• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Unforgettable Trip to Mukurthi National Park

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

An Unforgettable Trip to Mukurthi National Park

This trip was done some time back.. I am not sure when... i think August 2006... This was done by a guy in my office who was frm Pollachi (or nearby) and so managed to get all the necessary permissions. We left on a Friday evening right from work. We had planned to leave early evening itself, but one of the big boss was comng and since she was caught in a meeting, we could leave almost an hour late.

We had arranged a KSRTC Mayura A/C bus and it was parked in our Office parking lot itself. Everyone leaving work was staring at the bus and what it was doing there. Anyway, more on this bus later as we were about to do much more with this bus.

Soon, everyone was in and we started. It was raining a lot and as usual Hosur Rd was jammed. We took almost 1.5 hrs to reach Silk Board. Some things never change here Then we took the right there. We had to pick some baggage somewhere along the way and my frnds in their infinite wisdom decided to take the bus in some narrow lanes... oh boy!!! was that an adventure or what... that huge bus in those small roads... finally at some points, we got down and directed the traffic to get the bus out of a lot of messes Somehow, we got everything and by the time we hit Mysore road, it was past 9pm and we were all hungry... finally we halted at Kadumane and we treated royally there... nearly 35 people in one shot.. had some tasty dosas...

soon we were off, we had to pick a couple of people in Mysore... we were supposed to pick them at 11pm, but when we finally reached there, it was 1am... hehe... finally we were on our way.... the road to Ooty was bad... even in that bus, we could feel the numerous potholes... it was raining very heavily, but the driver was quite good... we spotted a few bisons and an elepphant walking on the road near Bandipur... even with all the delays, we were at Ooty bus stand at 6am...
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

after some 20 minutes, we were again moving and this time to Upper Bhavani. I have completely forgotten the way.. all i remember is a yellow board saying Upper Bhavani is 60kms.. i was like, we will be there in 1 hour.. little did I realise how long it will take... u see we were going by the Bus itself... if anyone had been on this road, you will realise where the bus was being taken (Im sure HVK wuld have been here) ;-)

I think we went via Ooty-Manjur-Upper Bhavani route. Some pics on the way... these are frm a small VGA camera phone, so apologies for the awful quality

Name:  Picture(10).jpg
Views: 435
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  Picture(9).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  32.2 KB

Name:  Picture(8).jpg
Views: 439
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  Picture(6).jpg
Views: 443
Size:  20.3 KB

Name:  Picture(4).jpg
Views: 428
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  Picture(3).jpg
Views: 431
Size:  18.3 KB
      Last edited by KRRaj; 6th Jul 2012 at 09:41.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

We continued on our way to Manjur where some local guy was going to join us.

A Waterfall along the way.
      Name:  Picture(11).jpg
Views: 375
Size:  26.9 KB

A river on the way...
      Name:  Picture(13).jpg
Views: 363
Size:  26.9 KB

The weather was awesome and there was clouds and mist everywhere. Some snaps of the mist covered hills on the way...

Name:  Picture(15).jpg
Views: 372
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:  Picture(18).jpg
Views: 364
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  Picture(19).jpg
Views: 360
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  Picture(22).jpg
Views: 367
Size:  21.1 KB

The roads were very nice to drive, but small and the Bus was occupying the entire space. The driver was doing a swell job tho' ..

You can see the road in which the bus was going in the pic below....
      Name:  Picture(24).jpg
Views: 381
Size:  22.1 KB
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Soon we halted at Manjur. All of us had more than one cup of hot tea there, it was tasting good and was nice for the cold weather also... Soon the local guy joined us and we were starting again.

He was like why the heck did you get this A/C Bus... He was concerned about the AC on top of the bus hitting the trees. Anyway, he was confident that we can take the bus all the way. 3 more guys joined in armed with sickles and stuff... i was like ... soon realised that it was to cut down branches of the trees on the way... heavy rain had blocked the road a bit...

Some more pics along the way....

Name:  Picture(25).jpg
Views: 367
Size:  22.0 KB

The Hills completely invisible behind a wall of mist..

Name:  Picture(27).jpg
Views: 369
Size:  17.4 KB

These trees were found a lot on the way... Covered with Mist again...

Name:  Picture(28).jpg
Views: 375
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  Picture(29).jpg
Views: 363
Size:  22.7 KB
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

The AC was switched off cos we needed all the torque and power available. On the way, all the locals were shocked, literally I mean to see a huge bus coming that way... Apparently we were the first guys to bring such a big bus that way...This reaction was visible everywhere....

A look at the roads we took.... I stood in the driver's cabin to catch the snaps and chattin along with the locals...

Name:  Picture(30).jpg
Views: 366
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  Picture(31).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  Picture(32).jpg
Views: 364
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  Picture(36).jpg
Views: 357
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  Picture(37).jpg
Size:  36.9 KB

We came across a few instances where we had to stop the bus... the locals get down and direct the bus such that the AC on top does not get damaged... Due to the heavy rain, lots of trees had fallen... a few had been cut earlier... One such instance shown below where the guys were busy cutting down branches...

Name:  Picture(38).jpg
Views: 362
Size:  34.7 KB

-Calvin

Dai!!!

Super Moderator
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Sometimes, the best journeys are done in a large group where nothing seems to go right
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Secret

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by hrag View Post
      Sometimes, the best journeys are done in a large group where nothing seems to go right
      +1.
      I've had some similar treks in the past and I can vouch for Hrishi's words 100%.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Finally after cutting many branches and near misses, a scared driver finally got the bus to our destination, the Guest House.

This is the guest house at Upper Bhavani...
      Name:  Picture(40).jpg
Views: 543
Size:  32.8 KB

The Sight that greeted us after we got down from the bus...

Initial sights of the Upper Bhavani Reservoir... There was lot of mist and the reservoir kept appearing and disappearing...

Name:  Picture(39).jpg
Views: 360
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  Picture(41).jpg
Size:  25.6 KB
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

So after finally arriving, all of us stretched our legs and were milling around. All the luggages were deposited inside the house. Soon, we were all given tea. The Caretaker had got one jug of tea and whoa!!! what a sweet tasting tea. The best tea I have ever tasted so far in my life. Soon, he got 2 more jugs and they were emptied within no time.

Soon, we were ready for mini walk/trek nearby. We took the road which continued frm the Gues house. Due to the heavy rain, the road was full of fallen trees and branches.

Pics frm the walk/trek.

Name:  Picture(43).jpg
Views: 386
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  Picture(44).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  Picture(45).jpg
Views: 377
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  Picture(46).jpg
Views: 378
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  Picture(47).jpg
Views: 369
Size:  44.0 KB
      Last edited by KRRaj; 6th Jul 2012 at 09:42.
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

I learnt we were heading to a nearby small dam. The way was beautiful. Clouds of Mists appearing and disappearing and the complete silence all around. It was awesome.

There were quite a few streams and mini waterfalls on the way. Some more pics of the walk.

Name:  Picture(48).jpg
Views: 317
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Picture(50).jpg
Views: 311
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  Picture(51).jpg
Views: 319
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  Picture(52).jpg
Views: 309
Size:  42.8 KB
      Last edited by KRRaj; 6th Jul 2012 at 09:43.
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information