• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's more fun in the Philippines.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Blog Entries

It's more fun in the Philippines.

It's more fun in the Philippines. These are not my words, this is the tag line for the latest campaign of the Department of Tourism of Philippines. It sounds like the DOT have not put any effort to come up with a tagline which would represent the entire tourism of a very beautiful country. Anyway this thread was not opened to discuss about how bad or good the DOT's efforts are, but for sharing my thoughts and photos, from the places that I have been to, in The Philippines, with my fellow GearHeads. However since the tag line is widely popular in the Philippines now, I am also using the same tagline as the title for this thread.

I would also have to admit that the grand success of the thread, that our Mr@camchennai is presently running here (My Philippines blog!!!!!!), has inspired me. While I am extremely thankful to camchennai for showcasing the nightlife scene of the Philippines (which I never experienced or knew before reading it here) for us here in Gearheads, I am slightly worried that, it may also create a wrong impression about the country. So, to compensate and bring a balance, this is my attempt to educate the fun and adventure loving member of GHs about the splendid options of tourism in The Philippines.

I cannot think of any other place to start with, when we speak about the tourist destinations of Philippines other than Boracay

Boracay
      Known for its pure white sand beaches, was ranked second in the list of "Best Beaches in the world -2011" list compiled by Tripadvisor.
      Boracay Island is basically a small Island located to the south of Manila.The only option which I know, to get to Boracay from Manila, is by air. At present the following airlines operate flights from the three different airports in Manila and the one in Clark.
      Philippine Airlines (PAL),Cebu Pacific Air,AirPhil Express,South East Asian Airlines (SEAIR),Zest Airways and AirAsia Philippines.
      The travel time from Manila to the airports would be around one to one and a half hours.You can choose among the two airports Caticlan and Kalibo, in Boracay Island, for landing. Caticlan Airport is closer to the actual tourist destination and the one that we chose, Katiclan Airport, is almost two hours far from the Caticlan Jetty port where you can board the boats which will take you the Cagban port, which is almost fifteen minutes ride away. Once you reach the Cagban airport, you can either get to your hotel/resort destination with the help of tricycles or the arranged transport from the resort (like the one we had).

Our stay was in AltaVista De Boracay. AltaVista is quite far (15-20 mins ride away) from the beach destination. The resort have free shuttle services from the beach stations to the resort frequently. When you don't have a lot of days to enjoy the destination, I won't suggest staying far from the most happening places, which in this case are the beaches - like what we did. There are plenty of good beach facing resorts available in all the beach stations. However, if you are looking for a calm and quite place away from the noisy beach stations, the resort that we opted is highly recommended. As an added bonus AltaVista have their own private beach, in the Puka beach which is a short ride away.

After traveling through Air, land and water, we were really hungry when we got to the resort. So the first thing we did was to order the food through room service. So enjoy some views from the resorts and the food that we ordered, for now.

Looked yummy, but the taste was nothing extra ordinary.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boracay_2011-3-2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	911.7 KB 
ID:	98347

Name:	IMG_5302.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	835.4 KB 
ID:	98352

Name:	Boracay_2011-4-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	736.1 KB 
ID:	98348

Alta Vista is situated in a high rise place, in a huge compound and they have many buildings like the one in the picture below with lots of rooms.

Name:	Boracay_2011-24-4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	852.0 KB 
ID:	98349

Name:	Boracay_2011-59-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	98351

They had a good pool, which we never got a chance to use.

Name:	Boracay_2011-51-2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	98350
      Last edited by mclaren1885; 11th Aug 2012 at 14:18. Reason: Fixed images..

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Now its time to hit the beach. After having the lunch and resting for a while, we walked down to the lobby of the resort, where the free shuttle service from the resort to the beach station was waiting. In 15 mins we were dropped near the main beach station, Station 2 where all the shops and the only mall (D-mall) in Boracay is.

A small walk through the busy alley of the Station 2 shops and here we are...

Name:	IMG_5574.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	882.6 KB 
ID:	98668

Name:	IMG_5573.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	98667

Name:	IMG_5487.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	927.9 KB 
ID:	98664

Name:	Boracay_2011-200.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	98663

Name:	Boracay_2011-169.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	98662

Name:	Boracay_2011-132.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	776.9 KB 
ID:	98661

Name:	Boracay_2011-86-2.jpg 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	98660

Name:	Boracay_2011-80.jpg 
Size:	868.4 KB 
ID:	98659

Name:	Boracay_2011-76.jpg 
Size:	890.8 KB 
ID:	98658

Name:	Boracay_2011-74-2.jpg 
Size:	767.5 KB 
ID:	98657

Name:	IMG_5582.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	809.1 KB 
ID:	98669

Nice work by the kid, but he requested for a "donation" after taking the photo.

Name:	Boracay_2011-32-3.jpg 
Size:	966.8 KB 
ID:	98656

Secret

Blog Entries
      as usual, awesome pix !
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Awesome

Blog Entries

Name:	IMG_5838.jpg 
Size:	942.3 KB 
ID:	98787

Name:	IMG_5733.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	794.3 KB 
ID:	98789

Watching this guy struggling to keep up with the wind, gave me an idea that windsurfing got to be really tough

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	98790

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

I had opportunity of having some Philippinos as colleagues few years ago. i have found them to be very hardworking.

i am yet to visit this one south east asian country, hope to go there some day, till such time i have your this wonderful travelogue.

i really appreciate your purpose of starting this logue. thanks.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Great piece of information there iamgillu thanks for sharing it...Its not about sharing the bad things....its all about sharing interesting things which a tourist might prefer....

Philippines has many islands and most of it are remote but I guess other than Boracay nothing else is safe to travel as Philippines rates the top most country in the world when it comes kidnapping for ransom....So I am trying to visit only safe places so that less trouble.

I wanted to visit Boracay or at least Puerto Galera but due too much of travel I am unable to visit these places, i hope i will visit Puerto Galera before I leave from him.....Already I am shuttling between Tarlac and Manila and I don't want to spend more time on travel

How are you managing with good?? Are you getting used to Philippino cuisine?? I have tried couple of items but not going down well with me

May be you need to start sharing about the food culture
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      I had opportunity of having some Philippinos as colleagues few years ago. i have found them to be very hardworking.
      I agree, majority of the Filipinos I know are really hard working for my standard. Other than hard working, Of all the races that I have dealt with, they are most hospitable, pleasant and joyful people. Their hospitality is popular and that is the reason why there are plenty of Filipino nurses (male/female) across the world.
      Regarding the easy go, joyful nature, if you browse around the internet, you may find pictures from the recent flood which hit Philippines, where they are having fun, when their entire house and belongings have gone down in the recent floods.

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      Great piece of information there iamgillu thanks for sharing it...Its not about sharing the bad things....its all about sharing interesting things which a tourist might prefer....
      Thanks buddy. Absoultely. Ohh boy, who said they are bad things. Thanks for sharing the things that would interest a large amount of tourists and its fun to read your thread. So keep it going. Personally, I am thankful to you for sharing this, because, I used to get questions related to the night life scene in Philippines whenever I visit India, and now I think I can talk a little elaborately after reading your blog here. I only meant to share the other aspects (tourism) of Philippines through my blog. Your blog combined with mine should give a broader picture for the readers here. Ha ha...

Philippines has many islands and most of it are remote but I guess other than Boracay nothing else is safe to travel as Philippines rates the top most country in the world when it comes kidnapping for ransom....So I am trying to visit only safe places so that less trouble.
      I would have to disagree with you here, as I do not think Philippines is one of the countries with a higher rate of Kidnapping now a days. There are places in Philippines which were notorious for kidnapping foreigners for ransom, but it has drastically come down in the recent years ( and we are not asking you to go to those places. There are many other popular places other than Boracay, which are very tourist friendly and will blow your mind.

How are you managing with good?? Are you getting used to Philippino cuisine?? I have tried couple of items but not going down well with me

May be you need to start sharing about the food culture
      Food was initially a problem for me as well. But being with the food crazy people for some time now, I have gotten used to some of their foods that I initially didn't like and I even have favourites, now. Food is a very important aspect of their life and I do not think I can do justice if I start talking about their food culture. I stay away from their 'exotic foods' territory though.
      Last edited by iamgillu; 14th Aug 2012 at 05:54.

Awesome

Blog Entries
      A crowded beach is always a place where you get to capture various moments, so..now, on to some beach moments.

Huuh!! What a tiring day it was. Need some rest for now.

Name:	Boracay_2011-7-4.jpg 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	99246

Name:	Boracay_2011-7-5.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	709.7 KB 
ID:	99247

Because its a beach.

Name:	Boracay_2011-29-3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	819.0 KB 
ID:	99248

I shouldn't have decided to come alone.

Name:	Boracay_2011-77.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	99250

Nothing else matters.

Name:	Boracay_2011-78.jpg 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	99251

Who said, you've to leave your fashion at home, when you hit the beaches. No..!

Name:	Boracay_2011-89.jpg 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	99252

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Some of the beach facing resorts.

Name:	Boracay_2011-12-2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	504.6 KB 
ID:	99577

Name:	Boracay_2011-15.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1,012.4 KB 
ID:	99578

Name:	Boracay_2011-16.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	511.7 KB 
ID:	99579

Name:	Boracay_2011-19.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	99581

The side walk which connects the beach stations, and filled with beach facing resorts, shops, cafes and restaurants. They become pretty lively with lights, live bands and other entertainments during night. The beach falls on the right side of the side walk.

Name:	Boracay_2011-18.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	99580

Name:	Boracay_2011-11-5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	99576

You don't have to worry if you couldn't get your body beach ready on time. There are options like this

Name:	Boracay_2011-9-4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	99583

One of the adventure options available.

Name:	Boracay_2011-11-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	99575

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast