• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Downloads Thread - Share your Download Methods, Tips & Tricks, Hardware, Stats...

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Internet Downloads Thread - Share your Download Methods, Tips & Tricks, Hardware, Stats...

Lets share our internet download schemes, tips & tricks, hardware, connectivity, statistics...

Premium File-sharing Services
      : For a good part of last 8+ years, I was a devout user of premium file-sharing services, but recently with most of them getting shutdown or making drastic changes in their TOS, their usefulness has dwindled.

*******s: Ever since the premium FS sites began to go belly up, I had to resort to *******s. This may be free and the most popular scheme but I have my own reservations against *******s. I find them way too slow (dependent on seeding) and occasionally encounter incomplete and corrupt files.

UseNet: This is probably the oldest of schemes but I got warmed up to it only recently. The services are mostly paid premium grade but the experience so far has been very good. Will post a detailed experience later.

Download Clients
      • HTTP Downloads: Orbit, FDM, PyLoad
      • FTP: Filezilla
      • *******: u*******, BitComet, Transmission
      • Usenet: Sabnzbd

Download/Storage Hardware/Statistics
      • PC - Been using a 24/7 dedicated PC for a long time, but decided to go GREEN recently. The power/cost savings are immense.
      • Seagate Goflex Home - Originally a puny and crippled NAS device but converted to a full fledged headless downloader, runs Debian and uses Transmission for *******s & PyLoad for HTTP. Consumes ~6-8 Watts.
      • MicroPC - Re-purposed my old CarPC to a 24/7 full fledged headless downloader. Running Transmission, Pyload and Sabnzbd - Consumes ~9-10 watts.
      • Storage: ~22TB and counting - A full blown 24 Bay NAS is almost ready. Awaiting the enclosure.
      • Internet Connectivity: 2x 2MBPS Truly Unlimited DSL - No FUP!
      • Content: HD Media (primarily HD documentaries)
      • Statistics: ~500-750 GB/Month

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not mention or post links to File Sharing sites, Trackers, ******* sites or any copyright infringing content on this thread. Kindly keep this thread strictly technical.

Copyright laws across the globe are fast changing and being revised on a frequent basis. We don't want the long arm of the law to tap on our shoulders some day! Thanks for your understanding.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 11:09. Reason: Added Note
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

have been using *******s for quiet some time, never encountered a corrupt / incomplete file, its a little slow depending on seeds but works great ,heard its blocked these days but never had any issues to access it.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 10:14. Reason: Tracker link removed

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Have been using *******s since a long time and never found fake/corrupted *******..
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 10:14. Reason: Tracker link removed

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Premium File - sharing Services - Earlier, I had account with a premium FS provider but when few other sites were closed, I didn't renew my account further.

*******s u******* (software)

Download Clients - None (built in browser)

Download/Storage Hardware/Statistics

• PC - Desktop Intel P3.2 GHz and Dell latitude
      • Storage - 2 TB on the Desktop and 1 TB Seagate USB Expansion Drive
      • Internet Connectivity - Airtel 8 Mbps Plan
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 10:55. Reason: Torrent/FS Site Cleanup
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      Storage: ~22TB and counting -
      This is amazing! I have some 2.2 TB of total storage and I used to be quite proud of that!

For me downloading via u******* has been most common for last few years, but as you mentioned, I starting having reservation post I got incorrect file / incomplete file. Speed ofcourse is un-reliable.

Having Seagate Goflex Home is really good. I knew about it, but never contemplated having the device. How much did you get it for?

# I mostly download music, movies and interesting videos from net. Download of apps or games is very rare.
      # Monthly download of around 10-20GB, most of which get scrapped post use. (nothing compared to 500-700GB of yours )
      # Filesharing servers used for downloading. Haven't been to UseNet. Mostly free stuff.
      # Use Internet Download Manager to queue up the links and download. Does work well with feature to re-start the broken downloads, resume post disconnection. It allows you to give it a new link as well if older link has expired. Find it really good.
      # Some FS sites really offer compressed HD media content. A 1080p, 2hrs movie with decent frame rate genereally gets inside 600 to 800mb.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 10:57. Reason: Torrent/FS Site Cleanup

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      How much did you get it for?
      Got it new from a member of another forum (TE) for ~Rs.2500 or so. It was just the NAS base and didn't have the HDD which I added later.

Name:  sGh.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  6.6 KB
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      forum (TE) for ~Rs.2500 or so.
      Awesome deal dude....do let me know if you get to know about any other similar deal - I am interested! Did you buy the stock HDD from seagate or plugged in the ext USB HD drive and it worked?

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Awesome deal dude....do let me know if you get to know about any other similar deal - I am interested!
      What if I say it is often available as Factory Refurbished item on eBay.com for $10-$12?

The seller I got it from does some value additions in the form of installing Debian (onto an 8GB pen drive) and configuring it as a full blown downloader and hence I went ahead with him than waiting for the import and meddling with linux install. Here is the link to the seller and details.

FS: Networking Seagate GoFlex NAS - Low Cost 24/7 Downloader - Fully Configured Ready to Use

He is out of stock at the moment, but I heard he is expecting more stocks soon.

EDIT: It appears to be back in stock now!

Did you buy the stock HDD from seagate or plugged in the ext USB HD drive and it worked?
      I've plugged a 2.5" SATA HDD directly onto the base but a Seagate GoFlex 3.5" HDD would've been a better mechanical fit.
      The USB port is in fact used by an 8GB thumb drive which is holding debian install but you could always use an USB hub if you wish to add more USB devices.
      You could even use a 32/64GB USB Stick instead of an HDD for even lower power consumption. The flash media should theoretically last a couple of years of continuous use until you exhaust its max write cycles.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 20th Jul 2012 at 20:07.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

I used to have my old Desktop PC, a Celeron 366 as a download machine. But eventually had to let go of it after 13 years. I am using my Lappy to download stuff.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Jan 2013 at 10:16. Reason: Tracker info removed
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      I am using my Lappy to download stuff.
      If is is being used as a 24/7 downloader, in the interest of battery life, I suggest you remove the battery and use a UPS backup.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information