• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hazard Lights

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hazard Lights

We need everyones opinion on the use of Hazzard Lights. When do we use it, under what circumstances do we use it?

Please share your knowledge.

Thanks.

Awesome

jase, as per my understanding on hazard lights, it should be used only in below situations:

1. When there is a breakdown on the road (this is best usage of the flasher lights).
      2. When there is an unusual or sudden situation (e.g. accident, road blockage etc ) coming up ahead and you want to warn traffic behind you.

However it is common that hazard lights are used in fog, rain, while towing, for picking/dropping passengers on roadside etc. In my opinion, usage of hazard flashers in these fashions downplay the importance / usefulness of the same.

Edit: Further, in my opinion, using flasher lights while driving in rain/ fog is really bad practice because one may not know if there is genuine breakdown on the road.
      Last edited by yksharma; 14th Jun 2012 at 19:06.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

Traveling...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by yksharma View Post
      Edit: Further, in my opinion, using flasher lights while driving in rain/ fog is really bad practice because one may not know if there is genuine breakdown on the road.
      you are right. In fact, the flashing light in such situations will be a disturbance for other drivers as it will blind them and make it difficult for them to adjust to low light conditions.

:)

Awesome

I have seen in Kerala, when you are at a cross junction, hazard lights are used to indicate that you are going straight

I think the right usage of electric indicators is not documented anywhere in the rule books in India. Am I right? So the best sense prevail

-T

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

AFAIK, you're not supposed to use the hazzard lights during rain, snow, emergency or for any other disaster. Hazzard lights are only for vehicles when they are stationary. But that does not apply to India. In India we use it for everything.
      We use it even for people who do not have any other reason but to use it. Such is the Indian rule. We like the lights all over the vehicle, well we use it. It looks like-CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE 4TH KIND!
      So what the hell, does anyone care? Not many people care and not many people know the rules about the usage of Hazzard lights. Some people like lights all over their cars so they use it. Big deal!!!

Bangalore

Awesome

Well, I saw another interesting use for the same last night at a signal at abt 10 P.M.
      A lady who appeared to be learning how to drive had them on. She stalled a couple of times (as with anyone learning) before she was able to move on.

Coming back to the question, when should we use hazard lights? I guess it would be any situation wherein you would want to warn other motorists about a potential or impending hazard on the road.

Resident Visitor
      You ask any ricer, any serious
      ricer. It doesn't matter if
      the other guy is racing or
      not. A win is a win

Awesome

When there is an unusual or sudden situation (e.g. accident, road blockage etc ) coming up ahead and you want to warn traffic behind you.
      I believe the ford figo has a feature that the hazard lights flash automatically if you brake suddenly from high speeds. I experienced it once in my friend's figo. It's a useful thing.
      Jesus had a Honda.. John 12:49: 'For I did not speak of my own Accord'

2015 Maruti Alto K10 | 2012 Honda City | 2014 Mercedes Benz B180 CDI | 2008 Skoda Octavia

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by xander View Post
      I believe the ford figo has a feature that the hazard lights flash automatically if you brake suddenly from high speeds. I experienced it once in my friend's figo.
      Yeah, it comes into action when there is hard breaking at the speed exceeding 96 kmph . Nice feature to have, it will decrease the risk of getting rear ended or at least decrease the intensity of impact.

Up and Running

Awesome

In a 100km/hr speed limit high way, if you are forced to drive at 60km/hr or slower because of poor visibility, it is better to turn on the hazard lights. This will indicate the faster moving vehicles that you are moving slowly and take precautions. Huge trucks which runs at 40-45km/hr speeds run with hazard light on in the highways.

From Wiki : This function is meant to indicate a hazard such as a vehicle stopped in or near moving traffic, a disabled vehicle, a vehicle moving substantially slower than the flow of traffic such as a truck climbing a steep grade, or the presence of stopped or slow traffic ahead on a high speed road. Sometimes, they are used in severe fog conditions

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      In a 100km/hr speed limit high way, if you are forced to drive at 60km/hr or slower because of poor visibility, it is better to turn on the hazard lights.
      I would beg to differ on this. As per my understanding, when in low visibility conditions, all vehicles should slow down irrespective of the speed limit. In low visibility like in rain/fog, one should use fog lights ( though not every vehicle has fog lights, at least in India).

If in low visibility, all vehicles are running with flashers lights and if there is breakdown in dead right fast lane, then this vehicle can not be distinguished from other vehicles because all vehicles will be running with flashers lights set to ON.

But I would like to be corrected if it is not the case. We can debate further with inputs from fellow members.

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      From Wiki : This function is meant to indicate a hazard such as a vehicle stopped in or near moving traffic, a disabled vehicle
      I agrees with this .

Thank you!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information