• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Restoring/Repairing Hyundai Sonata Gold 2003

07 Indigo Grand 16V

Awesome

Need Help Restoring/Repairing Hyundai Sonata Gold 2003

Hi All,

I recently bought a used Sonata Gold from dealer (Meeramotors from mira road mumbai BEWARE) but got cheated. dealer had had done patch job or should i say temporary jugad which gave up after 1500KM, since there is nothing much i can do besides shooting the *******. I am thinking of restoring it back.

These are the issue I am facing with the car. any help will be much appreciated.

1. Excessive Negative Camber in Left Rear Wheel (Advaith's Diagnosis is knucle and lower/upper arms needs to be replaced for both sides price quoted is 35K only for parts).
      2. Sound from font wheel when taking tight turns (As per Bosch Service Center it is Drive Shaft which i really doubt).
      3. kat kat sound from left front on bad roads. ( Again SA from Bosch says lower arms which i agree because had similar kind of sound in Palio)
      4. Car Overheating only when AC is on otherwise needle remains halfway(Service center needs check for this)
      5. Oil leak from engine.
      6. Car Jerks very badly if do normal shift. but is kind of ok when i press clutch a little and accelerate. do you guys think i will have to replace flywheel
      + clutch as well, like pradeep had to in his embera.

Next obvious question is should i get all this done from HASS or outside i do not know any good garage for these kind of cars
      any clue of how much it is going to cost.

Attaching photos of the rear wheel so expert can post if knucle is really needs replacement or changing bush and/or upper arm will take care of itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0111.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	87944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	87945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	87946
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	87947
      All the tyres are brand new 1900kms old you can clearly see how badly tyre is wearing from inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	87948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0116.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	948.3 KB 
ID:	87949

Global Poster
      _/\_ in bhai universe trusts

Awesome

Hi smokin901 : Welcome to GH. Also Welcome to the Sonata Sufferers club. Though I donot own Sonata and donot know much of it , have seen some complaining about Sonata maintenance costs. Though this is common with most of the Luxury D seg cars.
      Another question is how much FE do you get and for m how much you bought it??
      In BHAI the universe trusts _/\_

Wear HelMet to avoid Hell Meet

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

smokin901 Welcome to GH and I should say you own th most comfortable luxury sedan yet. It is a really great car and the sound quality from its stock speakers will blow you away as far as the maintainance and parts are conserned they are cheap compared to other cars in its segment and they engine heating issue which your conserned when the a A/C is on it is a comon problem on the Sonata the engine really dosent heat up it is just a gauge mis-reding. I would suggest to your car fixed at the HASS however you should be really lucky for them to have the spare parts in stock !

I really love this car and I hope you own it for a long time !
      once you have undercover brother there is no other !

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by smokin901 View Post
      1. Excessive Negative Camber in Left Rear Wheel (Advaith's Diagnosis is knucle and lower/upper arms needs to be replaced for both sides price quoted is 35K only for parts).
      Diagnosis is correct.

2. Sound from font wheel when taking tight turns (As per Bosch Service Center it is Drive Shaft which i really doubt).
      Diagnosis is correct. Drive shafts could've been busted.

3. kat kat sound from left front on bad roads. ( Again SA from Bosch says lower arms which i agree because had similar kind of sound in Palio)
      Diagnosis is correct.

4. Car Overheating only when AC is on otherwise needle remains halfway(Service center needs check for this)
      Check Thermostat.

5. Oil leak from engine.
      Which part of the Engines? it could be the Head Gasket.

6. Car Jerks very badly if do normal shift. but is kind of ok when i press clutch a little and accelerate. do you guys think i will have to replace flywheel
      + clutch as well, like pradeep had to in his embera.
      I reckon you have to replace the set.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

07 Indigo Grand 16V

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by undecover_bro View Post
      smokin901 Welcome to GH and I should say you own th most comfortable luxury sedan yet. It is a really great car and the sound quality from its stock speakers will blow you away as far as the maintainance and parts are conserned they are cheap compared to other cars in its segment and they engine heating issue which your conserned when the a A/C is on it is a comon problem on the Sonata the engine really dosent heat up it is just a gauge mis-reding. I would suggest to your car fixed at the HASS however you should be really lucky for them to have the spare parts in stock !

I really love this car and I hope you own it for a long time !
      Since my family feel comfortable in the car I will get it repaired. Had spoken Advaith Mission road. they can arrange for parts in 3 days and if some rare part needs replacement then it may take close to 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by machi vijay View Post
      Hi smokin901 : Welcome to GH. Also Welcome to the Sonata Sufferers club. Though I donot own Sonata and donot know much of it , have seen some complaining about Sonata maintenance costs. Though this is common with most of the Luxury D seg cars.
      Another question is how much FE do you get and for m how much you bought it??
      Well it is not so bad. I am getting same FE as my old car but with 100% AC. (not using AC since the overheating problem started) while coming back from Mumbai to bangalore I got 13KMPL with 5 adults and more than 200KG of luggage with 100% AC. in Bangalore city i got 9KMPL my palio used to give me 15 on high way and 9 in city without AC I have no issue paying up for quality work provided it is really required.

Quote Originally Posted by avinash View Post
      Diagnosis is correct.

Diagnosis is correct. Drive shafts could've been busted.

Diagnosis is correct.

Check Thermostat.

Which part of the Engines? it could be the Head Gasket.

I reckon you have to replace the set.
      Yes Oil leak is from head.

If thermostat is a problem then should it not happen all the time regardless of whether AC is on or not.
      is it really necessary to replace flywheel and clutch together. BTW what are the symptoms of busted flywheel

Secret

Car Jerks very badly if do normal shift. but is kind of ok when i press clutch a little and accelerate. do you guys think i will have to replace flywheel
      + clutch as well,
      Mate, Let me be more precise. If you are having Flywheel issues, then, you will have issues cranking the car too. You haven't mentioned that so, you may be ok there for the moment.

Check if The diaphragm spring is damaged or broken, this could cause the clutch plate to engage the flywheel unevenly when applied or released, which in turn causes vibration.
      AFAIK, the Sonata comes with a Dual Mass Flywheel. Therefore, if your car is run with this problem for long, then you may end up damaging the Flywheel and balancing a damaged Dual Mass flywheel may not be something you'd want to do. Therefore I suggested changing them both together.

note : Please bear in mind that my suggestion is only based on my understanding of the prob as explained in your post. ONLY after driving can one be certain of the core issue.

07 Indigo Grand 16V

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by avinash View Post
      Mate, Let me be more precise. If you are having Flywheel issues, then, you will have issues cranking the car too. You haven't mentioned that so, you may be ok there for the moment.
      Yes I do have issue starting car everytime it is left off for more than 30-60 mins which I though was because of startup relay, dealer had connected the ground from relay directly to -ve of battery got know about from hyundai emergency service so thought may be it is because of that.

Check if The diaphragm spring is damaged or broken, this could cause the clutch plate to engage the flywheel unevenly when applied or released, which in turn causes vibration.
      AFAIK, the Sonata comes with a Dual Mass Flywheel. Therefore, if your car is run with this problem for long, then you may end up damaging the Flywheel and balancing a damaged Dual Mass flywheel may not be something you'd want to do. Therefore I suggested changing them both together.
      only reason i asked if it necessary so that i can save some money there but then again if it has to be done then has to be done. does anyone know how would clutch + flywheel for sonata gold 2003 cost.

note : Please bear in mind that my suggestion is only based on my understanding of the prob as explained in your post. ONLY after driving can one be certain of the core issue.
      I completely agree. my reason to start this thread was so i have some knowledge about the issue before I send it repair, due lack of proper knowledge it is very easy for HASS or any other garage to fleece me.

Secret

due lack of proper knowledge it is very easy for HASS or any other garage to fleece me.
      Thus far I believe Hyundai service have given a proper diagnosis.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

smokin901,

I too own a used Sonata (V6). Let me state initially that you take your car to an authorised service centre. Just do some research & ask around which A.S.S. deals with Hyundai premium cars. Do not just take it to the nearest A.S.S. you can find. Also, initially get genuine parts & renew it, for peace of mind. The parts of these cars are rather expensive, that is something you have to live with. By the looks of it, your clutch is going. Flush your radiator & put new coolant. Also, open up your head. You may just need a new head gasket.

I will repeat again, keep all your parts genuine initially. Then your ownership experience will be good. Afterwards, you can find an independent workshop to work on your car.
      I'm not into exotica & badges, just horsepower & handling.

KaTooMed

Awesome

Had spoken Advaith Mission road. they can arrange for parts in 3 days and if some rare part needs replacement then it may take close to 2 weeks.
      AFAIK Advaith hyundai does not maintain a local warehouse and most of the parts needs to come from Chennai. Try Trident Hyundai. I have found that they seem to have stock of most items in their local warehouse in Bangalore and i have got parts for my Tucson (flywheel + clutch, waterpump, etc) within a day. In rare cases, some parts must be ordered from Korea which will then take more than a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information