• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      We are not meant to live only with the support of drugs. If we fix our lifestyle, there is no need for drugs to fix our "lifestyle" diseases.
      Awesome Wordings, Agree cent percent.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Cholesterol Part 3- Taking charge of your own health

When you go in for a "cholesterol test"
      You normally get a total cholesterol level which is useless. If your doctor is slightly more up to date, he might order a lipid profile. Good. After that stage the train goes off the tracks. Doctors, are still fixated on the LDL value.

Like most complex systems looking at a single value without context gives very little useful info.

What you need to look at is the HDL:Triglyceride ratio

Ideally, it should be 1:1
      At the most 1:2
      1:3 and above is high risk.

Now, most of you guys are going to have values around 1:4. Thats what I had. Thats what I see in my patients too. These people are not even sick. they feel fine. Having a ratio of 1:4 is bad, but it doesnt mean you're going to keel over and die while reading the report. Cardiovascular disease is a slow process and the beginnings of it are usually visible even in children as young as 10, now getting younger. Those kids usually get heart attacks when they near their 50s. Sadly, that was the case.

Our generation gets heart attacks as early as in their 30s.
      So its time to get cracking. Now!

Fixing the HDL:trig ratio from "massively f***ed" to "phew that was close" takes around 1-3 months.

Its easy.
      Diet
      Sleep
      Exercise.

Things that go without saying- Stop smoking. I've said it anyway, because its that important.

An outline post on the Paleo Diet will be up soon. That will be a separate thread. I just need to organise my thoughts and get my two sons to stop fighting with each other for long enough. See! STRESS!
      Last edited by Ripper; 23rd Aug 2012 at 13:21.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Excellent thread there Doc ! Your choice words deserves a big Wow ! Great. Keep it going. Now I'm sticky to this thread

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      So will post the results for everyone to see.
      dyno test for body

reduce the number of vehicles, use buses instead of carsmake sure the road infrastructure is in good shape, reduce the opportunities for poor drivers to drop off passengers at the wrong places.reduce idiot driversmake sure the police force behaves in a sensible mannermake sure the vehicles are in good condition.
      Ripper , superb! and thanks a lot for the thread

[ 'm posting at the risk of spamming this useful thread! ]

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Let me add my tuppence worth:

Good Cholesterol : HDL : This carries the nutrition to the tissues
      Bad Cholesterol : LDL and VLDL : This scavenges the tissue of cholesterol

Therefore a balance has to be maintained. Ideally the HDL level should be about 3x that of LDL. Indians have a chronic problem of low LDL. If HDL to LDL ratio is poor then not enough nutrition is reaching the tissues, may risk Osteoporosis. IF it is high then scavenging is not adequate leading to fat build up in the blood vessels.

Unfortunately, many labs do not measure LDL directory. They measure Total and HDL and the difference is assumed to be LDL. Errors are huge.

While it is true that lifestyle is the best way of managing the issue, unfortunately we Indians have a genetic predisposition to poor LDL so medication may become necessary. In fact India may be one of the few markets with 5mg dosages of Atorvastatin available.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

KaTooMed

Secret

Five Stars Doc!
      Just what i needed. I'm looking forward to enlightenment

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Good Cholesterol : HDL : This carries the nutrition to the tissues
      Bad Cholesterol : LDL and VLDL : This scavenges the tissue of cholesterol
      For simplicity's sake, HDL can be termed good cholesterol.
      LDL is being unecessarily demonised. It isnt really bad. The LDL particle number is more important and the type of LDL cholesterol you predominantly carry makes a difference too.
      Large fluffy LDL is healthy, while small dense LDL is atherogenic.
      Even that viewpoint is overly simplistic.
      The Lipid profile is just a marker/indicator for risk. It is not necessarily the cause for the risk.

If the lipid profile can be normalised without drugs, why would you want the drugs?

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

LDL cholesterol- The science heavy post.

LDL cholesterol is what most doctors focus on.
      But that is like treating someone for acne while he's bleeding to death from a gunshot wound.
      Ok, maybe I'm being melodramatic here, but I need to get my point across.

LDL is carried in the bloodstream by apolipoproteins. ApoB100, mainly.

Indians tend to react very poorly to a high carbohydrate diet. That is why we have such a huge population of diabetics here. Its probably one of the few areas where we beat China to the top.

When we indians eat too much carbohydrates, (All of us do, trust me) the body struggles to deal with the rush of sugar into the bloodstream. It pushes as much as it can into the muscles. Then into the liver and the rest into fat cells.

Muscles will not take up much sugar because we dont do any intense exercise anymore. Hell! We dont even walk to the neighbouring shops these days. Its always "live to drive!"
      The liver will not take up any sugar, because its stores are full too. It takes around 12-16hours without food to empty your liver glycogen stores significantly. How many of us go without food for 12hrs continuosly?
      The fat cells come to your rescue!
      They soak up all the excess sugar and save you temporarily, but in the process make you fat.

At some point, even the fat cells cant take anymore sugar, the sugar is then converted to triglycerides and floats around in VLDL, LDL and displaces cholesterol from the lipoprotein vehicle that is carrying it.

The body senses that there are not enough lipoprotein carriers to ferry around the LDL and grossly excessive triglycerides. The liver responds by making more ApoB100 among other things.
      The increased apob100 exposure, combined with the inflamatory state of too much sugar and body fat, then triggers atherosclerosis.

Indians cant push enough sugar into their fat cells like the europeans can. Even if they do, they push it into visceral fat(the fat around the organs) That fat is dangerous, it pumps out inflamatory chemicals at an alarming rate. That inflammation further feeds into the atherosclerosis.

This is why you'll see relatively thin indians dying of heart attacks at 30.
      It doesnt mean we need drugs. It means we need to fix our lifestyle.
      Our grandparents had heart attacks at 70 or 80. Our parents at 50-60, us at 30-40. Our children are next. The availability of medicines has increased from the time of our grandparents, but the incidence of heart disease has increased. Our genetics have not changed in 3 generations.This is not a deficiency of medicines. This is a deficiency in our lifestyle.

If you guys are interested in the science behind what I'm saying, this would be a good place to go to. There are 9 parts to the whole series. It took me some time to read through and cross check everything.

The straight dope on cholesterol – Part IX The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
      Last edited by Ripper; 23rd Aug 2012 at 15:26.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

"live to drive!"
      This is Icing on the cake
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Humans are the pinnacle of evolution. We rule this planet. We werent meant to be sick and weak.
      We are not meant to live only with the support of drugs. If we fix our lifestyle, there is no need for drugs to fix our "lifestyle" diseases.
      Can't agree more Louis. Appreciating your effort to educate us on the topic. Subscribed!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information