• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Advice needed in Buying a Motorcycle or keeping the old motorcycle

In Blr

Awesome

Advice needed in Buying a Motorcycle or keeping the old motorcycle

Dear GH’s
      I presently own a Hero Honda Passion 2007 Model with a ODO reading of 40000 kms.
      I have given the bike to a mechanic locally to set right some minor issues due to a small accident in which the indicators and the hand bar got damaged. He did a full service of the vehicle post which I face a lot of problems in my bike.

There are white smoke coming out of the exhaust and day before the vehicle did not start. I took her to Hero Honda Workshop in Ambattur Industrial Estate and the say that the engine has to be completely changed. This would cost around 12000.

My friends say that re boring the engine would cost around 4000 and we can run the vehicle for another 4 years.

I am confused as what to do as I have another plan to buy a new bike.

I have to travel an average of 30 kms up and down in my Chennai city with heavy traffic.

Kindly suggest me what to do. Should I keep my old vehicle or should go for a new one.

If buying a new one what bike should I go for.

Regards
      Joseph Roy

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

Morning Joseph,

A very tough decesion to make I had re-bored my Pulsar 150 and changed the cylinder head to a slightly bigger one and the bike is performing better than new my advice would be stay away from the company guys unless the bike is a brand new one and under warrenty. Beleve me they dont know the difference between an air-block and a disc break !

At the end of the day it all comes down to how much you still love your bike as the bike is giving you some problems im sure it can be repaired by a good mechanic and can be done in notime but if you feel that you need to travel alot and your looking for something more comfortable then you can go ahead and get it changed !

Hope this helps !
      Last edited by undecover_bro; 24th Sep 2012 at 09:35.

In Bhai We Trust

Awesome

40000 Kms is too early for an engine change IMO. The following may be the causes :

1. You piston rings may have given up. Do check that.

2. Oil burning causes white smoke - check for any mixing

3. Ensure that the carburetor is giving a proper air -fuel mix

You can also try keeping a white paper in the path of exhaust and see what is getting deposited. You can first change the pistion rings,if not working, then the head gasket, if still not working then the head itself. Engine change is a long way to go. As far as i know, reboring the engine is not going to solve this problem. Do you see any drop in mileage?

P.S : If your bike is not under warranty anymore, then please do not take it to the A.S.S There are good mechanics in Mogappair and i will get you the details if you need it.
      Pulsar'09 | Swift'11 VDI |Indica'11 DLS| RE CL350
      "If Death Comes before I prove my blood, I promise I'll Kill Death!" - Capt. Vikram Bhatra (Param Vir Chakra)

In Blr

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by undecover_bro View Post
      Morning Joseph,

A very tough decesion to make I had re-bored my Pulsar 150 and changed the cylinder head to a slightly bigger one and the bike is performing better than new my advice would be stay away from the company guys unless the bike is a brand new one and under warrenty. Beleve me they dont know the difference between an air-block and a disc break !

At the end of the day it all comes down to how much you still love your bike as the bike is giving you some problems im sure it can be repaired by a good mechanic and can be done in notime but if you feel that you need to travel alot and your looking for something more comfortable then you can go ahead and get it changed !

Hope this helps !

At the end of the day it all comes down to how much you still love your bike as the bike is giving you some problems im sure it can be repaired by a good mechanic
      I still love my bike ans its true that i am not able to find a good mechanic for past two years. The intial Three years i had been servicing it in Hero Honda people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thecdkfactor View Post
      P.S : If your bike is not under warranty anymore, then please do not take it to the A.S.S There are good mechanics in Mogappair and i will get you the details if you need it.
      I appreciate your help thecdkfactor. can you provide the details of good mechanic in mogapair. i have been dying to find a good mechanic in chennai for past three years.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

I would go by whatever @thecdkfactor had mentioned. Never go for reboring IMO. Change the parts if atall if you are keeping the bike for some more years. Orelse change it and but a new one.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

Joseph done forget to check your PM !
      once you have undercover brother there is no other !

In Blr

Awesome

Joseph done forget to check your PM !
      I appreciate your help undercover brother. You stand by your signature....

Awesome

josephsajuroy My signature is meant only for the ladies but I do appreciate your compliment !

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by josephsajuroy View Post
      I appreciate your help undercover brother. You stand by your signature....
      josephsajuroy My signature is meant only for the ladies but I do appreciate your compliment !
      India is his country
      all Indians are his brothers and sisters

Awesome

Indeed they are now I have a really good reason to get married to a hot blonde babe ! abroad of-cource

Thread Information