• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help buying my first car

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

need help buying my first car

Hi everyone,

My first post here. I have been riding a splendor for the last 10 years. Finally decided to buy a car for commuting to work and ferrying parents from one place to another (weekend trips). Estimated daily commute is about 25 - 30 kms. Since the monthly usage is less than 1500 km, I thought of going for a petrol car. My priorities are as follows

1. Budget on road price - upto 6 lakhs (can extend to 6.5 although it would be a crunch)

2. Petrol car

3. Rear seat comfort most important ( for my parents, I test drove a swift dzire and my mother had back pain with 10 min of driving the car)

4. Boot space ( i am not very keen on this, but something to hold luggage for a weekend mysore/bandipur trip)

Since this is my first car, I have no idea about what to expect out of cars in terms of gear box, steering capabilities. I intend to keep the car for atleast 6-7 years.

So far I have considered these options based on my budget alone.

1. Maruti swift
      2. Hyundai i10
      3. Hyundai i 20
      4. Verito
      5. Tata indigo CS
      6. Maruti ritz
      7. Ford figo ( although I hear it has bad ground clearence and after sales)

Members, your input will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Shyam

You call, I don't
      respond..NEUTRAL ! I call, you
      don't respond..YOU DIE !!

Awesome

I would pick the Ford Figo to go with the parameters you have mentioned.

Would fit your budget. Decent ride for fellow passengers. Pretty good build quality and riding comfort. Decent boot space too. Its been a proven car with no known major issues. Driving comfort is pretty good too. GC is not as bad as perceived by some. It all depends on how to take humps, pot-holed roads... With a decent driving style, you'll never feel issues with GC. The only possible factor could be mileage which maybe a trifle low compared to Swift/Ritz or i10. But again, this too depends on ones driving style, so with good driving habits you can get the best possible mileage which I think should be somewhere around 12-13 kmpl (with AC) within city limits...?? Figo (petrol) owners here can comment better on the figures ! Dev11
      Last edited by Babbanji Franklin; 23rd Apr 2012 at 12:27.

Love your ride, and it will
      love you back

Awesome

Indigo Manza and Honda Brio would be good options as well. Worth checking out IMO

WHiTe LiGHTNiNG™
      Hyperian

Awesome

Among all the cars listed, I will suggest having a look at Ritz, Ford Fiesta classic Lxi (6.5L OTR) & Indigo Manza if petrol. In case of Diesel, check out figo, Micra D or Vista D
      Caveman on Ketosis

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kumar.sunil View Post
      Indigo Manza and Honda Brio would be good options as well. Worth checking out IMO
      Hi Sunil, Thanks for the input. I initially thought about brio, but looking at it on the roads, I thought the rear leg room was lesser than figo. Any thoughts on this? Regarding manza, it falls slightly over my budget ( and i have been told tata vehicles go through issues on and off - small but troublesome)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Babbanji Franklin View Post
      so with good driving habits you can get the best possible mileage which I think should be somewhere around 12-13 kmpl (with AC) within city limits...?? Figo (petrol) owners here can comment better on the figures ! Dev11
      Ya, it’s true that driving habits/style contributes majorly in FE! As per my experience, Figo petrol is worth to achieve anything between 11-13.5 kmpl in city like Pune. On highway you can easily achieve 16+ kmpl. Swift/Ritz will give you 1-2 kmpl more, may be!

Quote Originally Posted by saccatash View Post
      3. Rear seat comfort most important ( for my parents, I test drove a swift dzire and my mother had back pain with 10 min of driving the car)
      Rear seat comfort is appreciably good in Figo. Thanks to the seat size, back angle, leg space, cushions and reasonably good thigh support, and also set on stiffer side but balanced suspensions to give comfort and driving fun, both. But I doubt that, for a person with good height; say 6'+ (or even for 5’10”+), head room may play the spoil sport.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
      Among all the cars listed, I will suggest having a look at Ritz, Ford Fiesta classic Lxi (6.5L OTR) & Indigo Manza if petrol. In case of Diesel, check out figo, Micra D or Vista D
      thanks Mutantx, I will consider ford fiesta classic....

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

Hello Shyam,
      The cars you have shortlisted are pretty good Ford is good including their after sales service at-least not worst than TATA, Ford Figo has all what you are looking for however I would suggest you have a look at Nissan Sunny it has really good space for the rear passangers. Good Luck !

Love your ride, and it will
      love you back

Awesome

I initially thought about brio, but looking at it on the roads, I thought the rear leg room was lesser than figo
      I have heard that its far roomier than it looks from the outside. Take a TD, that should tell you whether is suits your requirement.

i have been told tata vehicles go through issues on and off - small but troublesome
      Even I have heard the same, but I have been told that the Vista and Manza are far more improved than the previous generations.

What I meant was you can consider these two as well in your list. I am not sure about the Manza, but the Brio might just tick all your boxes, and its a VFM product

Awesome

saccatash , here is my take on this deal:

Swift
      1.Excellent after sale service
      2. Proven engine
      3. Fun to drive

Ritz
      Same as above if you are ok with rear shape.

Figo
      1. Steering feedback and handling.
      2. Satisfactory leg room for rear passengers.
      3. Value for money.
      Low ground clearance is a thing of past ( as per my understating, newer Figos do not have this problem).
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information