• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 16

    Thread: Need help for a rare kind of headlight set-up

    1. #1

      Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!
       
      Awesome
       
      gnishan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, USA - Chennai, India
      Posts
      166

      Need help for a rare kind of headlight set-up

      Hi, I want to fit a HID kit into a car which has separate low beam and a separate high-beam. (like the default set-up in cars like civic, fortuner, XUV500 etc)

      I want the bulb in the high beam also to be ON (in low-beam mode) when the actual low beam bulb is also ON. For this, i know that there has to be two pairs of Bi-xenon (High/Low) bulbs in both the reflector domes.

      It should work like any one of the kind mentioned below:

      * all four bulbs (2 on either sides) must be in low-beam and High-beam when ever switched high or low or when pass light is used.

      OR
      * The high-beam bulb must work both in low-beam mode when low beam is ON and in High-beam mode when high is ON.
      And the actual low-beam light will always be in low-beam no matter high beam is switched on or off.

      So, the only thing is i have to alter the wiring for high-beam light to make it function both in low beam and high beam and use a Bi-xenon bulb in the high-beam dome alone. And leave the Low-beam bulb as it is. (that is only low-beam as in the 2nd case)

      Have any of you guys done this set-up or do u have any wiring idea that will work full-proof in this set-up without causing any other problems?

      Any suggestions or comments welcome
      Last edited by gnishan; 26th Aug 2012 at 01:00.

    2. #2

      On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.
       
      Hungry
       
      tadukuttan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      4,996
      I have this setup in the Elantra. Wiring was done by kb100. If you are looking to do a DIY then start reading here - Quad Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit

      If you have specific doubts after that, please ask.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

    3. #3

      Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!
       
      Awesome
       
      gnishan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, USA - Chennai, India
      Posts
      166
      Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      I have this setup in the Elantra. Wiring was done by kb100. If you are looking to do a DIY then start reading here - Quad Bi-xenon Projector Retrofit

      If you have specific doubts after that, please ask.
      Thank you for the reply. So, is your car's set-up something like this. A Bi-xenon in high beam's reflector and a normal single beam bulb in low beam's reflector right? and in Low beam mode both the bulbs (in total 4 bulbs) will be working at the same time right?

      The "quad bi-xenon thread" was very much useful and i gained good knowledge from that.

      But, im NOT looking at DIY. I prefer some expert to do this. Do you know anyone in chennai who can do this kind of set-up?

    4. #4

      On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.
       
      Hungry
       
      tadukuttan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      4,996
      Quote Originally Posted by gnishan View Post
      So, is your car's set-up something like this. A Bi-xenon in high beam's reflector and a normal single beam bulb in low beam's reflector right? and in Low beam mode both the bulbs (in total 4 bulbs) will be working at the same time right?
      Nop, I have a Quad Bi-Xenon projector setup, meaning all 4 are projectors, housing HID bulbs. In Dim mode, all 4 bulbs are in Dim. Same of course for Bright.

      Quote Originally Posted by gnishan View Post
      I prefer some expert to do this. Do you know anyone in chennai who can do this kind of set-up?
      camchennai did that, please look up his thread - Projector + HID + Angel eyes installed for my Camry
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

    5. #5

      Enjoying the roar of a V8!!!
       
      Awesome
       
      gnishan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Atlanta, USA - Chennai, India
      Posts
      166
      Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      Nop, I have a Quad Bi-Xenon projector setup, meaning all 4 are projectors, housing HID bulbs. In Dim mode, all 4 bulbs are in Dim. Same of course for Bright.

      camchennai did that, please look up his thread - Projector + HID + Angel eyes installed for my Camry

      Thats really great and this is what i was looking for exactly. Thank you very much.

      I will get in touch once im ready.

      camchennai did you do it by yourself or hand some else do it? Will you be able to help me or refer to some one whom you know to carry out this work on a Civic and a XUV500?

      According to Camchennai's thread i think he has done only the low beam as HID with projectors and left the high beam as Halogen by default. I don't think the high beam Halogen bulb will also glow in dim when low beam is used. Correct me if im wrong.

      But, i m looking at something like your car's set-up. Like all four bulbs glow in dim(low beam) at a time and all four glow in bright(high beam) when ever switched to low beam and high beam respectively.
      Last edited by gnishan; 27th Aug 2012 at 05:51.

    6. #6

      <invisible>
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      1,602
      I tried quad FX-R3 prjector set-up on my verna nd ran it for couple of months. Too much of light if all 4 run in low beam. So much light in front that, in parking, my eye wud b blind if I see back, would have needed another projector as reverse light!.
      I wired only two to come on in low and all 4 in high beam during last week of quad setup in the car, later to which I did retro back to single projector in each housing.

    7. #7

      Lone Ranger
       
      Awesome
       
      raama's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Puttur/Bangalore
      Posts
      2,445
      Sorry for bumping the thread and i wish not to create a new thread for my query, I recently picked up a pre worshiped Maruti 800 for my dad and below are the observations when came to lighting part.

      1. When the headlamp is in High beam position the right lamp is brighter than the left lamp . Is this normal with such cars?
      2. When the headlamp is in low beam both looks similar to me. Unfortunately i did not click the pics of the lights.
      3. Car is presently running on 55-60 set up and can i use 100/90 set up without any additional wiring? Will the relay sustain this set up?

      Since i am new to the car world there queries are bothering me too much. Kindly help.
      "We Ride therefore we are"- RTMC(Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club) Website:http://rtmc.info/site/
      |2006- Honda Unicorn - 50K - SOLD||2007- Maruti 800 AC 43K - Happy Motoring||2008- Suzuki Zeus -25K - SOLD||2010- Schwinn Sporterra - 7K-Go Green|
      |2009- Royal Enfield Thunderbird -85K- Happily Thumping|"Rabid dog club: Bite first bark later "

    8. #8

      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       
      sriharsha's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      2,922
      Quote Originally Posted by raama View Post
      1. When the headlamp is in High beam position the right lamp is brighter than the left lamp . Is this normal with such cars?
      some people do complain about this. but IMO, there's only a very slight difference which can be overlooked. so nothing to worry.


      Quote Originally Posted by raama View Post
      3. Car is presently running on 55-60 set up and can i use 100/90 set up without any additional wiring? Will the relay sustain this set up?
      you'll need a wiring kit to be on the safer side. get a roots wiring kit and for the bulbs, get in touch with hareshjethwani or mclaren1885. they are planning a bulk order. the whole thing will set you back by around 1-1.5k.

    9. #9

      Lone Ranger
       
      Awesome
       
      raama's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Puttur/Bangalore
      Posts
      2,445
      Quote Originally Posted by sriharsha View Post
      some people do complain about this. but IMO, there's only a very slight difference which can be overlooked. so nothing to worry.
      So its not only me who felt the same .. Any idea why is this followed? One dim and one bright combination? What are the benefits?

      Quote Originally Posted by sriharsha View Post
      the whole thing will set you back by around 1-1.5k.
      I spent Rs.1500/- when i got the 100/90 set up for my Thunderbird with relay of Tata Indica and the bulb
      "We Ride therefore we are"- RTMC(Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club) Website:http://rtmc.info/site/
      |2006- Honda Unicorn - 50K - SOLD||2007- Maruti 800 AC 43K - Happy Motoring||2008- Suzuki Zeus -25K - SOLD||2010- Schwinn Sporterra - 7K-Go Green|
      |2009- Royal Enfield Thunderbird -85K- Happily Thumping|"Rabid dog club: Bite first bark later "

    10. #10

      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       
      sriharsha's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      2,922
      Quote Originally Posted by raama View Post
      So its not only me who felt the same .. Any idea why is this followed? One dim and one bright combination? What are the benefits?
      this is not done purposefully. but happens mostly because of the difference in filament and the gas in the bulbs if i'm not wrong. are you sure both the bulbs in your car are of the same brand?? and of the same age preferably??

      Quote Originally Posted by raama View Post
      I spent Rs.1500/- when i got the 100/90 set up for my Thunderbird with relay of Tata Indica and the bulb
      rs 1500 for only one bulb and a relay is a bit too much IMHO.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Rare Jaguar XJ220 left to wither in Qatar?
      By shishirbn in forum General Discussions
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 27th May 2011, 19:33

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •