• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nomadic Drives : into Tamilnadu

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Nomadic Drives : into Tamilnadu

This is a collection of our trips into Tamilnadu. I have combined our couple of trips over last few years into this thread.

1. Kanadukathan-Rameshwaram- Dhanushkodi Madurai
      2. Kanyakumari-Vattakottai-Padmanabhapuram-Poovar
      3. Pondicherry - Chennai
      4. Kodaikanal-Poomparai-Madurai-Thondi-Muthupettai Lagoon-Vedaranyam-Tharangambadi
      5. A trip to Nilgiris via Shivanasamudram falls, Somnathpura temple, Mysore, Bandipur, Mudumalai, Masinagudi and Gudalur

All three trips are in sequence one after the other, next posts about Tamilnadu will be stacked up in this thread itself.. please read on..

************************************************** *********************************

The first trip being mentioned in this thread happened during begining of 2012. I got motivated by Mr. J.Ravi to post this travelogue. This one is dedicated to him and his wife for their passion for road trips and the spirit to share their experience with all of us here.

The beauty of this trip for me is, "it is totally un-planned". I was exhasuted by three consecutive weeks (including weekends) of 14-16 hours of work. Wanted a real break. So while having a dinner, it was decided that we would drive out next day morning.

So, next day morning we hopped into our car at 3:30 AM and drove out. Daughter slipped into her sweet dreams on the rear seat.

after few minutes, wife asked " where are we going ?"

I was busy resetting the trip meter.

Let us first go and get some money from ATM. I said. After some time, found an ATM and topped up the wallet.

restarted after checking the wheels for any puncture etc. Clock showed 3:45 AM.

I do not want to go to Udupi, Mangalore, Belur, Halebidu, Sringeri etc. We have been there so many times !, she said

So, what about Mysore, Coorg ?, I said,

Why do you want to waste your money ?, we have been there thrice already in as many years !!!

Chennai - Pondicherry ?... No !
      Bandipur ?, Ooty ? Coonoor ? ...No !!
      Munnar ? Kochi ? Thekkady ? ... it is good, but why do you want to spend money again in expensive Kerala ?
      Kanyakumari - Poovar ?... we can hit some beaches !!, I said , i got a cold stare which reminded me that we have been there already.

Thus another 15-20 minutes of "I Propose and She Dispose" cycle continued.

Are we going to Tamil Nadu ?, She asked

Why ? what made you think that ?, I asked

then why are you at silk board , driving towards electronic city ?

then it struck me, why not Tamil Nadu, we have not seen much of authentic, traditional and enchanting tamil nadu.

Yes, I said, But where in Tamil Nadu ?, She asked curiously

wait, you will come to know !!

soon we drive past electronic city fly over, attibele toll plaza, hosur checkpost.

I pulled into a fuel station which was open and fill the tank to the brim.

I paid the money in cash, thanked the attendent, thanked tamilnadu government for the cheaper fuel and drove on

Clocked showed 5 AM. Wife swiched on the Suprabhat by MS Subbulakshmi. It was time to wake up the Lord of Seven Hills.

Soon the Lord was up, but still i had no clue where all i should go in Tamil Nadu.

Soon we crossed Krishnagiri, then i made up my mind, i will drive further on NH7 as roads were excellent.
      more over, we had already been to Vellur, Kanchipuram, Thiruvanmalai, Pondicherry, Chennai etc.

Then shw saw a board which mentioned Madurai, She smiled, don't tell me we are going to Madurai !!!

Yes, that could be one of the destinations.

Okay, then i can buy a Madurai Silk Sari, she was beaming ear to ear.

I was speechless !!!
      Last edited by Nomad; 20th Oct 2014 at 23:15.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	83666

We drove on, after an hour of drive, the above view attracted me on the left hand side of the road. I pulled aside for a picture.

It was a beautiful dawn. last about 3 hours i was listening to the sweet roar of iVtec engine, But i was mesmerized by the early morning tweets of the birds. We were the only one on the highway for some time. Occational trucks disturbed the wonderful sound of tweets.

Wife and Me spent some time just standing and watching the dawn, It was one of the best start we could have got on a road trip, some 160+ KMs away from home, a beautiful dawn was just right thing to happen to us.

It was indeed beautiful, the picture does not make justice to the nature's wonder. We silently watched and listened.

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	83669

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	83668

Name:	DSC_0006.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	83667

After some time, got back into the car, daughter was still in her dreams, we drove on.

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	83670

Sun eluded us for some more time, clocked showed 7 AM, Daughter got up by this time. Then he made his appearence as if he was waiting for her to wake up. I parked the vehicle aside for this picture.

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	83673

A Ghar Ho to Aisa (ofcourse a weekend home)

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	83674

We drove further on, with Sun trying catch up with us (or is it vice versa ?).

Name:	DSC_0024.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	83675

Name:	DSC_0029.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	83676

As if Sun was trying to play hide and seek with us

Name:	DSC_0033.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	83677

Name:	DSC_0042.JPG 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	83672

this would be the last post for the day, feeling sleepy, but i learnt today, how to post a travelogue and upload images.

Will continue tomorrow when i get more time...
      Last edited by Nomad; 24th May 2012 at 23:30.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Wonderful narration of event Nomad.007...waiting for the complete TL
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Lone Ranger

Awesome

Wonderful. Bring on the rest, No EMI style please.
      "We Ride therefore we are"- RTMC(Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club) Website:http://rtmc.info/site/
      |2006- Honda Unicorn - 50K - SOLD||2007- Maruti 800 AC 43K - Happy Motoring||2008- Suzuki Zeus -25K - SOLD||2010- Schwinn Sporterra - 7K-Go Green|
      |2009- Royal Enfield Thunderbird -85K- Happily Thumping|"Rabid dog club: Bite first bark later "

Lost & searching..

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad.007 View Post
      Then shw saw a board which mentioned Madurai
      Welcome to the city Nomad.007 Is this your first trip to the one of a kind, stunning & beautiful city that never sleeps ?
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Thanks very much camchennai, raama, inpersuitofpwr for your encouragement and appreciation.

When there is no penalty for prepayment of EMI, it is better to prepay when-ever possible. I will try to write as much as possible.
      But yesterday, i learnt that writing a travelogue is some hardwork, especially to the creativity challenged people like me. Reducing the size of the pictures is also some hardwork, especially when one lacks both the tools and skills.

I remember visiting Madurai as a kid with my parents as a part of their South India trip in a bus. This was my family's first visit to Madurai. previously once, we had driven through the city on way to sourthern most tip of India main land, but did not stop over.

I know it is Friday today, I will try my best.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Breakfast @ Karur

Clock was fast approaching 8:00 AM, we were already on road since 4+ hours already. Everyone started feeling hungry. So it was time for breakfast.

We saw a diversion to our left which mentioned Karur. We entered the road towards the town. I was not aware of any resturant in Karur.
      But i went with my gut feel. Checked with a traffic police man for the town bus stand and some good resturant for breakfast. I find it amazing that when we ask for directions in english, the response was in tamil, but still we managed to understand it.

Soon we were in front of the Karur Bus stand, found this resturant which had good parking space.

Name:	DSC_0064.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	83689

Found that the Sangeetha Resturant was having good patronage of customers as it was buzzing inside. We found place to sit on two different tabels. Wife and Daughter took seat on the near by table.

Name:	DSC_0066.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	454.7 KB 
ID:	83690

We ordered Idli Vada Sambhar and Dosa for all of us. For a typical north indian, Idli Sambhar is simply an Idli Sambhar. But for a South Indian, there are different types of Idli Sambhar. Udupi Style, Tamil Style, Button Idli, Mysore-Bangalore Style, Tatte Idli, Rava Idli, Shetty Hotel Idli, so many different versions, different tastes.

In my view the difference is in

how soft and pluffy the Idli is ?
      What is the shape and size of the Idli ?
      How Chetni is made, how many different types are served ?
      What are the ingredients that go into Sambhar ?

Similar in Dosa, types are enormous, may be it is a PhD subject.

What we had for breakfast was these, Yummy !!!

Name:	DSC_0055.JPG 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	83688

Name:	DSC_0052.JPG 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	83687

Soon, we were out and back in our car. I found the town very clean, road were good.

Name:	DSC_0069.JPG 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	83691

Name:	DSC_0071.JPG 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	83692

Soon we turned right and re joined the NH7 under the bypass fly over at this junction

Name:	DSC_0073.JPG 
Size:	337.1 KB 
ID:	83686

I had enquired with the cashier at the resturant about some attractions, he suggested us to visit Chettinadu. He told us we need to take diversion from Dindigul which was another 70 odd KMs from Karur.

So, Chettinadu here we come !!!...
      Last edited by Nomad; 25th May 2012 at 11:13.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

WOnderful narration

But this one took all the attraction for me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad.007 View Post
      Okay, then i can buy a Madurai Silk Sari, she was beaming ear to ear.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Thanks for the TLOG Nomad.007 , keep them coming. 100 Likes !! Enjoying while reading
      Never Say Never Again :)

Specially for Photography Section - If i post any pic in photography section, Please click and view in full screen for correct resolution and clarity. Thanks !!

Freedom of Speech?Join GH
      Addicted to Turbo

Awesome

Wonderful Narration
      Ertiga VXi (2014)
      Ritz VDi ABS (2012)

Fiesta 1.6S (2010)
      Alto K10 Vxi (2010)
      Nissan Sentra 1.8S (2005)
      Swift Vxi (2006)
      Santro XG(2006)
      Alto Lxi(2005)