bars are a big no for one's own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Rather than Banning Bull bars, Police should focus on people maintaining safe distance between vehicles. Esp the bikers tend to squeeze in and Put scratches on paint/ headlights.
      Police can't do anything. It has to be ingrained in our upbringing, as part of our education and moral system, to not cause harm to other's property. Our culture/value system lacks a lot in this regard.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      Are rear metal bars useful or do they cause more damage to the vehicle.
      Rear bull bars are also not recommended, they may save your bumper from small nicks but in case of big hit they cause more damage, as the bumpers are designed to absorb some of the impact, whereas rear bull bars are directly attached to the chassis and in case of rear impact they transfer all the force directly on to chassis
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by coolash View Post
      , as the bumpers are designed to absorb some of the impact,
      It is in the name They are there to be able to bump safely and cheaply(if you will). However, they do not exactly come cheap and with body colored ones, the nicks are not easy to ignore either.

And we are a nation that keeps plastic covers on seats as long as they last !

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
      It is in the name They are there to be able to bump safely and cheaply(if you will). However, they do not exactly come cheap and with body colored ones, the nicks are not easy to ignore either.

And we are a nation that keeps plastic covers on seats as long as they last !
      It's not about cost only but about safety, the impact gets transferred directly to rear bull bar mounting points.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by coolash View Post
      the impact gets transferred directly to rear bull bar mounting points.
      Yep, It seems the bull bars cause more harm to the pedestrian in case of a impact. The hood is designed to ensure lesser impact to the person, but I guess the bull bars just crush them to death.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
      Yep, It seems the bull bars cause more harm to the pedestrian in case of a impact
      Bull bars are always more damaging to pedestrian. The hoods are designed to throw the pedestrian onto the roof of the car, rather than under the car.

While i do not know how authentic is this accpetable and non-acceptable bull bars, but with reference to the post Bull bars: The real menace - Page 3, the ones which are designed sloping backward while going from bottom to top seem to be acceptable ones, would try to throw the pedestrian onto the cars' hood and then roof. While the non-acceptable ones are just vertical columns (crushing the pedestrians with full force) or are sloping backward while going from top to bottom, pushing pedestrian under the car.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      The hoods are designed to throw the pedestrian onto the roof of the car,
      The first company I worked for had a team that modelled this scenario to assess the impact. The bonnets of some cars have this feature now;they open on impact.
      From what I could tell, there is limited scope and they design to the T. I am not sure if the slant of the bars make much difference. It is difficult to tell without extensive modelling and tests.. that is my point.
      (Nostalgia - I did some work on the s/w algorithms for front radars for adaptive cruise control back then, now a reality!)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Saw a crysta zx(one with 7 airbags) with 'live to drive' sticker and a 'save wildlife' sticker. This guy was having a big bull bar, dont know how he will save wildlife or himself with that bull bar in a crash?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information