• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Renault Duster Test Drive Report

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Renault Duster Test Drive Report

Ok guys I took a test drive of the duster 1 hour before here is my review

1) looks - in one sentence if I need to explain how the duster looks I would say " Poor mans BMW x1" . Duster looks quite low slung and has a sporty look to it but it is no where imposing like the Scorpio and safari nor does it have that kind of bulk infact it is lower even then the ertiga though it looks eye catching it does not make that smashing imposing stance or look . The display model was brown and test car was red one .

2) interiors - Renault has given a huge boot space but compromised the second row . And many people were cribbing about it . If you pull the driver seat all the way back still you have good leg space but tall people might have a problem for sure .
      I tried seating with 2 other people in the middle row we sat comfertable but the middle guy was screwed because of the silly rear ac blower which is placed ergonomicaly very bad and eats the middle passengers leg room and also the ac vent comes straight on your face .

3) quality of the interiors - Though everything is well screwed and no visible panel gaps are there the interiors don't look like 8 plus lakh inr car. They are much ahead of the Scorpio and safari it just dosent give you a premium look or finish .

4) drive- now here it's were the duster scores high marks the visibility is good ( again no road ahead view like Scorpio or safari ) extremely smooth butter like gear shifts , precise , slick and the clutch too not very heavy nor very light . You can compare the clutch and gear shifts with skoda it is seriously very good.
      Zero turbo lag the car is just fun to drive and it pulls as low from 1400 rpm infact I was driving without any strain at 30 kmph in 4 gear and the car was pulling like butter . If Scorpio was the best and most easy to drive in the city the duster is ahead of it . It is seriously pleasure to drive . It was raining and there was a long line for the test drive but I did take a long drive dint rip it hard but I really enjoyed the drive .

Final words- the people were pouring at the dealership like crazy infact never ever must have so many people entered the dealership like today . Many people from all walks of life were interested in the vehicle .
      Will it give a threat to ertiga IMHO I think no ertiga is a better vfm package then duster for sure .looks wise yes the duster is unique my dad loved it a lot my bro found is better looking then Scorpio ( but was disappointed with back seat as he is 6 feet 2 inches tall ) both dad and bro agreed that safari is still king when it comes to comfort and space.
      Will it give tough time to Scorpio and safari again I feel no .
      So who can be interested in duster ? People who have small family of 5 can enjoy it , who were interested in a sedan but had dreams of having a nice outdoor trip in a suv .
      Anybody who have a family of 6 plus can surely look elsewhere .
      I dont think it can kill or even rival Scorpio in rural areas Scorpio can still be the king , but in cities again people with smaller families duster can be a very very great choice.
      My call - will I buy it ? Well depends on the ecosport if the ecosport disappoints me in the look department or price or if it's very cramped then I would take a hard call comparing the strome , xuv and duster and might pick one of them .

pictures are following taken with nokia lumia 800 on a rainy and super clouday day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000305-1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	90909

Name:	WP_000306.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	90910

Name:	WP_000307.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	338.8 KB 
ID:	90911

Name:	WP_000310.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	675.2 KB 
ID:	90912

Name:	WP_000311.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	688.2 KB 
ID:	90913

Name:	WP_000312-1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	90914

Name:	WP_000313.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	660.1 KB 
ID:	90915

Name:	WP_000314.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	536.9 KB 
ID:	90916

Name:	WP_000316.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	90917
      Last edited by mclaren1885; 4th Jul 2012 at 23:02. Reason: Placing images inline.

The Wandering Monk

Awesome

Good one Raja16.. Yes, contrary to what many people would have thought, the car indeed is pretty low slung pic# 6 i guess has a Swift following the duster and both look to have pretty much the same height..

To me the car looks quite bland.. especially the rear looks pretty naked for lack of a better word..
      Especially the way it has DUSTER written in the chrome in the rear hatch looks completely out of place and a little awkward..

Perception differs.. Is there anyone here who likes the design?
      Mad-About-Cars

Truck Driver

Awesome

Looks like Duster will be yet another car in the market and will not pose any threat to any of the existing cars
      Xylo E8 - 2010
      Nano CX - 2012

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

The rear is an absolute turn off. The Fluence and the Pulse are so nicely done, who the hell designed this!
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

in meditation

Awesome

i love how the car looks , it looks different and cool , would buy if it doesnt have a waiting period
      2012 Skoda Laura 2.0 Ambiente - Pioneer 8490|PHD MF 6.2|HAT Mirus 6.5|Rockford Fosgate P3D4|Rockford Fosgate R600-4D|Rockford Fosgate R500-1|Kicker PKD4|Stinger Roadkill|Custom Ported Venom Box|Shok Industries Speaker Cable 16 Gauge| Monster Xln 202|kicker XI46| = ICEgasm........

2009 BMW 320D|2013 Toyota Fortuner Sports Edition|2014 Honda City VMT Diesel|

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Raja16 View Post
      I tried seating with 2 other people in the middle row we sat comfertable but the middle guy was screwed because of the silly rear ac blower which is placed ergonomicaly very bad and eats the middle passengers leg room and also the ac vent comes straight on your face .

3) quality of the interiors - Though everything is well screwed and no visible panel gaps are there the interiors don't look like 8 plus lakh inr car. They are much ahead of the Scorpio and safari it just dosent give you a premium look or finish ....
      Zero turbo lag the car is just fun to drive and it pulls as low from 1400 rpm infact I was driving without any strain at 30 kmph in 4 gear and the car was pulling like butter . .

Quote Originally Posted by avinash View Post
      ... The plastics were a bit rough in Texture. Well, atleast it did not try to pretend to be something else with glossy finishes et all. ...
      The ride was quite soft which also meant good amount of Body roll owing to height and the soft setup.
      The car I was in came with a 1.6 petrol engine mated to a 6 spd manual. interestingly, my friend was able to cruise in 40kph (top speed inside city) in 6th gear with zero reluctance. this motor was pretty tractable i must say.
      end of short review.
      Quote Originally Posted by avinash View Post
      .......This car seems to be a 4 seater with AC and 5 seater without AC. how you say?
      Seen the position of the rear blower? in the face of the rear center passenger....

Seems like my short review of the duster is the same as what you say...

http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?8...aunched!/page6
      Last edited by avinash; 5th Jul 2012 at 03:48.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!

Awesome

Thats a short and crisp report Raja16. Does the top-end model have 4WD/AWD system? or there is no option of 4WD/AWD at all??
      Many people all over the internet were screaming about Duster's 4WD system, that it will be one of the best, but suddenly after launch no one is talking about 4WD in Duster.

I guess even in the urban areas Duster would not be a threat for Scorpio/Safari. Because, Scorpios and safaris are the real truck like SUVs in the 10 to 15lakh segment and Duster can no way come near those SUVs.

According to me, Duster is just an enlarged Hatch until a proper 4WD system is available in Duster. (Even with 4WD, the Duster cannot do serious off-roading that even a Scorpio or a Safari 4WD can do.)

I guess, The Ford Ecosport will also be a turn off after its launch. Ford will anyways price the Ecosport slightly above the current Fiesta which is already over priced in that segment. So, if you consider the top end models of the "SO CALLED" SUVs (Duster and Ecosport ) it is between 14 and 15 lakhs on-road and if it was me, i will not buy a enlarged hatch for that price when i have options like XUV500, Scorpio and Safari which offers equal or better equipment level.

What i personally think is the advantage of buying a Duster or Ecosport is, it can give you an SUVish image when you click some pictures along with the fuel economy of a sedan!!!
      Last edited by gnishan; 5th Jul 2012 at 06:06.

Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gjbarani View Post
      Good one Raja16.. Yes, contrary to what many people would have thought, the car indeed is pretty low slung pic# 6 i guess has a Swift following the duster and both look to have pretty much the same height..

Perception differs.. Is there anyone here who likes the design?
      I personally like the looks of the Vehicle especially the front profile. Simple pillar blackening and good after market alloys will improve its looks further.

But, i will not buy this car because it does not have the huge SUV road presence when seen in flesh or on the road.

Name:  renault duster black 1.jpg
Views: 10097
Size:  196.9 KB

Freedom of Speech?Join GH
      Addicted to Turbo

Awesome

I like this vehicle. Duster in Black with Black alloys and chrome lip wud be a Gangsta Suv for sure. Similar to the ones in the US
      Ertiga VXi (2014)
      Ritz VDi ABS (2012)

Fiesta 1.6S (2010)
      Alto K10 Vxi (2010)
      Nissan Sentra 1.8S (2005)
      Swift Vxi (2006)
      Santro XG(2006)
      Alto Lxi(2005)

Spammer™

Secret

I was really considering the Duster even though i have booked XUV W8 but after the pricing i am kind of not interested. Top end diesel is 14.01 in Bangalore for that price i can get a W6.

Renault sees air bags as niche products and removed them from mid end models. I saw the car is flesh and i feel it has figo looks which is neither modern nor classic.

I am yet to test drive the car but after reading about the second row space i am not happy with it. I am 6.2" ft and i doubt the car can fit 5 people if i have to sit comfortably in driver seat.

Let the mad rush settle will go for a TD Next week

Either folks at Renault are mad or n00bs with this kind of pricing

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information