• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Honda City CVT - engine braking, worn out brake pads

Awesome

Honda City CVT - engine braking, worn out brake pads

Hi all,

Thought this is technical enough to be put here. Basically this has nothing to do with petrol cars. So moderators, pl move to other sections if this is not the right place.

1. Can we use engine braking in a car with CVT or automatic transmission? I recently had to change brake pads for my Honda City CVT and to prevent further damage, thought I will use engine braking. Basically just move to 'S' when I want to slow/stop from 60 kph and move to 'L' when I am at 30 kph. Of course use brakes but a lot more lightly than I was using them before. Is there any problem with this? Can I shift to lower 'gears' in an auto, just like I do in my diesel Getz? I can't think of any reason not to, logically speaking. But wanted to check with some of you who may know more about this.

2. Wife complained of brakes not biting gradually enough. Service Advisor started giving gyan about 'Madam, no vehicle will stop quickly when it is going at 80kph' etc., We insisted that he should have a look. As I expected, he calls later and says brake pads have to be replaced. Front set. Rs 3000/-Car has run just 22k km. Thought it is too early for a brake pad change. We both are pretty sedate with Honda. The only explanation I could think of was the occassional resting of the foot on the brake pedal when the gear is in 'D' mode. We used to do this initially for about 2-3 weeks, and I totally stopped that afterwards (meaning I was changing to 'N'eutral whenever I had to stop, even if was for a few seconds). I am puzzled though - with just this amount of abuse, how can the brake pads get worn out so fast. Any views?

Thanks in advance!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Matiz 2000-03; Indica DLS 2006-09;Honda City CVT 2006-;Getz CRDI 2009-

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hi curious,
      brake pads in an automatic have the tendency to wear out fast compared to manual,because in automatic the whole stopping power is done by the brakes alone and not much by gear. Please dont shift to slow down because if you encounter a problem with the automatic it is 10 times the cost of brake pads.

I can tell you i change brake pads and even discs in a landcruiser prado every 20000km solely due to the automatic.

Many people who buy automatics are not aware of this problem.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post17897.html#p17897
      curious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 pm[/url]]1. Can we use engine braking in a car with CVT or automatic transmission? I recently had to change brake pads for my Honda City CVT and to prevent further damage, thought I will use engine braking. Basically just move to 'S' when I want to slow/stop from 60 kph and move to 'L' when I am at 30 kph. Of course use brakes but a lot more lightly than I was using them before. Is there any problem with this? Can I shift to lower 'gears' in an auto, just like I do in my diesel Getz? I can't think of any reason not to, logically speaking. But wanted to check with some of you who may know more about this.
      Whether the transmission aggressively shifts down on braking depends on programming, and no "family" car will have it programmed that way.

Like frankenstein said, the brake pads are a lot cheaper than the transmission, so please dont push the transmission to save them pads.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post17897.html#p17897
      curious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 pm[/url]]2. Wife complained of brakes not biting gradually enough. Service Advisor started giving gyan about 'Madam, no vehicle will stop quickly when it is going at 80kph' etc., We insisted that he should have a look. As I expected, he calls later and says brake pads have to be replaced. Front set. Rs 3000/-Car has run just 22k km. Thought it is too early for a brake pad change. We both are pretty sedate with Honda. The only explanation I could think of was the occassional resting of the foot on the brake pedal when the gear is in 'D' mode. We used to do this initially for about 2-3 weeks, and I totally stopped that afterwards (meaning I was changing to 'N'eutral whenever I had to stop, even if was for a few seconds). I am puzzled though - with just this amount of abuse, how can the brake pads get worn out so fast. Any views?

Thanks in advance!
      Holding the car at lights etc on the brakes, while it is in D does not really kill pads, I guess the vast majority of auto tranny users have that habit.

And sometimes service advisors let go and suggest you change parts when you insist that there is a problem. These guys are trained that way...
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Awesome

Thanks a lot frakenstein and tadukuttan!

See the point - since we don't quite know what happens in a CVT transmission, it is better to simply brake than push the transmission. I should have posted this question on the forum 3 weeks ago when I started this down-shifting habit! Wife kept telling me to check on the forum as there would be others as well with similar experience ;-(

Cheers.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Matiz 2000-03; Indica DLS 2006-09;Honda City CVT 2006-;Getz CRDI 2009-

Awesome

Curious im curious to know why dont you use the paddle shift

Paleo'd

Awesome

no paddle on the nhc..
      1) 89 Padmini - 6/95 !! 2) 03 Activa 8/03 !! 3) 02 Honda Hornet cb919 6/07 !! 4) 98 Bullet 500 -8/07 !! 5) 07 Scorpio DX(Peted) -9/07
      6) 04 Elantra CRDi(Peted) -8/08 !! 7) 97 MM540 DP 4x4 -8/09 !! 8) 89 Padmini - 11/09 !! 9) 00 MM550XDB - 05/10 !! 10)10 KHS 300 - 07/10 11)62 fiat select - babysitting !! 12)00 RE 500 - now with a AVL engine overbored to 430cc - babysitting 13) 2001 Zen vxi - 7/11 14) 01 Suzuki fiero idle since 2003 .
      Need more proof that I am a gearhead??

Awesome

oops sorry my mistake

Thread Information