• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: AC Foul Smell

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

AC Foul Smell

Dear all,
      My indigo eCS gives a somewhat foul smell when the blower is switched on without the AC. The stink is not too strong. But from past experience (my old alto) the stink is only going to increase with time. I know for sure the stink is not from the floor rug because the floor was laminated. The air that is blown from the blowers carries the stink.

What I want to know is, what causes this smell? What can be done to get rid of it? Car air freshners don't help much. The smell is mouldy.

Also, for the indigo eCS, where is the AC air filter located and can it be cleaned and re-installed at home?

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Is this smell is like smell of shokes? Usually ACs blow that kind of smell when compressor is not running and that is normal. In monsoon/rainy season that smell can go further worst and some different kind smells also can be felt so better to keep the compressor turned on.

And do you keep the AC on re-circulation mode or it is turned off? This maybe another reason for the smell because outside air maybe coming inside so check for that too.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 27th Jul 2012 at 21:02.

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by revhard_trb12 View Post
      AC Foul Smell
      Also, check A/C Drain pipe, it could be due to the blockage of the A/C drain pipe. If the water is not getting drained properly (especially in the rainy season) it can develop fungus and smell.
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anubhavt View Post
      Also, check A/C Drain pipe, it could be due to the blockage of the A/C drain pipe. If the water is not getting drained properly (especially in the rainy season) it can develop fungus and smell.
      Yes that is what I thought. Where is this fungus developed? How can I clean it? Where is this drain pipe located? My girlfriend's wagonR also stinks like a skunk. I and her dad intend to do a DIY cleaning as none of the mechanics take us seriously.

If you guys could point in a direction to look that'd be great. Also, where is the filter located?

Awesome

revhard_trb12 the A/C drain pipe and blower should be just underneath the glove compartment (most possibly). If you stand in front of the engine with the bonnet open, you should be able to see the drain pipe around the drive shaft. Another easy method is to park the car flat and run the A/C. Look right through the area where water is discharged. If possible, remove the blower (which is simple) clean it using toothbrush/petrol, dry it spray little wd-40 and reinstall it. The fungus could form alongside the blower grill. Hope this helps. Keep us all posted with pictures if possible.
      Last edited by dream_baleno; 28th Jul 2012 at 07:31.

spam king
      past the speed of sound

Awesome

i think the indigo CS does have a cabin air filter, it should be accesable from the passenger footwell

the easier way to dry out the fungus is to make sure that the drainpipe does not have any obstruction and when driving always switch it to fresh air with the air conditioner, the fungus develops due the warm and moist stale air accumulated in the car, in extreme cases you can use the heater(15-20mins at the warmest setting) to dry the fungus out, hope this helps, best of luck
      There is a Difference in Knowing the Path and Walking the Path-Anonymous Takla with Pincenez

Awesome

Sorry for the delay in replying. Since there isn't a place where I can work on the car, I haven't been able to look for the drain pipe. It has been raining almost continuously here. But I will try the heating part and will look for the cabin air filter near the passenger footwell. Many thanks for the tips. If and when I find it, I will definitely put up a DIY for the same.

Awesome

Sorry for the delay in replying. Since there isn't a place where I can work on the car, I haven't been able to look for the drain pipe. It has been raining almost continuously here. But I will try the heating part and will look for the cabin air filter near the passenger footwell. Many thanks for the tips. If and when I find it, I will definitely put up a DIY for the same.
      Since you said its raining continuously, try the heater method suggested by blackhorn, it really works.

Awesome

The heating method worked in my car. The wagonR however needs a carpet replacement and a thorough AC vent cleaning. That car is beyond repair regarding the stink.

Awesome

The heating method worked in my car. The wagonR however needs a carpet replacement and a thorough AC vent cleaning. That car is beyond repair regarding the stink.
      The heating method really works. I've tried it on the Palio. Did you take a look at AC vent/duct cleaners? I think they could be of use. Cleaning the drain pipe is also important.
      PS: Run the AC for sometime and do check if droplets of water come down from somewhere under the car. If they don't it could mean the pipe is clogged.

Bad stink could also mean that the heat-resistant material under the carpet of the car is soaked (due to water from above, or a leak somewhere). Once these things get soaked in water, they stink really bad. And eventually the whole upholstery of the vehicle starts to stink.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thread Information