• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential Detailing Tools for the Weekend Warrior - what to use and where to buy

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Essential Detailing Tools for the Weekend Warrior - what to use and where to buy

More important than what chemicals/products you are using to clean your car, is what you are using to do it..So here's a pic to illustrate some of the basic tools to maintain the finish of your car/2 wheeler/SUV etc...

The pic is some of the stuff that i own and use...have more stuff but kept it bare minimum following the KISS principle -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27072012356.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	95224

1. Wash mitt: Microfiber noodle wash mitt
      Use: great for shampooing your car, reaches into nook and cranny's and can be used to wash with a rinseless wash like ONR
      Where to buy: Bringing Best BB Impex or Reliance Autozone

2. Wash mitt: Plain microfiber wash mitt from Meguiars

Use: great for shampooing your car, and can be used to wash with a rinseless wash like ONR
      Where to buy: Any shop stocking the Meguiars stuff

3. Wash mitt: Plain microfiber wash mitt from Jopasu or similar chinese stuff

Use: great for cleaning wheels or car, and can be used to wash with a rinseless wash like ONR
      Where to buy: Any shop stocking car accessories or Reliance Autozone

4. Car washing sponge / foam: The one displayed in the pic is a Lake Country Sponge. You can pick up some generic microfiber sponge from any big car accessories shop.
      Use: great for cleaning car, and can be used to wash with a rinseless wash like ONR. Only thing is cant be used for nooks and crannies
      Where to buy: Any shop stocking car accessories or Reliance Autozone

5. Drying towel: Waffle weave drying towel from Cobra Supreme Guzzler range.
      Use: great for drying car without wringing out the towel every five minutes and soft and gentle on the paint. Use only for drying.
      Where to buy: BB Impex stocks the Cobra Guzzlers. Or you can pick up the Meguiars Water Magnet range. No chamois please.

6. Drying towel: thick nap high gsm drying towel from Microfiber Madness (my favorite )
      Use: great for drying car without wringing out the towel every five minutes and soft and gentle on the paint. Use only for drying.
      Where to buy: Not available in India but can be substituted with Cobra Guzzler or Water Magnet

7. Hand applicator pad: microfiber blue hand applicator pad
      (pretty much standard, no name brands work fine)
      Use: good for applying anything which needs a bit of bite, like a abrasive compound / polish /paint cleanser
      Where to buy: BB Impex

8. Hand applicator pad: polyfoam yellow hand applicator (these are what i prefer for everything )
      Use: good for applying wax, sealant, tire dressing, or any qd...they absorb less and softer than mf blue pads...exterior as well as interior
      Where to buy: BB Impex or Meguiars / 3M shops

9. Hand applicator: german trifoam hand applicators
      Use: stiffer white side for applying any scratch remover / compounds basically anything with abrasives on it and softer black side is good for applying wax/sealant/glaze anything which is non-abrasive. Basically one pad can do the duty of both blue mf pad and yellow foam pad.
      Where to buy: Zaino India or BB Impex (check the CCS Euro Foam Polish applicator set)

10. All purpose microfiber towel: generally around 250 - 300 gsm microfiber towels (shown here the Eurow Yellow towels)
      Use: generally used for cleaning everything from paint, rubber, glass, interiors, wheels etc...from using for washing to drying to applying wax to removing it ...these are the hardest working towels of the bunch
      Where to buy: Zaino India or BB Impex or 3M shop or Meguiars

11. Old Toothbrush: yes the humble toothbrush (i prefer the soft Oral B ones for my teeth and car )
      Use: the swiss army knife...use it for light dusting of AC vents, crevices, cup holders inside the car or applying light cleaner. Outside use it for scrubbing tires or cleaning alloys (light pressure only) or cleaning the rubber beading on door or the black plastic bumpers and door handles I have quite a few old toothbrushes in my aresenal
      Where to buy: Any old toothbrush from local store

12: Detailing brush: envy style detailing brushes with soft bristles

Use: good for dusting car interiors, dashboard or cleaning wheel alloys with shampoo...similar use as toothbrush (err...not for teeth though )...lot of different kind available
      Where to buy: BB Impex

13. Interior Brush: stiff fibre brush

Use: Soft brushes can be used for cleaning / dusting dasboards or leather seats and hard brushes for cleaning car floor carpets or fabric seats
      Where to buy: BB Impex or buy the softest coat brush or a small nail brush from cosmetic stores or hard plastic brush for clothes washing

14. Wheel brush: shown here the Ez brush
      Use: for cleaning those fancy intricate alloys or for engine cleaning. Can be replaces with simple detailing brush or soft toothbrush or just use a microfiber towel
      Where to buy: BB Impex (Daytona Jr. wheel brushes)

Please use your common sense while use the above Most of them can be used for various purposes, not only for car but also around the house.

Q: Now, if you are short of funds or dont want to spend too much on stuff which you may not use often, then what should you buy?
      A: Simply grab a 5-pack of yellow Euro towels or any similar quality microfiber towels and thats it. You can use them in place of the wash mitts, use them for drying the car, for applying the wax or sealant or dusting the interiors...basically everything. Suggest separate towels for wheels, paint and interiors. If you want to spend a little more, grab a couple of blue / yellow applicator pads and you are set. Once finished cleaning the car, just toss them into the washing maching, throw in some liquid detergent and done.

Q: Which wash mitt to use or sponge ?
      A: Any one of the first four listed item is fine, preferably something branded.

Q: Which detailing brush to buy cheap?
      A: If you don't want to spend money on a detailing brush, then simply grab an old toothbrush which you ready to throw away. It will still work fine.

If we are willing to spend around 6-10 lacs on the car, then does it not make sense to spend a few thousand rupees on some tools to take care of it ?

P.S. Please carefully remove or cut the tags from towels you use and always wash it before first use
      Last edited by fordfan; 27th Jul 2012 at 14:01.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Loved the thread, could you also please tell me how I can buy stuff imported by BB Impex in Bangalore? Do they have dealers or a shop here? How do you usually get stuff from them?

Edit - Found your other thread - Detailing Supplies - where to buy in India?
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

live to drive

Awesome

fordfan,after reading your threads ,I have started washing my car regularly,and I just managed to wax whole car with formula1 wax.The results are encouraging, so I am planning to have full detailing set ,you mentioned.Thanks a lot

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

anilntny you are welcome...may i suggest getting a bottle of Optimum Car Wax? It's a spray wax so very easy to use, just one spray per panel and wipe off, i think that will give even better results that will please you more.

And do post some pics of your car, there's a thread for that

live to drive

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      anilntny you are welcome...may i suggest getting a bottle of Optimum Car Wax? It's a spray wax so very easy to use, just one spray per panel and wipe off, i think that will give even better results that will please you more.

And do post some pics of your car, there's a thread for that
      Done,thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I came across an online site called autofresh.in,I have placed my order for Meguiar's Ultimate Pre-Waxing Polish/Glaze- 14ml and
      Microfiber Car Wash Mitt for 559 including courier charges.Is the price OK? any idea about the site,it seems like a site owned by infibeam.I have bought many items from infibeam.I will share my buying experience once I get the products delivered.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
      I came across an online site called autofresh.in,I have placed my order for Meguiar's Ultimate Pre-Waxing Polish/Glaze- 14ml and
      Microfiber Car Wash Mitt for 559 including courier charges
      Even I had checked this site but hesitated to order but if it is associated with infibeam.com, it should be ok.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

live to drive

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by yksharma View Post
      Even I had checked this site but hesitated to order but if it is associated with infibeam.com, it should be ok.
      Lower right corner its written as "powered by infibeam" Thats why I went ahead with my order.

- - - Updated - - -

Lower right corner its written as "powered by infibeam" Thats why I went ahead with my order.They accept debit cards and have COD option too.If COD is there,we are safe.
      Last edited by anilntny; 12th Sep 2012 at 19:27.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
      They accept debit cards and have COD option too.If COD is there,we are safe.
      Right, Cash On Delivery is a safe option, let me check the site again. Thank you .

ironically a remapped tdi is
      faster than the next segment
      tdi at lesser price.

Awesome

Right, Cash On Delivery is a safe option, let me check the site again
      any idea of where to get a buffing tool..i mean a machine with round face which service guys use for teflon coating...we could use it, to lessen the mechanical work while polishing...

- - - Updated - - -

Right, Cash On Delivery is a safe option, let me check the site again
      any idea of where to get a buffing tool..i mean a machine with round face which service guys use for teflon coating...we could use it, to lessen the mechanical work while polishing...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by H Rajesh Kumar View Post
      Nopes, don't have idea about this, may be fordfan can tell.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information