• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it struts or arms?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Is it struts or arms?

I want to know more about this issue. So GHs kindly help me out.

My Baleno's front passenger side suspension is making this 'clunking'/'thud'/'khat khat' noise, especially when I take it over on rough roads (like roads exposed with gravels and small stones only). Me and my cousin have been living with it for about a year I guess and now we are in desperate need for a fix.

Here is the feedback from mechs and friends.

1. Change the lower arm - no questions asked (MGA 7,500/- and Aftermarket 2,300/- per unit)
      2. Change the strut assembly with support rod ends of Esteem (MGA 6,500/- and Aftermarket 3,500/- per unit)
      3. Change (1) and (2)

I've read about this issue on various baleno forums and am definitely not inclined to change in one shot.

GHs, are there any DIY methods to check where is the trouble? Should I swap the struts and check? I tried procuring just the bush kits and was unsuccessful.

Finally, would the struts/lower arms from Esteem/Wagon R or Alto fit my Baleno? (I am just praying somebody would give me positive response on this ;-))

Thanks in advance GHs.
      Good day!
      Last edited by dream_baleno; 26th Jul 2012 at 12:22.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by dream_baleno View Post
      3. Change (1) and (2)
      That is what I would do, from past experience. If you want a new car like suspension with no noises, then that is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dream_baleno View Post
      Finally, would the struts/lower arms from Esteem/Wagon R or Alto fit my Baleno?
      Dont think that is a good idea, even if it "fits".

Edit - tagging mclaren1885.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Change the lower arms first. Baleno is known for weak lower arms.

If the problem still persists, then try the struts.

While changing the lower arms also check the tie rod ends and steering column ball joints. I had both if them fail on my Baleno.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - The Torque Monster.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - A 400+HP corner craving machine!
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Arc Audio.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Slow Coach

Awesome

You cannot change the suspension parts of a Baleno with that of an Esteem - forget the others in the list. The struts & lower arms are completely different.

I had a problem 5 years back at around 35,000kms of sound emanating from the driver side. Took to Sagar Motors (Banergatta Road), they changed the strut free of cost during warranty. However I noticed the sound persisted by which the warrant got over.

Later had stripped the front suspension in a private workshop (RAC - Kormangala), found out that the threads of the enclosed nuts in the lower subframe had worn out - where the lower arms bolt onto. Changed the subframe with OE SGP for Rs:15,000/-.

5 months back after running 85,000kms I had the lower arms changed with second hand original ones from used car market since the SGP ones were Rs: 8000/- with tax. Gave around 1000/- each.

The cheaper lower arm copies from Taiwan for 2,500/- do not last long as the original SGP. They wear out within 10,000kms whereas original ones last roughly 80,000kms on street use.

The older Balenos have a peculiar problem with steering column. If one turns the steering slightly and go over jittery road, from the column you can hear rattling sound. I had this problem inspected at Sagar, they said its common with Balenos & not classified as product defect. This sound does not emanate if the steering is held straight.
      Last edited by eapen; 26th Jul 2012 at 12:51.
      Slow Coach

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      check the tie rod ends and steering column ball joints.
      This was the first thing I bought in an excitment even before confirming. I purchased aftermarket steering ball joints and tie-rod ends which came to 2500/-
      When I took it to a mech to have it changed he said that the steering balljoints and tie rod ends are fine. He just twisted and shuddered the tires violently and confirmed it is not steering ball joint or tie rod ends. Moreover I do not have this 'play' on my steering wheel.

Can the struts be serviced? Or can you point me to any genuine spares in B'lore. I do not mind coming down to get the spares even if they are aftermarket. Maruti is daylight robbery. They were trying to charge me close to 11k for the steering ball joints and tie rods. They said this estimate was including a huge discount. Can you imagine???
      Last edited by dream_baleno; 26th Jul 2012 at 12:44.

Awesome

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eapen View Post
      lower arms changed with second hand original ones from used car market
      Thank you so much and I definitely like that part eapen. Do you think I have a similar chance?

Quote Originally Posted by eapen View Post
      found out that the threads of the enclosed nuts in the lower subframe had worn out
      Do you have anything like LOWER ARM BALL JOINT?

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Parts for the Baleno are expensive as they are SGP. Cheaper gas filled struts are available from TRW for 8k for a set of 4 in JC Road. I'm planning to get these for my car whenever I plan to restore it back, time permitting.

Like eapen mentioned Baleno struts do make a weird katak noise on bad roads and that's normal. But hard to say unless I hear it if that's the sound you are referring to or something different.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - The Torque Monster.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - A 400+HP corner craving machine!
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Arc Audio.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Slow Coach

Awesome

Below is a picture of the lower arms & lower sub-frame - taken after the new sub-frame change (its still black in colour)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balenounder.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	95028

The car still has the original steering tie-rod ends in good condition after 95,000kms of use - also called lower ball-joints. It is not visible in the picture since its located above the rear of the lower arm.
      Last edited by eapen; 26th Jul 2012 at 13:15.
      Slow Coach

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      TRW for 8k for a set of 4 in JC Road.
      Thank you very much @mclaren. Any thoughts about "Rane" and is it even available?
      Honestly, I reviewed most of your personal experience with Baleno and am completely convinced that whatever you suggest on Baleno should be good. Any particular shop for the above brand or contact number?

I thought I need to change only the front left strut. But looks like it might get deeper.
      I'm thinking of ways to check if all 4 are good.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much eapen. That is so nice of you to post pics. I see now. I guess I will get under my car this saturday. Again, do you think I might have any slightest chance of procuing a used strut and arm?

Awesome

UPDATE
      -------

I am totally excited( was unable to source bush kit earlier and hence the excitment) to post this update. I have just managed to procure new bush kit set for lower arm (L+H) and front strut bushes (L+H). The dealer has quoted 2500/- all inclusive. I am sure the price is good. The brand is NDC for struts and am not sure for lower arm bushes. But I've seen something similar in ebay.

Question is, if I replace all bushes now, do you guys think my issue is going to resolved? Kindly suggest as I'm taking my car to him to have this changed and also fit a lancer spoiler.

Waiting....
      Last edited by dream_baleno; 30th Jul 2012 at 18:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information