• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Figo 1.2L petrol LXi 2011 - An exhaustive summary

Bicycle in Pune, Figo in Delhi

Awesome

Ford Figo 1.2L petrol LXi 2011 - An exhaustive summary

This is an ownership review of my Ford Figo 1.2L LXi (petrol) bought in Sept'11. The odometer as of now reads 9,250 km. In one line, my review is "Value for money with no compromise!".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09271 copy.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	707.6 KB 
ID:	102777

Some points before reading this review-
      1. Whenever I mention Esteem here, I mean 1995 Maruti Esteem (or Maruti 1000) running on 1.0 L carb petrol engine with 45 BHP output. I had bought it 2nd hand. Ran it for 8 years. It is a quite different car from MPFi Esteem and hence should not be confused with it. The MPFi Esteem had too much cost-cutting (from interiors to suspension) and was not luxurious as the carb Esteem. Their engines also behaved in completely different manners.
      2. All engine related experience and mileage figures are up to 2nd service. The first engine oil change happened in 2nd service and not in first service. The updated experience and mileage post 2nd service will be posted few months later.
      3. All the rivals mentioned here are all petrol ones only.

Figo is based on Ford Fiesta Mark V (2002-2008). The Fiesta sedan we've in India is on based Ford Fiesta Mark VI (2008-Present).

Name:	ford-fiesta-2006.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	102778

Figo is sold in another countries as well. Below is an example of Figo sold in Brazil. It's called Fiesta Rocam Hatch there.

Name:	cagada_by_ford.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	102779
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 12:24.

Awesome

EXTERIOR AND LOOKS
      First of all, let me tell you that I define a car's looks by its shape. This is a sharp contrast to most people today who define a car's looks purely by design of headlamps only.

1. Figo has good looks especially due to its low stance. It was the looks which made me seriously consider buying Figo.
      2. Combined with mature and practical looks of 2002 Fiesta, the kinetic design lends Figo a modern look.
      3. Main area of attraction is the roof-line tapering low towards rear.
      4. Side windows are quite large which is a sharp (and practical) contrast to most cars today.
      5. Compared to my Esteem, Figo looks more like a low-slung SUV than a hatchback. Subaru Forester types.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. VW Polo, Toyota Liva, Fiat Punto, Tata Indica and Hyundai i20 look good along with Figo; with Polo, i20 and Figo being best lookers. They look like actual cars.

Name:	293400_10151176220590479_1986675656_n.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	102786
      ^ Not my pic. Lifted from Ford Figo Facebook page.

2. Rest of competition don't look good. For example, Suzuki Swift looks like a facelifted HM Ambassador. Honda Jazz looks like a van. Micra/Pulse, Skoda Fabia, Suzuki Ritz and Chevy Beat look somewhat weird.

Name:	Ambassador Vs Swift Funny Image of the Day  Apr-18-2012.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	102785

3. I still would not call any car today to be great looking since I still prefer the looks of 1990s low-slung cars like Zen and Esteem. Any higher car looks like a cousin of Ambassador and Padmini to me. And that includes most cars today, including Figo.

INTERIOR

How does interior look like in an LXi model?

Name:	WP_000120 (2).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	306.6 KB 
ID:	102787

ZXi and Titanium version used to have coral red dash which might look ugly to most Indians but they reflect less on windscreen than black dashboard.

Name:	WP_000123 (2).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	102789

You get mechanic window operator in base model, no external left mirror. Note the bonnet opening lever is on passenger side.

Name:	WP_000124 (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	312.7 KB 
ID:	102790

On a Ford car, try not to confuse indicator and wiper levers. External mirror adjustable internally. Power steering available even on base model.

Name:	WP_000128.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	102788

No fancy aluminium finish anywhere in LXi model.
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 12:27.

Awesome

Name:	WP_000129.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	102791

There are no power windows on rear windows (even on Titanium). they also don't roll down more than 60%.

Name:	WP_000125 (2).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	102792

Rear leg space is quite generous though the seats are small in size, the thigh support is poor and the inclination is not as much as it was in my Esteem. This, combined with hard plastic makes trips a bit tiring. There is need to fill softer foam to make it the most comfortable in car in its class over long journeys.

Comment: Figo's interior plastics are too hard for my taste. I loved my Esteem's soft plastics though they got worn out with time. Figo's interior plastic is more tilted towards durability than to provide nice feeling.

Comparison with rivals: Perhaps because mine is LXi (the lowest variant), it doesn't feel as premium as competition. Even Toyota Liva feels better. I would rank the premium-ness of Figo's interior to be lowest among black/grey interior cars and above beige interior cars. Yes, I dislike beige interiors.
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 6th Sep 2012 at 22:42.

Awesome

Name:	WP_000102.jpg 
Size:	361.7 KB 
ID:	103433

MILEAGE

This is one big question people ask about a petrol Figo. If you want to boost mileage then rather than worrying if you are driving sedately or aggressively, you should put more focus on driving in correct RPM and gear.

Peak hour Delhi traffic jams + 1-4 persons + AC ~ 9.5-10kpl
      Light traffic + Delhi & NCR roads + 1-3 persons + AC ~ 12kpl
      Highway + AC + 4 persons + luggage ~ 14-15kpl

Comment: Figo's running economy is similar to rivaling petrol hatchbacks due to 1 lac cheaper price sticker. Though I would have liked it better if Figo had 1kpl more mileage. Perhaps I'll get my wish post 2nd service (engine oil is changed for first time in 2nd service).

Name:	WP_000931.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	103434

ENGINE

A. Pick-up with minimal load
      With good low RPM torque like Esteem, Figo feels nice to accelerate from rest. Lighter cars like A-Star feels like an elephant in comparison due to poor low RPM torque.

Experience
      1. 1st gear has good pick-up. If slotted at right speed and RPM, 2nd gear is also good. Pick-up in 3rd gear and onward is below average.
      2. From point of view of pick-up, Figo is a great city car and an average highway traveler.
      3. Despite having bigger 1.2L engine and output of 68 BHP, Figo's pick-up is substantially lower than Esteem. Though it is to be noted that Figo is heavier by 200kg (1040 kg vs 850 kg). It is still to be seen how Figo's pick-up changes after 2nd service.

Comment: There should be around 6-8 extra BHP and a little more torque at around 3,000 RPM to make it a great engine.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. Ford Figo absolutely demolishes the competition in pick-up from rest. It's so eager to charge ahead at slightest push on the pedal. Time taken to reach 20kph from rest is less than one second, the only car among its rival to do this. It's a joy to drive in heavy traffic. For comparison, Figo does 0-20kph in 0.71 sec while Suzuki Swift does the same in 1.61 sec (Autocar data).
      2. Toyota Liva and Fluidic Hyundai i20 have good pick-up. Comfortable to drive in traffic.
      3. K12 (Suzuki Swift and Ritz) and 1.2L i-VTECH (Honda Brio and Jazz) and 1.2L VW Polo have very poor pick-up and should learn from the above three cars (Liva, Figo and Fluidic i20) to have proper torque at low RPM. It is no use to suffer in traffic and to take tension on mountains just for 1kpl extra mileage. Heck, even my Premier Padmini was more comfortable to drive in traffic and on mountains than most cars today.
      4. Perhaps because I'm used to my Esteem's characteristics, I find it highly annoying if a car doesn't accelerate properly at low RPM. Yes, it is nice to have huge power at 3000-5000 RPM but I'm hardly in that range. It was the reason I rejected plan of buying MPFi Esteem to replace my carb-Esteem. That car almost refused to move at low RPM! The sheer power at high RPM of MPFi Esteem didn't matter to me at all. If I wanted good performance at high RPM, I would have gone for a diesel. The Skoda Octavia's pick-up at high RPM was simply amazing, I can still remember.

B. Pick-up with large load (~500kg)
      1. With 500kg weight, Figo picks up from rest with no problem. Only some more push on throttle and it behaves like as if no additional weight was loaded though gear ratio changes dramatically. You will have to slot in one gear lower than usual.
      2. With 500kg weight, both Esteem and Figo's pick-up evens out. This is really good since Esteem's engine is simply fantastic.

Comment:
      1. Some more power and torque is needed so that gear ratio change is not so big.
      2. In case you are curious, the 500kg was achieved by seating 7 people (2 in front, 5 in rear) and putting 5 airport-sized bags in the boot.

Comparison with rivals: Didn't test rivals with 500kg weight.

C. Smoothness
      1. The movement of car in first and second gear is poor. The car jerks visibly. One has to carefully control clutch and throttle input to control the jerking. The 1995 carb Esteem seems like 15 years ahead of Figo in engine smoothness, despite being 15 years older.
      2. From 3rd gear and onward, there is no jerkiness. Just like every car is supposed to be.
      3. There is no shuddering from the engine on cruising at low speed in high gear. For example, 5kph in 3rd gear. Though there is a little pendulum like motion in forward-backward direction and should warn the driver not to continue like that to avoid repeatedly knocking the engine.

Comment:
      1. The jerking in first and second gears is unacceptable especially when carb Esteem behaved much better.
      2. The control on engine shuddering is great, though not as phenomenal as in Esteem.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. Other rivals like 1.2L Kappa2, K12 and 1.2L i-VTECH have much better smoothness. Not sure about 1.2L VW Polo as I didn't test it enough.
      2. Hyundai i20 has very poor control on engine shuddering. Not sure about 1.2L i-VTECH cars. K12 cars especially Swift has amazing control on engine shuddering. Again, not sure about 1.2L VW Polo.

Name:	DSC00249s.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	103436

GEARBOX

A. Smoothness
      The slotting of gears is not smooth. My Esteem despite being 15 years older, had much smoother slotting of gears. The first gear is particularly sticky. Rest gears are okay. Though there is still to be seen if with age, slotting in Figo's gears will be as smooth as in Esteem.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. K12, 1.2L i-VTECH, 1.2L Kappa2 cars and VW Polo have smoother gear slotting. Didn't test rest cars much.
      2. Liva has really bad gear slotting. It feels worse than in my ancient Premier Padmini (with steering mounted gears).

B. First gear behavior without accelerator
      1. Put in first gear, don't use accelerator, keep AC turned off. Release the clutch slowly. The car moves ahead smoothly.
      2. Turn AC to max and you have to release the clutch even more lightly to move the car ahead.
      3. On gentle slope, you have to keep AC turned off and release clutch patiently in order to move the car ahead if you want to move ahead without pressing accelerator.

C. First gear behavior with accelerator
      1. If you press accelerator lightly, the car moves ahead smoothly.
      2. If you press accelerator a little more then the car jerks as the engine RPM varies by large amounts and unpredictably (though I don't have tachometer to prove this).

D. Neutral gear behavior
      If you are in neutral and the clutch is depressed then engine RPM is very low, though I don't have a tachometer but it feels like 800-1000RPM. If you release clutch, the engine RPM distinctly increases.

E. Second gear behavior
      1. The acceleration in 2nd gear without accelerator is almost as good as in first gear. This can be utilized in jams when you're not in mood to shift to first gear.
      2. If you brake and bring the speed lower than the idle speed in the 2nd gear, Figo will again accelerate to the idle speed once the brake is released.
      3. Figo charges ahead for a moment if you press the clutch in the 2nd gear at low speed. Though it never posed danger.

Name:	WP_000473.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	103437

OPTIMAL SPEED/RPM AND GEAR RATIOS

Light load and mileage oriented
      Press throttle only lightly. No need to take RPM beyond 2,000.

1st gear: 0-15km/h
      2nd gear: 15-25km/h
      3rd gear: 25-35km/h
      4th gear: 35-50km/h
      5th gear: 50-60km/h (best mileage)

Heavy load and mileage oriented or a little sprint fun with still good mileage
      Press throttle a bit more. No need to take RPM beyond 2,400.

1st gear: 0-18km/h (most powerful acceleration)
      2nd gear: 18-36km/h
      3rd gear: 36-54km/h
      4th gear: 54-72km/h
      5th gear: 72+km/h

AC AND PERFORMANCE

1. Fantastic AC! Even the rear passengers get as much enjoyment as the front passengers.
      2. The AC is incredibly quick cooling. The only car in its segment which doesn't make you bath in sweat before starting to cool you.
      3. The fan should be operated only till speed of 2. After this, the noise from fan is unbearable.
      4. Drop in performance is surprisingly not bad considering that Figo has such a powerful AC. Good torque at low RPM also helps in not getting myself embarrassed by turning off AC when moving the car from rest.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. All rivals have poor AC. They take really long time to cool the cabin. It makes first 15 minutes unbearable on a hot day. By time, I get cooled, I already am in sweats. My clothes ruined! Not acceptable! Only i10 is appreciable and it is a segment below than rivals!
      2. Stay away from Toyota Liva! It doesn't have any real AC! I sweated like a pig every time I did TD of Liva no matter how long the AC was running. Totally unacceptable!

VIBRATION AND SILENCE IN CABIN

1. You just need to roll down windows a bit in traffic to appreciate how much silence you get inside the car. It allows important noise like siren and horn to get inside but toned down to non-annoying levels, while keeping useless noise like other cars' engine noise outside.
      2. Though the engine is noisy when you are outside the car, it hardly gets inside. I often wondered if the engine was running or not while waiting at a red light with several other cars' engines running.
      3. Vibration can be felt whenever the engine is under strain. Other than this, you get vibration when the battery kicks in to start the engine and during turning off the engine.

Comment: Overall, I rate noise and vibration level as good. It is well under the limit to allow me to travel over long distance very comfortably.

Comparison with rivals:
      I didn't spend that much time with other cars to precisely compare noise and vibration inside cabin. Though I did manage to collect some data which are as below-
      1. Polo seriously needs to get a 4 cylinder engine. It doesn't feel like a German car with irregular vibration and noise of 3 cylinder engine getting inside.
      2. About Suzuki Swift, it is a facepalm! While the engine is most silent and least vibrating, the thin windows let outside noise get inside.
      3. Toyota Liva is a tractor, not a car.
      4. Hyundai i20. Whoa! Bliss! Only if they can control this cheap shuddering of engine, it would be awesome to drive i20 thanks to amazing silence in the cabin.
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 12:42.

Awesome

Name:	WP_000348.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	103438

BUILD QUALITY

1. Definitely a whole different feel from my Japanese Esteem. Metal sheets are much thicker. Though it feels waste of fuel to carry unnecessarily extra thick metal. It wouldn't provide additional safety. Would it? I dunno!
      2. The paint layer alone feels as thick as my Esteem's metal sheets. Though quality isn't as great as on my Esteem. On grinding with the auto-wallahs, Esteem's sheets would mutilate (which can be hammered back to shape) and the paint would stay with it. However in case of Figo, it seems like the paint sacrifices itself to protect the sheets which gets mutilated a bit anyway.
      3. Feeling of solidness everywhere. Doors close firmly without making the whole body vibrate. However, the feeling of closing the door is not as awesome as one feels in an i10. i10 has such a buttery smoothly closing doors. Guess I like Japanese build more than European/American. Perhaps with time, I will realize why people appreciate European build.

RIDE QUALITY OVER POTHOLES AND BROKEN ROADS

1. At low speed, ride quality of Figo is quite pathetic when compared to my Esteem. It shakes sideways. Cars with softer suspension like Toyota Liva and Hyundai i20 don't shake sideways. Polo has got hardest suspension and is a nightmare to drive over bad roads at low speed. Didn't test other cars enough.
      2. At higher speed, I come to understand why Figo has such hard suspension. It soaks up undulations while keeping almost on-road like composure. It's quite good! Didn't test other cars over potholes at high speed.

ARE HEADLAMPS REALLY THAT BAD?

No. I see no difference from my Esteem's headlamp performance.

1. I read that Figo's headlamps give poor visibility. I think the problem lies with other cars. They are fit with illegal headlamp setup from the factory. Their companies should be punished and those cars should be recalled to rectify their headlamps to follow regulations. Apart from VW and Ford, every company seems to use illegal headlamp setup.
      2. On highway, one needs to adjust headlamp level carefully. A bit above or lower and you get very limited view.

Name:	DSC09298 tilt.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	665.2 KB 
ID:	103442

STEERING AND HANDLING

1. Steering feeling is okay at mild to high speed. There's no error in accuracy or instability. Magic of hydraulic pump, I see.
      2. Poor at low speed. It is quite an effort to turn the car at parking speeds. Agility isn't that great either. And this comment comes from a person who is used to mechanical steering in Esteem.
      3. Handling at low to mild speed is poor (<50kph). There's a lot of body roll. Agility is also lacking.
      4. Handling at higher speed is good. As stable, accurate and agile as my Esteem. Body roll simply disappears. Only change in angular momentum is experienced.

Comment: Handling is sufficiently good. I don't like hydraulic steering much. I would prefer electronic steering though it should be as accurate as mechanical steering (ala Ford Fiesta).

Comparison with rivals:
      1. What on earth happened to steering of most cars? So lifeless. So much inaccuracy.
      3. Polo has nice handling but still feels strange and inaccurate due to electronic steering.
      4. What's with people saying i20 has bad handling? I found i20's handling to be quite good despite having owned Esteem. It's magic of long wheelbase and a better electronic steering than most rivals. Perhaps it is the suspension people complain about. At not so perfect roads, i20 has tendency to lose control if I'm not careful.
      5. Rest rivals are more or less. Inaccurate steering, not so confidence inspiring at high speed (>50kph) but sheerly comfortable at low speed. Handling is somewhat van-like rather than car-like.

Name:	WP_000932.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	608.2 KB 
ID:	103441

RIDE QUALITY ON GOOD ROADS

1. This is one sore area which makes me miss my Esteem badly. I feel bumpiness of road and textures of hard roads (like cement roads) due to stiff suspension. Not very pleasant experience but can be accepted. Perhaps switching to softer tyres (mine is MRF) will help. The Esteem had CEAT tyres.
      2. The suspension is stiffer than optimal. Drive Etios sedan and you will know what I mean. It has got amazingly soft suspension and yet has minimal body roll. Stability is also reasonably good.
      3. At low speed, I've to take care not to jump over speed breakers or rear passengers will be thrown off their seats. At high speed, Figo simply swallows speed breakers.

Comparison with rivals:
      1. Though not a rival, I like Etios sedan's ride quality on good roads better.
      2. I dislike Polo's extremely stiff suspension. I don't go high speed off-roading all the time so hard suspension is really not needed.
      3. Rest rivals seem to have better ride manners at low speed compared to Figo but poor ride manners at high speed.

SQUEAKY SUSPENSION AND BRAKES

1. Figo's rear suspension often squeaks for first 200 meters after being idle for few days. Never experienced same in Esteem.
      2. On bad roads, suspension is audible. It's not quite as silent as one would like it to be.
      3. Brakes also squeak time to time. Gets rusted especially in rain (which gets cleaned again with use). Dunno why but my Esteem's brakes never got rusted or squeaked no matter what the weather was and for how many days, the car didn't run.

GROUND CLEARANCE

1. Perhaps because I live in Delhi which doesn't have many unscientific speed breakers, I didn't see many instances of hitting underbelly.
      2. My Figo did hit underbelly at many times. But by looking at the road, I think my Esteem could have hit its underbelly too. So it is okay.
      3. The long wheelbase of Figo is the main reason, I've to be a bit more careful than in Esteem on bad roads. The suspension itself looks good to me. No problem of hitting even with 500kg load.

Name:	WP_000236.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	103443

BRAKES PERFORMANCE

1. The brakes don't seem inspiring because I've to stomp hard like in Padmini to extract maximum braking. It's not as progressive as in Esteem or Hyundai i20. Esteem is quite comfortable to brake. In emergency situations, I get a panic in Figo but never in Esteem or i20.
      2. Braking efficiency is not as good as in Esteem's. And it is not due to MRF tyres.
      3. Figo's brakes seem good enough for most scenarios though I would have preferred larger brakes and a bit more powerful booster.

Name:	DSC09310.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	103444

SOFT BUMPERS

1. Figo's soft bumpers are actually a plus point rather than being negative. The soft bumpers prevents any damage (even to the paint) on being hit by another car.
      2. In my case, there was one such incident when I hit a low wall. It pushed the bumper inside. I reversed, bumpers came out back as if nothing happened.
      3. It is quite an ugly sight to see other cars like A-star's bumper (pictured above) dislodged from body and ill-fitted as a result of repair after bumping into something. Figo is the only car I see on roads which doesn't have bumpers dislodged or ill-fitted in ugly manner. All the cars should switch to soft bumpers.
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 13:00.

Awesome

Name:	WP_000535.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	599.7 KB 
ID:	103445

DRIVING EXPERIENCE

One should note that Figo is not a typical Maruti or Hyundai. It drives very different from them. Some points are-
      1. Gear ratios are quite different from other cars. Most cars have 10kph per gear shift.
      2. While most cars can tolerate wrong gear and RPM, Figo's engine groans under strain, acceleration drops drastically along with poor mileage delivery if driven in wrong gear and RPM. Really bad to have especially after enjoying a highly tolerant Esteem practically all my life.
      3. Figo is not ideal for a newbie driver/learner. I see that many GH members were newbies when they drove Figo. Congrats to those guys. They are excellent learners!
      4. It takes even an experienced driver some time to figure out Figo's correct gear ratios and drive properly. I'm still struggling in it even after one year of ownership of Figo.
      5. I dislike Figo's clutch characteristics. It immediately engages on depressing even slightly while Esteem had deep clutch, engaging only after travelling quite a bit. I still have not been able to setup my habit to Figo's clutch.
      6. Figo is probably most city friendly car in its segment due to its ability to pick-up from rest in 2nd gear without accelerator and the smooth movement of engine when not inputting the throttle. Toyota Liva and i20 are also good to drive in city. Rest rivals are not due to poor torque at low RPM.
      7. On highway, Figo's engine performance is good up to 130kph. After this, you have press the throttle quite deep to take it to 140kph. I didn't bother to take to higher speed since it was too much for the engine. Higher speed is still achievable if pushed to high engine RPMs.

DIAGNOSTIC MODE

1. Put key in position one so that tripmeter screen lights up.
      2. Press and hold the stalk below tripmeter screen.
      3. While the stalk is still pressed, turn key to position two so that more lights come up in dashboard.
      4. Release the stalk when the system has entered diagnostic mode. The reading on tripmeter changes when you have entered diagnostic mode.
      5. You can get readings like tachometer (even on models without a tachometer), battery voltage, engine temperature etc. I've not been able to decipher more readings yet.
      6. If you've a model which doesn't have tachometer. You can use diagnostic mode to get a tachometer, observe and improve your driving style for max performance and mileage. Be careful while doing this. I lost my attention many times and easily while doing it.

INTERIORS: SPACE AND COMFORT

1. Feeling of plastics in interiors is not very good. Most of hatchbacks in its class have better interiors. People say that Toyota Liva has the worst interior feeling. I disagree. I find Figo's to be worse than Liva's. But then it is perhaps because I've LXi model though I didn't find Titanium any better during TDs.
      2. Space? Yes, there is plenty of space for 5 people of average height. Heck, even 7 people can travel comfortably for short distances (<1 hour). Two people in front. Three on rear seats. Rest two sitting on laps of two people sitting in the rear. This is the magic of sheer leg space.
      3. Headroom at rear is a bit low due to tapering roof.
      4. Bottle holders are pathetic. They are small and cut your hands if you put bottles in them.
      5. Some people might find rear windows to be deal-breaker. Manually operated and they lower to like only 60%.
      6. No head rest for rear seats. Very bad! Not only it's a safety problem but also makes people feel tired on long journeys.
      7. Thigh and lumbar support is poor. Rear seats are a bit too straight-up. Should be more inclined.
      8. Seat foams are quite hard and are painful on long journeys. Softer would have helped.
      9. Even when I'm used to my low-slung Esteem, I find getting in and out of Figo a challenge. The thick doors also narrows the entry at parkings.

Name:	WP_000357.jpg 
Size:	779.6 KB 
ID:	103446

ENGINE, DRIVEABILITY AND PERFORMANCE

1. Figo is a superb car to drive in city. In bumper to bumper traffic, you don't need to use accelerator in the 1st and 2nd gear. There's no jerk or stalling if you do this. One would wonder why consider automatic when Figo is so easy to drive in city.
      2. There's simply no engine vibration inside cabin. And if there's, you are driving wrong and are straining the engine.
      3. At high speed, engine and tyre noise filters through cabin but is tolerable. At heavy traffic, you come to appreciate how much silence you get inside the cabin with glass all shut.
      4. Visibility is simply superb not only for driver but also for every passenger. Though the driver is blinded by right A-pillar. A bit of pain on traffic intersections and on mountain roads.
      5. Rear visibility is also excellent and is helped by very bright reverse lights during nights.
      6. I don't have left wing mirror and never felt need for one either.
      7. Due to lackluster high speed performance but excellent handling setup, I love driving at curvy mountainous roads instead simple straight and fast roads.

TYRE UPGRADE?

1. It's hard to recommend a tyre upgrade for Figo. The stock tyres are simply perfect. Any wider or bigger and it might mess up performance, comfort and mileage.
      2. Stock MRF tyres suit Indian conditions the most. Most durable, resistant to damage and long-lasting.
      3. If you want softer and quieter tyres, pick an international brand. Yokohama is an example. Picking of same size would be recommended.

OTHER POINTS

1. Good to have fuel lid opener lever under driver's seat even on LXi model. In my Esteem, I always had to give my key to petrol pump guys which was annoying.
      2. Boot can't be opened by driver on LXi model. At mall parking, it is embarrassing when security guards wonder why I'm not opening the boot while I'm frantically waving my key out of driver's window.
      3. Cabin light is a bit weak. Not sufficient. There's no light for rear passengers. No boot light on LXi model.
      4. Don't ever forget that indicator stalk is on opposite side. Or be ready to experience the agony of seeing dry wipers grinding across your windscreen.

WISH LIST

1. 6-8 extra BHP for performance at mid range RPM.
      2. 1kpl more mileage.
      3. Softer suspension.
      4. Bigger and reclining rear seats along with ample thigh support and head rest.

Name:	WP_000081.jpg 
Size:	593.7 KB 
ID:	103447

FIRST SERVICE EXPERIENCE

1. I did both first and second service at Harpreet Ford, Motinagar, Delhi. This was where I had bought my Figo. They generally offer the most discounts among Ford dealers in Delhi.
      2. They are very hard-headed and need to be dealt sternly. For example, they delivered me a Figo with a scratch on its windscreen. They would not admit the presence of scratch. After dealing strictly with them, they admit presence of scratch on windscreen.
      3. Complained at Ford customer care about them. Action was prompt. They promised me to change windscreen for free during first service.
      4. First service comes. I had got a crack on the windscreen 2 days earlier thanks to a stray flying pebble. They refused to change windscreen for free. Had hard talks with them. Still we compromised that the windscreen will changed but cost will be borne by my insurance and rest will be payable by them.
      5. The replaced windscreen seems good. Job done was good but not perfect.
      6. The basic idea of how typical F.A.S.S. is like is that while Ford is making quite an effort to improve their service and in bringing down costs, the quality of service still depends on individual F.A.S.S. Make sure to pick a good one.
      7. Not that I would not recommend Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar. I still recommend it since they give most discounts. But make sure that you're prepared to deal with them and win, in case a problem arises.
      8. The cost of first service was nil. I dunno if anything was done other than just washing and inspecting. Engine oil is not changed during first service.

SECOND SERVICE EXPERIENCE

Service
      1. Cost- 1,209 rupees.
      2. What was done- Engine oil change. Two more things were done but not sure what. Perhaps, engine gasket change and one certain filter.
      3. The car was quite dirty when I handed them the car, the inside was also full of soil. After washing, the car seemed new.

Rectifying steering problem
      1. I had complained that the steering was feeling heavier since last few weeks and that the power steering fluid had went below minimum mark.
      2. Upon inspecting, they changed the steering gear and linkage assembly. Also topped up power steering fluid.
      3. The job was nifty and the car was ready in 3 hours despite having a long line of cars at their service.
      4. Post rectification, the steering still seems heavy at low speed. Perhaps it is characteristics of the hydraulic steering.
      5. This job sounds like a major one. Ford should have ensured that such problem should never arise during a car's life-time. According to a guy at service, this job would have costed upto 20k if not covered under warranty! Though the bill says that it costed ~8k rupees.

Denting and repainting job
      1. Had denting and repairing rear right door and panel which had got mutilated on being hit by a taxi-wallah and by an auto-wallah who had left a hole in the body shell.
      2. Denting is absolutely flawless. Even with my experience of watching over iron furniture preparation in a factory, I was impressed by the welding and denting they did to cover a rusting hole in the body shell.
      3. Paint color matches so also the shine though it is little softer in reflection. Again, I'm quite satisfied. No complaint from me since I know that original shine is impossible to duplicate. I'm pretty satisfied. Hope the difference doesn't grow larger with time.
      4. Sorry but I forgot to take pics of the damage before handing out to denting job so I've not posted any pics related to it. There's no point posting the post-job pic since it is hardly different from original. In fact, many pics in this review are actually post-job.
      5. The denting and repainting costed 13,010 rupees. I paid 1,810. Rest was borne by my insurance. I had opted for FASS job since I was not sure of competency of local garages on my less-than-one-year old Figo. 13k price is too steep though the job done is excellent. The job was also nifty even with dozens of cars already there waiting for repair jobs.

Name:	WP_000485s.jpg 
Size:	959.2 KB 
ID:	103448

SUMMARY OF FORD FIGO 1.2L PETOL LXi

Authorized Service Center: 9
      1. After having experienced obscenely expensive Maruti A.S.S with my Esteem and my friend's A-Star, it was a nice change at Ford A.S.S which is more professional and cheaper (so far). This is draining my body from red Maruti blood and replacing with blue Ford blood.
      2. FASS don't easily admit problems and responsibility. One has to act quite stern with them to make them accept an issue.

Parts availability: 10
      Windscreen, steering gear and linkage assembly change. Immediately done. Excellent. No problem in availability so far.

Follow up with Ford: 10
      Got a problem with your dealer or F.A.S.S.? Just complain at the company's customer line and your issues are neatly & quickly sorted out.

Engine: 8
      It is not as awesome as Esteem in pick-up but at higher speed, it simply beats Esteem to a pulp. Esteem had a top speed of only 105kph and we had to see those little 800s overtaking us on highways while being more loaded than my Esteem. Rivals lack the needed torque at low RPM.

Suspension: 8
      Handling is superb but suspension could have been softer for more comfort and for sound dampening. Over poor roads at low speed, it is horrible.

Steering: 9
      Would have got a 10 but heavy feeling at low speed takes 1 point away.

Ground clearance: 9
      Quite good considering its long wheelbase.

Headlights: 7
      Average headlamps. Sufficient for night highway driving. Poor when other cars are using full-beam.

NVH levels: 7
      1. The silence inside cabin is just perfect. While you are spared from annoying traffic noise, important noise like a bus' engine, emergency siren and horns get inside cabin (in not so annoying manner).
      2. As long as you don't hear engine's sound, you are driving right. If you hear engine's sound, either you are driving wrong or there's a problem with the engine. So perfect.
      3. Same point applies on vibration as above.
      4. There's harshness when riding over broken roads or over hard roads (like cemented road).
      5. Keep your tyre pressure perfect. A bit more and your Figo will be harsh to ride. A bit below and your mileage will drop.

Build quality: 9
      Interior plastics are cheap and horrible. Otherwise, it's a very solid car. Typical European build.

Overall: 8
      A VFM (value for money) and complete package of a car. No deal-breakers.

You see Figo scores a minimum rating of 7 in any field. Figo is like that. Not a single point which can be its downfall. Like Toyota's, Figo is made to tick all points in your checklist.

Name:	WP_000486 car.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	721.6 KB 
ID:	103449
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 13:46.

Awesome

MEMORIES WITH FIGO

The dealer guy points and says this is your car.

Name:	WP_000104.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	103450

The first time I saw my Figo.

Figo bowing in front of me, pledging to serve me faithfully.

Name:	WP_000088.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	103451

Dunno why but I just love the way Figo's boot opens.

Name:	WP_000106.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	103452

The enormous boot assured me that I was never going to miss my Esteem's boot. It was proved when it carried 5 airport-sized bags with ease and with still quite a space left.

Name:	WP_000107.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	103453

Figo visits a temple to seek blessings from the Gods.

Name:	WP_000137 (2).jpg 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	103454

Figo crushes a lemon and a coconut (coconut not in the pic) to complete the our holy customs on owning a new car.

Name:	WP_000150 (2).jpg 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	103455

The first time Figo gave me a scare when it came home for first time from the dealer. The corners of headlamps were misted. Luckily it never ever repeated.

Name:	WP_000212.jpg 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	103456

Due to the ailing carburetor of Esteem, we (me and family) had stopped visiting mountains. We also had never seen snow in our lives. With Figo, we started touring mountains again and saw snow for the first time.

Name:	WP_000519.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	103459

To see snow, we had gone to Nainital even when Shimla is fav spot for the same. Reason being Naina Peak which is the highest point in Nainital which is higher than the highest point of Shimla. We were headed there. The road kept getting dangerous.

Name:	WP_000533.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	103461

And even more dangerous.

Name:	WP_000534.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	447.4 KB 
ID:	103462

At that point, the MRF tyres gave up on grip. Figo slid sideways. That was it. We abandoned the daredevil trip, took a U-turn and returned.

Several months later, the urge for dangerous adventures still persisted. We visited Mussourie in rainy season. The visibility was great

Name:	WP_000896.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	103463
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 13:51.

Awesome

Last but not least, I would like to pay a tribute to my Esteem, the best ever car I sat in and drove. Even with the ailing carburetor and with body panels falling apart, it still stands outside my home. I still often wish my Esteem was alive and kicking.

Name:	WP_000935.jpg 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	103464

Thank you guys
      Last edited by DevilsCry; 7th Sep 2012 at 13:51.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Thanks for the lovely pics and an exhaustive report DevilsCry. There is no perfect car in this world, so as long as the car you buy ticks the important boxes, you must just learn to enjoy driving it around.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
      gear ratio changes dramatically
      Some more power and torque is needed so that gear ratio change is not so big.
      FYI, gear ratios remain constant unless you change the ratios itself or the size of the tyres.

For a better understand you can go through this.
      Gear ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their companies should be punished and those cars should be recalled to rectify their headlamps to follow regulations. Apart from VW and Ford, every company seems to use illegal headlamp setup.
      I think the claim is a little too far fetched? Most cars these days come with puny headlamps. And it's a pain to drive most of the new age cars at night because the lighting is downright poor.

I don't like hydraulic steering much. I would prefer electronic steering though
      You know, the steering feedback from the Fords is their biggest advantage. The Figo and Fiesta currently have the best steerings you can get your hands on under 20L. Enjoy it.

ability to pick-up from rest in 2nd gear without accelerator
      Don't try this here on. Not good for your engine.

You can get readings like tachometer (even on models without a tachometer), battery voltage, engine temperature etc. I've not been able to decipher more readings yet.
      6. If you've a model which doesn't have tachometer. You can use diagnostic mode to get a tachometer
      Interesting bit of info, never knew you could check the diagnostics on the dash itself.

At that point, the MRF tyres gave up on grip. Figo slid sideways. That was it. We abandoned the daredevil trip, took a U-turn and returned.
      Was this under braking or turning and accelerating? Not just MRF tyres, any tyres in snow/rainy conditions will tend to lose grip and lock under braking or understeer while cornering. If driving in such extreme conditions, you will need snow/winter tyres. That said the MRFs actually compliment the Figo quite well. I was pleasantly surprised that the MRF tyres didn't perform as bad as I had hoped they would when I drove a remapped Figo D.

Congrats on owning a Figo and we hope to keep hearing about your ownership experience till the time the car is with you
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - The Torque Monster.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - A 400+HP corner craving machine!
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Tuning - Importers for Audiofrog & Arc Audio/APR Tuning Authorized Dealers/Engine Remap Specialists for all makes/models.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Eton/Stetcom/Tru Technology/Blam Audio/Mobridge/Stetsom/Audible Physics/AIV/Gladen/Dampmat/Dr Artex Damping and more.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      FYI, gear ratios remain constant unless you change the ratios itself or the size of the tyres.

For a better understand you can go through this.
      Gear ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing out. Will read up and then explain better what I had actually meant.

I think the claim is a little too far fetched? Most cars these days come with puny headlamps. And it's a pain to drive most of the new age cars at night because the lighting is downright poor.
      Oh perhaps. Though I noticed that projector headlamps light up roads really well and don't blind the oncoming traffic as well (perhaps in dipper mode only). There should still be a way to have powerful headlamps but still not blind others? Perhaps not since I see that expensive cars like S-Class come with infra-red vision.

You know, the steering feedback from the Fords is their biggest advantage. The Figo and Fiesta currently have the best steerings you can get your hands on under 20L. Enjoy it.
      Yeah, I should appreciate it coz it is probably the best feedback I'm ever going to get in my life

Don't try this here on. Not good for your engine.
      Yeah, already stopped doing it long back. Thanks for advice

Was this under braking or turning and accelerating?
      It was a bit of too much acceleration on straight line after my dad shifted to first gear from second gear. The sideways slip was quite small. Yeah, MRF tyres seem quite fantastic and perfect for Figo

Congrats on owning a Figo and we hope to keep hearing about your ownership experience till the time the car is with you
      Thanks a lot buddy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information