• Secret
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt for a hatch !

You call, I don't
      respond..NEUTRAL ! I call, you
      don't respond..YOU DIE !!

Awesome

Hunt for a hatch !

It all happened within a matter of few minutes. Story was that I wanted to buy a printer for my home laptop so checked with Pradeep on the brand/model etc. I have no idea about printers. So he agreed to take me to a shop he knew well, at Richie street. We decided on friday that we would leave on a Sat afternoon, and that Saturday was yesterday !

Pradeep came over to my place yday afternoon, we had lunch together, then called up roadracer to check if he would be interested in joining us. He was free and agreed to join us from T-nagar. Ritche street being a crowded place, decided to take my scooter so that parking would be easy. On the way to Mount road, Pradeep had an idea "Hey, we have quite a few car showrooms near the place we plan to go. Why not check out a few cars ? I found the idea to be good and asked Pradeep if he was indeed planning to buy one. He said no plans immediately but what's the harm in checking out cars since these showrooms are around us. Great ! Soon we met roadracer at Nandanam and when we mentioned this new plan to him he started at the thought of test-drives ! The printer purchase would be done once we finish this car-test exercise

So we asked Pradeep to pick out the contenders. His choice - Renault Pulse, Chevy Beat and Volkswagen Polo !! Ok, with the plan tweaked, we first stopped at Khivraj Renault near Spencer plaza on Mt. Road to check out the Renault Pulse. Personally I never liked the Micra and Pulse for its rounded design/looks but being a candidate for our testing we needed to look at more important aspects like Engine, how the car handles, ride comfort/quality, interiors, features etc. We booked a test drive and so it was decided that I would drive it first, followed by roadracer and finally Pradeep. So, here we go...

1. Renault Pulse (We checked out the cherry red colour - liked the colour)
      Interiors - First impression I got is the nice finish to the interiors. No cheap plastics around, build-quality looked good. You don't get that thin-metal like sound when you shut the doors. Nice finish to the instrument panels, seats and upholstrey. Decent space in the front though tall guys might feel it a bit claustrophobic. Seats are okay. Decent boot space as well for a small family.
      Tyres - Top end has 165 R14 profile tyres with alloy wheels - guys, correct me if I'm wrong !

Renault Pulse has keyless entry, engine start is using the electronic push button. Depressed the clutch, pushed the ignition switch and lo....the engine cranked but hardly any noise in the cabin. I glanced around and asked, are we sure its a diesel ? Slotted into 1st gear and even bigger surprise - the car just took off !! Following points noted...
      a)Turbo lag - NIL, abolutely NIL ! Anybody switching over from petrol to diesel would find this bliss !
      b)Gear shifts - excellent, smooth as butter ! Hyundai-ish !
      c)Clutch pedal - your foot doesn't get strained at all. Pretty comfortable.
      d)Steering - again, Hyundai-like. Light and easy to manouver esp in thick city traffic.
      e)Acceleration is smooth and linear. Being on mount road there was no way we could test it at high speeds though roadracer was jumping around asking me to touch 150 kmph

I drove for abt 2kms then stopped. roadracer then took to the steering.... Over to you, roadracer for your inputs !!

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Babbanji Franklin View Post
      Top end has 165 R14 profile tyres with alloy wheels - guys, correct me if I'm wrong !
      Topend (RXZ) has R15. whereas other variant RXL has R14

Edit : Totally 4 Variants/ 2 Models in Pulse. Models - RXL and RXZ. Variants - RXL single airbag, RXL twin airbag, RXZ single airbag, RXZ twin airbag.
      Never Say Never Again :)

Specially for Photography Section - If i post any pic in photography section, Please click and view in full screen for correct resolution and clarity. Thanks !!

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Lol.. 150 kmph on Mount Road on daytime

But great review of the Pulse, good for someone moving from petrol hatch to diesel hatch...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

The Biggest USP of the Pulse is its zero Turbo Lag from what I have read everywhere. Looking fwd to the reviews from you people
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Babbanji Franklin View Post
      e)Acceleration is smooth and linear.
      Going out now. Will put something later this evening but put your feedback about Polo and Beat.

But one thing folks - yesterday I came to know the true capability of Babbanji Franklin. The Pulse in @Babbaji's hand set the Mount Road on fire. It simply left all the Cruzes, Ventos & Jettas in the dust.
      Last edited by roadracer; 26th Aug 2012 at 11:17.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

You call, I don't

Awesome

Ok, I'll continue with my short and quick inputs. Let roadie and Pradeep chip in with theirs. pricing and other details can be best given by Pradeep who has the brochures

The next stop was Volkswagen showroom. Got hold of the Polo 1.2 TDI ! Now here I felt some Turbo lag (esp just after driving the Pulse) BUT this car is a handler for sure !! There is power-lag until 2K on the tacho, post which this vehicle WILL fly - no doubt about it !! Polo is a highway car and handles superbly, stays planted to the road akin to the Figo I took a sharp left turn in 4th gear at around 50-55 kmph and boy ! it made it so easily! Interiors are good, overall build quality - its a german dude so I Steering is lighter than the Figo but I liked it !! Clutch pedal felt a bit long but nothing major to bother about !!

Overall opinion on the Polo TDI - If you're the one to drive lots on highways, take this car blindly though it will cost you some money !! Turbo lag is something you can easily overcome with proper use of gear-shifts and being in the correct RPM range !
      Last edited by Babbanji Franklin; 26th Aug 2012 at 11:39.

You call, I don't

Awesome

After roadie and Pradeep took their turns to test the Polo and collecting pricing info from the showroom, we quickly moved to Chevy's showroom. First impressions about the Beat 1.0L diesel's are its interiors - claustrophobic, esp the rear seats !! Eye-catching is its instrument cluster ! Digital tacho and the instrument panel lighting made it look impressive. When we drove it, Chennai traffic was at its worst. But the light steering and the zippy nature of this small car makes life easy even in such mad traffic snarls ! One can wriggle in and out of traffic easily with this car ! Engine noise is not an issue though can't compare it with the Pulse. No turbo lag (or should I say bare minimum) means it helps in taking off quickly. Gear shifts are okay, not as smooth as the Pulse. The car pulls well in city traffic and the short turning radius means you can challenge auto-wallas here

Overall impression on the Beat Diesel - A perfect city car for a small family. Not comfortable for long highway trips (esp for folks sitting at the back). With a good refined engine, light steering, short/smooth clutch pedal its a pretty easy car for anyone to drive !!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

So you guys are the kind of hunters that hunt game animals but leave the kill behind. Hahaha
      Ford Fiesta 1.6 (2010),
      Ford Fusion+ TDCi (2010),
      Trek 3500 (2012)
      In France or Belgium till march 20.

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Thanks a lot for your reviews Babbanji Franklin, Here are few from myside

Pulse
      Wonderful engine, Wonderful gear shift, Zero Turbo lag, As smooth as a petrol car. Very very minimal engine sound. Heard from the SA that as per customer feedback, car gets a mileage of 19-20kmpl in city and 24-26kmpl in Highway. I was like WTF, 1.5 litre engine and this much mileage with butter smooth gear shift and no turbo lag. That strikes me, this is the car to own. After Driving Embera for years, i can definetly vouch for this car rather than any other diesel cars which has vibrations, diesel sound, rubbery gear shift.

As said in earlier post, Pulse comes in 4 Variants with 2 models. RXL and RXZ.

RXL comes with single airbag and twin airbag. Likewise RXZ comes with single airbag and twin airbag.

Wonderful offer if you book your pulse this month, you get insurance free which is 22k-24k depending upon the model. That's Jaw dropping deal and car has value for the amount spent.

Difference between RXL and RXZ,
      175/60 R15 tyre with alloys in RXZ, 165/70 R14 tyre with wheel cups in RXL,
      Auto Open and Close of ORVM in RXZ when ignition is turned off, Not in RXL. But you have electrically adjustable ORVM in both variants.
      Engine start/stop with illuminated push button in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Automatic climate control in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Leather gear shift knob/leather wrapped steering in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Vanity mirror in Driver/Passenger side with Lid in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Rear defogger with timer in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Front fog lamps in RXZ, Not there in RXL.
      Rest all same between RXL & RXZ.

Price

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	price_pulse.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	101749

Polo and Beat details with report will be updated soon.

Specially for Photography Section - If i post any pic in photography section, Please click and view in full screen for correct resolution and clarity. Thanks !!

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Continued ....

Few things that i missed in pulse review in earlier post,
      > Steering is very light and as sriram said it was similar to hyundai cars. So i dint have any problem in driving. roadracer was struggling a bit after his tight steering response in Vista.
      > Wonderful headroom and even taller people can sit comfortably.
      > Rear leg room is little it less when compared to Figo. Figo tops the chart in this.
      > Boot space is fine and not bad.
      > Interiors are of sturdy and dint find to be rattling.
      > Interior design with oval AC display, Oval AC vents seems ordinary and not WOW factor.
      > Tilt'able steering for suiting different people taste.
      > Speedometer display looks good.
      > Butter smooth Gear shift.
      > Very small Glove box and not good.
      > Interior door opening handles in chrome gel well with the interiors.
      > AC is very effective but not as good as Beat/Figo. May be its because of the peak temperature in which we roamed.
      > Visibility when sat on the Driver seat is awesome.
      > Stock ICE not as good as Figo.
      > Engine start/stop sound is pretty normal and does not seem to be diesel cranking sound. Very smooth.
      > Suspensions are great as Babbanji hit some pot holes and it was not bouncy in the rear for me and roadracer.

Pulse comes with 4 years/ 80,000 kms warranty.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information