• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Experience at HMP - More of talk less of Delivery

Getting back to being myself
      .. slowly

Awesome

Post HELP!! Experience at HMP - More of talk less of Delivery

I just completed the 3rd free service of my Hyundai i10 kappa from HMP chennai on Sunday. After two days of driving, there was only one thing that came into my mind. Did these guys actually do something ?

My First service was total BS as they just washed the car and gave it back. The second service was better and there is nothing really to comment about the third.

This is what happened. I was allotted a booking number according to the usual process. I was allotted a Service advisor who seemed like a robot to me. He started shouting every point that was mentioned in the user manual one by one. :sleeping-blue:

I declined wheel rotation as I had just changed the tyres.

I just nodded for each and we approached my car. As usual, I had a list of problems and this time the list was a little long.

My first problem was the Clutch grabbing and he wanted to call it Clutch juddering. Before even I could explain fully, he went into clutch riding. He said, "Sir, everyone does Clutch riding and it will easily cause premature wear. I will have it checked". I replied "I know what clutch riding is and what it will cause". He had no mood to listen. He said "Sir, every vehicle is different and the clutch in i10 blah blah".

My next thing was the brake pedal hard even with the engine on. He said "Sir, this pedal will be set according to your booster. Any change will cause the shoes to slip. I will anyway check the tension of the belts".

Ok live with it. Next was some minor rattles here and there and one particularly occuring when revved hard. When revved beyond 2.5K RPM in 3rd or 4th gear, the AC controls fascia give a krrrrr sound. Next was somewhere near the rear door and the driver seat belt cavity. He immediatlely said "Sir, belts give noise when they are let loose". I replied "The rattle is clearly when I'm buckled up and not when let loose and I don't drive unless I'm bucked up".

He promised to update on the delivery time by 4PM on the same day. It was 5 PM and he made a call "Sir, it looks like the drive shaft oil seal has broken and the transmission oil is leaking. We will fix it under warranty but we need a day for observation. I will update you on the progress tomorrow". I replied "That's ok, take your time, but get it fixed".

Next morning. I call back asking the progress. He replies "Sir, that oil seal is actually not a problem and no we are looking at your clutch and other issues". The next moment it occured to me that the oil seal was a goof up to extend the delivery. It was 5:30 PM already and there was no call. I called him 4 or 5 times and there was no answer.

I called up the service center and told them about this. They replied back "Sir, he is in a delivery process with a customer and we'll ask him to call you back".

He calls after 30 mins and tells, "Sir, I was caught by the cops for talking on the phone when test driving your car and I paid Rs 500".

FIRST LIE. The service center told me something else. OK, I don't care. I ask him about the car and he says "Everything is perfect and you can take the car tomorrow".

Next morning, I go, do a test drive and everything seems fine. The brake pedal was hard as earlier and he had some big time excuses for it. The total bill amount was only for the engine oil.

The clutch cover assembly was replaced and he told me about it. He said "Sir, it has happened only because of clutch riding. This will not be covered under warranty and as a good will gesture and wanting you to come to us again, we waive you off the cost." Saying that, he wrote a big note "GOODWILL GESTURE, WAIVED OFF Rs 1825" on my Receipt.

1. This morning, I was driving to work and the clutch started grabbing again.

2. I went to top up Nitrogen only to discover that wheels have been rotated in spite of me declining them.

3. The spooky rattles are back and none of them are fixed.

This is the clear strategy of these people.

1. Never listen to the customer. The customer is a fool who has put his money in a car. People at service centers are GODs who know the in and outs of the machines.

2. This is India and people "adjust" with a lot of things. So, when a customer reports a problem, try, try and keep trying to convince the customer that there really isn't a problem and make him live with it.

3. Try to blame the customer as much as possible for whatever happens. If the clutch slips or grabs, tell him that he is clutch riding. If the brakes fail, tell him that he is brake pedal riding.

4. As long as the car is under warranty, try their best to avoid replacing parts. Once the warranty is over, give a list of parts-to-be-replaced and warn him that his car will break into pieces if he does not adhere.

Today, I got a feedback call and I told them whatever I had to. They had only one answer "Sir, please bring the car".

My questions:

1. Why not let a customer talk and listen to his problems ? When you can listen so much during feedback, why not listen when you really have to ?
      You see a 1000 cars but this is my only car.

2. When I give a bad feedback, you say "Bring it". I ask "When things cannot be attended in 2 full days and for god's sake that was a regular service, how do you expect things to get right when I bring it back ?"

All I could do to myself was

Professional service ? Only in terms of speech but nothing in acts.

Can someone please advise me what to do next. I'm tired of giving feedback and listening to "Sir, Please bring the car" monologues. PLEASE
      2008 Hyundai i10 1.2 Sportz - 45,000 kms
      2012 Bajaj Avenger 220 - 4,900 kms
      2013 Tata Indica Vista - 3,300 kms

2004 Maruti 800 BS II - 59,000 kms - SOLD
      2007 Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3 - 22,800 kms - SOLD

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Very disgusting behavior from the SA. I can only think of two options.
      1. Try to talk with SA and tell him nothing was fixed and that you are not happy with it, see if he improves next time
      2. Change the service center and go to some other place.
      2005 BAJAJ PULSAR DTSi 150 ES
      2006 BAJAJ DISCOVER DTSi 125 ES
      2010 JAN' MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT LDi

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Scary but unsurprising tale of ASS negligence. The reason why we dont end up with more failed engines is because the cars start off so good from the factory.
      I'd take my car to a different place.
      It helps if you can get the SA genuinely interested in you and your car. Dont drop off the car and leave immediately. Hang around for as long as you can afford to, and be nosy, with your car's work and others. Build a rapport with the SA and the actual mechanic/greasemonkey who is working on your car.make small talk, lend a hand with small stuff while they work on your car, etc. Dont make it too obvious though
      It will really work better if you are being genuine when interacting with them.
      If your attempts look fake, the whole thing will backfire
      Try and gauge if they are sincere with their work. Its easy to see if they are lazy. Even if they know they are being watched, its difficult to hide all traces of years of bad work ethic.
      If the workshop has "rules" saying you cant hang around, find another workshop.
      If an SA is not interested in listening to your complaints and is obviously giving taped answers to your queries, take your car to another one. It will not be easy to find a good SA in an AS place where there is a really bad one. Also if you antagonise the useless SA, he will bad mouth you to the 2nd one you approach.
      In a situation like that, you have two options,
      1.Start fresh at another Workshop
      2. Suffer in silence during this service and find a better SA at the same place during the next one.
      Sorry if I sound preachy.
      Just trying to help. You probably know all this stuff already.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Secret

you've just ended up with a IKNOWITALLYOUKNOWNOTHING type of SA. you're better of escalating this matter to have HMP sort this out for this situation and then move on. guys like this exist and its just that their management needs to know it.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Friend this has to be escalated with hyundai. 3 days for 3rd service is just not acceptable. I'm sure he will claim that you had given a long list of issues and that is what tool time so be very clear with exactly what happened.

I'm sure you will get their customer care mail id from hyundai website. Shoot them a mail. I' sure they will reply. Its when we customers dont react to such things that the chalega attitude becomes part of their behaviour
      Ford Figo TDCi, Fiat Adventure 1.6 [Sold], Ford Fusion 1.6, Fiat Uno 1.2[Sold], Maruti Zen [Sold], Premier Padmini [Sold]

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

I also think you better escalate. These issues come mostly with SAs who think they know much. From what I have seen at various places, the mechanics working on the car seem to be more knowledgable than these SAs and also more humble and approachable.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

.. slowly

Awesome

@ pulsar_swift,

The SA is not a kind of person who would listen to me. He trusts none other than himself.

@rippergo,

Your ideas are great but this service center will not allow me beyond the lounge :x
      You have made a very valid point about this SA talking about me to another one.

@avinash, @gemithomas, @KRRaj,

I talked to the Customer relations manager at HMP. He asked me to bring it tomorrow.

Update: The Service Manager has asked me to bring the car tomorrow morning. He said it would take 2 days if they have to review everything that I have said.

I'm a bit wary about few things:

1. Is it really worth the effort ?
      2. When they checked nothing during servicing, what will they check now ? :roll:
      3. The SA is bound to blame me again. But even If I'm clutch riding (which actually I'm not) how can the cover assembly fail in 2 days ?
      4. A stupid question: Will the guys do something that I cannot find with a vendetta ? :roll:

Please advise

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

I think you should escalate, make sure this guy has a long refreshing swim in the soup he so lovingly prepared, and then burn your bridges with that service station. never go back there. I wouldnt. but I definitely would do my best to make life hell for him.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

@para_7k - I have had big issues with HMP chennai already and have shifted over to KUN kotivakkam. PM me your name and number and I will give you a ring
      Regards,
      Prasana
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

.. slowly

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post16003.html#p16003
      rippergeo ยป Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm[/url]]I think you should escalate, make sure this guy has a long refreshing swim in the soup he so lovingly prepared, and then burn your bridges with that service station. never go back there. I wouldnt. but I definitely would do my best to make life hell for him.
      HMP was supposed to be the best as it is run by Hyundai itself. How wrong I was

Thanks for all your suggestions

Prasana, I will PM you my number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information