• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A red hot install in a red hot skoda rapid

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Thumbs up A red hot install in a red hot skoda rapid

Firstly, it is great to be a part of GH. I would be pleased to learn from the “who’s who” of the Indian ICE circuit. As a prologue, I would want to share with you what has been installed in my 2month old red hot skoda rapid:

Equipment List:
      1) Alpine 117E;
      2) Rainbow CS 265.25Germanium 6.5" 2 way Component Set (Bi-amped and powered through);
      3) Mosconi One 120.4;
      4) Gladen M-15 Sub-woofers used in a parted and sealed enclosure (powered through);
      5) Mosconi One 240.2;
      6) Bull Audio 2 Gauge Amplifier Wiring kit;
      7) Gladen Zero RCA's;
      8) Stinger Roadkill for heavily damping doors, boots, rear parcel shelf etc.;
      9) Two distribution blocks from Audison.

Pre-install:I was in talks with Mr. Gunbir Singh of BBW Distributors (hereinafter "Gunbir") for a music system that meets my requirements. I had an opportunity to discuss the available options with a few of my friends and a few Tbhpians as well. After much deliberation the aforesaid individual items were chosen for the install. It was decided that the install will take place at Driven (at East of Kailash).

About the install: I am lucky to be in Delhi NCR wherein we not only have access to some amazing international quality equipment but are in a position to get installs from people who are aware of their job and are sensitive to customer demands. I am happy with the workmanship of Driven Car Audio and would recommend their services to other people.

Positives from the installation:

1) Dedicated Team [Subhaan, Farhaan (I think I have again miscued his name) and Mukesh];
      2) Detailed workmanship [I shall post some work in progress pics which shall give you an idea of what I mean];
      3) Helpful owner of the shop [I can't really say if Mr. Rana knows or understands the nuances of car audio installation (quite like me) but I always sensed his eagerness to help me, he offered me food and drinks (of course, non-alcoholic) throughout the day, ensured that my pointers were taken and incorporated well by his installation team, from amongst his team he certainly knew who is good at what and made each team member do 'only' what he is good at];
      4) I don't know how big/small my install was in the commercial sense. Probably quite a small one. Still Mr. Rana ensured that all his team 'ONLY' worked on my install during the course of the day. Therefore, no other cars were booked for the day. To top it, I realised that jobs re - at least - 3/4 cars were not accepted and returned during the course of the day. I even noted Mr. Rana thwarting one of his boys to have accepted a 2/3 minute job on some other car. In these commercial times, it certainly is a tough task.

Shortcomings:

Not really.

Listening Experience:

The Rainbow Germaniums- The speakers are very nice in their own unique way. They are the clearest reproduction of orginal sound that I could afford in this price bracket. They completely suit my listening tastes. Be it remixes of 80's disco funk, or classics like stairway to heaven, they all sound great. The speakers are at their best when belting out punchy numbers with low to medium male vocals with tight and busy mids (an eg could be Puff Daddy's tribute to Notorious Big viz. "i'll be missing you"). If remixed reggae, remixed disco, R n' B, dubstep etc. is your taste, the speakers are more than reccomended.

To clarify, since I had already penned down my experiences on the ICE section of Tbhp, I have cut, copied and pasted my from earlier postings as it is. However, this is what I had written further to the aforesaid then (i.e. before the speakers had fully run in and or I had checked the quality of some of my audio files):

“If any one of you would have visited Tbhp in the last month or so this is what I The speakers never feel short of breath or shrill but singers like Gloria Gaynor (in "i will survive" - original cut/non-remixed) indicate when the speakers are not at home (this doesn't mean they perform poorly, its just that probably another set of speakers from a different brand could have 'probably' fitted the bill better). In other words, in songs where vocals dominate the show and there is no adulteration from bass, the airiness of the tweeters can add to vocals by opening them up further. This may not be what everyone prefers. I am not really sure on this one, but the extra-airiness might be due to the biamping. So subject to confirmation from the gurus, I think if you like anadulterated vocals or like to listen to vocal dominated songs, do not biamp the germaniums. But here I must also clarify that when a freind of mine (who is a music freak, a guitarist and a decent vocalist) heard "the gig in the sky" on my speakers. he just loved it. In other words, he contradicted me and said Clare Torry's vocals sounded amazingly good on my setup. But one thing is certain, the components are very very good and do their job very very well. The tweeters are not at all bright and are very open and airy. On "FULL" volumes too, there is no evidence of shrilling or listening fatigue. As they are running-in, their tonality is making its journey from very good to excellent. I really like them!!”

After interacting with Gunbir, I was given to understand that the reason for the ‘added’ aggressiveness may be the quality of my Gloria Gaynor mp3. I then borrowed an original CD from my friend and yes, I was super happy to learn that “it was not the germaniums, but were the germs of an adulterated mp3 (claimed to be ripped at 320kbps)”.

After the run-in, I am proud to say that I am happier than ever. The music is great, in fact, so great that I drive for an hour to/from my office irrespective of the fact that my office is 5 minutes from my house. They are magical n have a tendency to lend a soul to music. I may be ill-informed, but I feel that the bi-amping has only helped me attaining more control, balance and panache to the tweeters. It could also be due to the class A/B amplifiers, whose experiences are summarized herein below:

The Amplifiers- I am in love with the Mosconi sisters (the 120.4 and 240.2). They are amazingly nuetral in their sound. They have a lot of power and always have enough juice to keep the setup running at high volumes for long durations. The best part about them is unadulterated amplification. They do not seem to colour the sound at any level. After hearing them for some - considerable - time, I have started understanding the meaning of true reproduction. They are small amplifiers in size and their outward appearance is rather industrial. However, amplifiers are meant to be functional and utilitarian and not beauty props AND these Mosconi's are freakin' good at at what they do. I think they are the highlight of my setup and probably shall remain with me for years altogether.

The Gladen M-15 subwoofers- Superb value for money. These sub-woofers are a great fit in setups which are SQ oriented. They are tight and gel amazingly well in the sound stage. At times, they are so well integrated with the front sound stage that its hard to tell what rests in the boot. They are not SPL subwoofers. But since I am running a pair of 15"ers, I hardly miss a beat/thump. They sound like a dicotheque on wheels and all passengers in my car get a lazyboy massage on their seats.

The Alpine 117- Frankly speaking, I like the sound signature of this head unit. Apart from that I haven't explored the parametric/equaliser settings of the HU. It plays my songs well and I like what it does. What is bad, is its slowness, folder-wise scrolling of an USB is a quite a downer. However, once there (in the desired folder etc.), the way it plays music is quite interesting. Its sound is milder than say a pioneer or a kenwood thus listening to music at higher volumes for longer is easier. They minimize listening fatigue. The HU is nice but not entirely value for money. P80RS I hear is better value for money. However, having no personal experience on this front, I shall remain silent.

Overall Rating : 9/10 (of course, relative to money expended). I have again gone on to improve the rating from an 8 to 9.

Special Mention- I specially thank Gunbir Singh and Jasdeep Brar for helping me choose what I wanted and supervising the entire install, personally tuning the system and even picking up the tools to work on the install to perfect it further. What these two gentleman know of audio and audio installs is quite inspirational. Now I don't only have the previlidge of having some great equipment installed by some of the best guys in India but also enjoy the previlidge of knowing them personally. I am happy to beleive that I can call them my friends.

* Since I am still in office, I am unable to post WIP/final pictures. I shall do that soon.
      Last edited by Samridh; 22nd Jun 2012 at 15:12.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Hi Samridh,

Welcome to GH. Why don't you introduce yourself properly in the intro section & also post pics of your red hot beauty?

Awesome

Thanks for the welcome Guru! I shall surely do that and since I do not have pictures of my car/install in the office, I shall post pictures once I am back at home.

Never believe it cannot be
      done - it's only that you
      haven't found out how!!!

Hungry

Nice list of equipment.

Yes, you are right about the workmanship of Driven and about the BBW duo. They are always there not only for advice, but they also spend time with you explaining things and clearing your doubts.
      Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Micro Precision 3.16 | Rainbow SL NG coax | Mosconi AS100.4 | Genesis Profile Sub
      Image Dynamics iD MAX | Rockford Fosgate RFK4D | Gladen 13G & 11G Speaker Wire | NoiseKill/ Dynamat Xtreme
      My installs : www.facebook.com/AudioSymPro, www.AudioSymPro.com
      DampMat : www.facebook.com/Dampmat , www.DampMat.com
      WaterGuard : www.waterguard.in

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

congrats Samridh

When are we going to see some pics??
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Congrats Samridh
      Never Say Never Again :)

Specially for Photography Section - If i post any pic in photography section, Please click and view in full screen for correct resolution and clarity. Thanks !!

Awesome

1st set of pictures -Name:  1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  58.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  69.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	89340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	89341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	89342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	89343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	89344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	89345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	89346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	89347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	89348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	89349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	89350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	89351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	89352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	89353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	89354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	89355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	89356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	89357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	89357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	89358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	89359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	89360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	89361
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	89337  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	89362  

Name:	27.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	89363  

Name:	28.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	89364  

Awesome

More Pictures - Name:  44.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  22.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	89366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	89367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	89368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	89369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	89370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	89371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32.jpg 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	89372Name:  33.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  35.3 KBName:  34.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  33.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	35.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	89375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	89376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37.jpg 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	89377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	89378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	89379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	89380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	89381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	89382Name:  43.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  52.8 KB

Awesome

Just some more - Name:  11.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  44.1 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  38.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  50.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  35.6 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  36.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Size:  30.6 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  35.8 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  35.8 KBName:  8.jpg
Size:  35.1 KBName:  10.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  39.7 KB

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

Daammmn Hot !
      once you have undercover brother there is no other !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information