• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frankmehta's ICEvic: Guess who's back®

Drives the CONTESSA of this
      century and knows it!

Awesome

frankmehta's ICEvic: Guess who's back®

Hola! A few days ago, I procured a used Honda Civic Automatic, which has been successfully converted to run on CNG now. I intend to use this car extensively (the earlier car, Ford Fiesta ran only 20k km in 3 years) and that means it should have the best in car entertainment system that I can afford. I had a lot of equipment in the Fiesta which I removed when the car was sold. The equipment is as follows:
      1. Eclipse CD7100 head unit
      2. Illusion CH-1 Compression drivers and horns
      3. Hybrid Audio Legatia Series L6
      4. Morel Tempo coaxials run off the head unit
      5. Adire Koda 10" subwoofers X 2
      6. DLS Ultimate A3 amp for the mids
      7. DLS Ultimate A2 amp for the horns
      8. Clarion DPX11551 mono for the 2 subs
      9. Monster XLN401 RCA cables
      10. Heavy Duty Polycab 0 gauge Home Wiring for powering the amplifiers
      11. Noisekill Damping in all doors and boot

That was one HUGE amount of equipment dismantled from the car in one day!!!!!!

Anyway, most of this equipment was stored for less than a month, after which it was taken out yesterday and piled into one huge heap and carted off to Ajay (Bass&Trouble) for installation in the Civic.

The changes in equipment:
      1. The Eclipse is the BEST sounding head unit I have ever owned (I have owned 2 Eclipses) but I needed something that was more versatile over USB and also did Bluetooth since I will be travelling over long stretches of traffic and I have a tendency to pick up calls while driving.
      So the most logical jump from the CD7100 was the next best head unit, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS with WAV over USB and Bluetooth built in. I am not a fan of the looks of the head unit and the build quality is nowhere near the Eclipse but I guess that trade-off for more practicality made more sense.

2. The second thing I changed was the damping. I always read that cars with the best of ICE had Dynamat Extreme damping in their doors and hence decided to go in for the same for the front doors. The damping has made the doors heavier and I hope noise insulation from the road and outside traffic is improved. The boot will be damped with the regular Noisekill.

3. The Civic comes with a (very luxurious feature) remote in the rear armrest, for the stock audio system. I had requested Ajay to try to keep these controls functional even for the Pioneer and he has obliged. An interface adaptor with an IR receiver pointing to the head unit has been installed.

4. The subwoofers were earlier in 2 identical 1 cu ft enclosures in the boot. The enclosures were convenient, as they could be removed when we needed boot space in the Fiesta, but this time around there IS no boot space left after the CNG tank installation. Ajay decided to fabricate 2 fiber glass enclosures in the corners of the boot where the 2 subs would be mounted. This would free up some space and also prevent the enclosures from hitting the amps which will be mounted in a rack in front of the tank. I know, I know, it's going to be very tight and I am not going to have much luggage space, but a guy's gotta make space for his ICE. I am very passionate about my ICE and I don't want to make any compromises here.

The boot will be damped with Noisekill and the stock head unit of the Civic has already been removed...

The install is in progress. I keep forgetting to take a camera with me all the time, but tomorrow the install is being wrapped up, which means I have only one chance to take photos of WIP, if any.

I have some photos. Just putting them up. They have been taken from my Nokia Asha 302 :ashamed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	740.5 KB 
ID:	106455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	793.3 KB 
ID:	106456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	835.6 KB 
ID:	106457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3a.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	868.2 KB 
ID:	106458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	974.9 KB 
ID:	106459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	770.4 KB 
ID:	106460
      Last edited by Gilead; 26th Sep 2012 at 20:33. Reason: Moved pics inline

No BOOM only BASS

Awesome

Well watchout for the ELD problem that is most commonly observed in the civic.Since i see you are running 2 class AB amps and a Mono,and also the A3 is known to be a power hogger.
      I hope the mono is class D otherwise a lot of blown fuses and amps going into protection will be a routine affair as the civic hardly puts out any voltage on idle.
      ||Source-Panasonic BottleHead (Tube)||Amp(1)Mosconi Class -A|| Speakers- Gladen Zero Pro PP|| Gladen Speaker Cables and Interconnects||Kenwood Kos -A300||Amp(2) Rockford Fosgate T1000 bDCP& Subs-Rainbow Vanadium x2||

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Sharma View Post
      Well watchout for the ELD problem that is most commonly observed in the civic.Since i see you are running 2 class AB amps and a Mono,and also the A3 is known to be a power hogger.
      I hope the mono is class D otherwise a lot of blown fuses and amps going into protection will be a routine affair as the civic hardly puts out any voltage on idle.
      What's ELD? Kindly enlighten.
      I'll be doing a friend's NHC ZX ICE install this month and Civic in the coming month. Need to take care.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2017 Isuzu D-Max V Cross: PX5 Android HU -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| Helix P400 | Kravchenko KAXBLTWT & HAT Legatia L6SE | Boston GT2125 | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | SounDigital SD250.1| Infinity REF1200S
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta: Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125 | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

No BOOM only BASS

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      What's ELD?
      ELD is known as Electronic Load detector which detects the amount of load and regulates the alternator accordingly.Actually the civic has this peculiar problem,wherein it puts out verly low voltage at idle around 10-11 volts sometimes even less, so a lot of amps go into protect mode due to Under Voltage.It has been discussed at lengths on the other forum.

If you might know GTO on teambhp and Manan Jain faced very similar problems and ultimatley had to shift to either to very efficient amps or amps which are capable of running from 9-10volts.If the setup runs on a single amp for a system of around 800-900 its kind off fine but yes when one tends to overgo that with Class AB high power amps there seems to be an issue.
      Refer to the under mentioned link.
      Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by - Team-BHP

This is the reason that stopped me from plonking 2 x IDmax and Genesis Profile Sub Ultra in my civic,as i dint want to take a risk.
      ||Source-Panasonic BottleHead (Tube)||Amp(1)Mosconi Class -A|| Speakers- Gladen Zero Pro PP|| Gladen Speaker Cables and Interconnects||Kenwood Kos -A300||Amp(2) Rockford Fosgate T1000 bDCP& Subs-Rainbow Vanadium x2||

century and knows it!

Awesome

Tell you what?? I hadn't thought of this issue till you brought it up. Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow ya. Let's hope this issue does not occur with my car. In fact, the DLS Ultimate AND the Clarion (Class G) are VERY efficient amps and they didn't ever give any trouble in the Fiesta, which, I am guessing has a slightly lower powered battery and a less powerful alternator.
      Wish it sails smoothly tomorrow.....

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
      Tell you what?? I hadn't thought of this issue till you brought it up. Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow ya. Let's hope this issue does not occur with my car. In fact, the DLS Ultimate AND the Clarion (Class G) are VERY efficient amps and they didn't ever give any trouble in the Fiesta, which, I am guessing has a slightly lower powered battery and a less powerful alternator.
      Wish it sails smoothly tomorrow.....
      Yes ELD can be a real PITA in Civic and especially for you here. Trust me DLS amps are not efficient as compared to Clarion. As i have run both and DLS is a power hog at times.

If things dont work out. Check these out for bypassing ELD

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...ivicaccordfit/
      http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2873474
      Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

No BOOM only BASS

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
      Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow ya. Let's hope this issue does not occur with my car.
      Yup Best of luck.BTW a piece of news most people faced this problem generally after 1 month of running the equip,may be something to do with the capacity of the battery i think.

Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      Trust me DLS amps are not efficient as compared to Clarion.
      +1 to that.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      isnt it risky affair??

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
      isnt it risky affair??
      It always Is
      Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

century and knows it!

Awesome

And she's back after a wait of 3 long days! And it was worth the wait! Bass&Trouble has really taken Trouble this time and done a very neat and detailed job. The system, though almost completely a carry-over from the Fiesta, sounds totally different. It has it's strengths but also a few weaknesses.
      The doors are not as sturdy as the Fiesta and the doorpads buzz (resonate) when the mids are playing extremely low. This isn't intrusive but irritates since I am comparing a 16 lac rupee car to an 8 lac rupee car and the cheaper car still trumps it in terms of build quality. The quantity of bass is still not very convincing and there are SO many tweaks in the head unit that I will actually take a few weeks before I arrive at the sweet spot.
      The things which haven't changed (and that's a good thing) are the detail from the horns, the kick from the mids and the fabulous soundstage that convincingly 'originates' from the windshield. Time alignment also helps to achieve this.
      The subs are in fibre glass enclosures and they are playing quite well. Didn't have much bassy music in the car today and will transfer some to USB drive tomorrow and test it out.
      The head unit is a superstar. It plays WAV off USB. This head unit has so many features, settings and some really versatile and convenient features (like 2 USB ports and 2 AUX ports) that I being the complete technophile, STILL couldn't try out many of it's features and convoluted menus. Overall, it's a stellar performer with FAST usb and cd read times and very clean signal to the amps. Auto EQ and Auto Time alignment is something I haven't tried in a car ever, but considering the positive results at home (Audyssey Auto EQ) with my Denon receiver, I am sure to experiment with it sooner than I think.

The day was long. The minute I got the car, I drove off with it and covered 120 kms in a few hours. There was no ELD issue and the car was idle at the signal many times. Music was playing at high volumes and there was no dipping or drop of voltage even with the headlights on (my DEH-80PRS head unit has a built in voltage indicator clap

This was an honest review and there will be lots of feedback coming soon. Remember, this is my Practical Workhorse and I shall be covering a lot of kms. in this car (much more than the Fiesta) so I shall be using the audio system a lot. Hence, more tweaks and maybe, just maybe, I might achieve what I had set out to achieve, the sweet spot. Difficult, I confess but I am pretty close to it!!
      Pictures to whet your appetites. Lots of them. With special attention to the dashkit and the horn installation and moreso, the boot to show you the boot space remaining after the CNG tank and audio equipment.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0224 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	106688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0264 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	106704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0269 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	106705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0270 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	106706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0280 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	106707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0282 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	106708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0283 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	106709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0284 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	106710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0285 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	106711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0286 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	106712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0287 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	106713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0288 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	106714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0293 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	106715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0296 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	106716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0263 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	345.9 KB 
ID:	106703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0260 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	106702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0228 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	106689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0232 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	106690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0234 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	106691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0236 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	106692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0240 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	106693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0246 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	106694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0248 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	106695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0249 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	106696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0250 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	106697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0251 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	106698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0252 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	106699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0254 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	106700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0257 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	106701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0299 [HDTV (1080)].JPG 
Size:	423.5 KB 
ID:	106717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information