• Secret
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 (September) Ford Figo Tdci Exi ownership review

Classified :)

Awesome

2012 (September) Ford Figo Tdci Exi ownership review

At last here it comes.

How it started
      Driving has always been a passion for me from the time i remember. First it was the harmless cycle which helped me with my dreams. Still love the water splashing in neat divided parts when cycling in an extended puddle. . Then bought a Pulsar 150 after getting a job. Did innumerable trips all over south India making bangalore as my base.
      Then came my initiation to cars. Bought a superb Elantra Automatic while in Australia. For 2 years it was my partner in crime . Did the Melbourne - Sydney circuit lotsa times. Along with the great ocean drives.
      So after i coming back to India and getting married, missed a car. As i was coming back to India after 2.5 years, lost touch with all the contemporary car models. Only models in my mind was swift, alto etc. Last time i had heard about ford, was not awe inspiring.
      So decided to do a fair amount of reading before jumping in.

The search
      Started reading through all the reviews and comparing with my need and budget. Beleive me, fixing a budget is a cruel job. The best car always seem to be just out of your budget. Initially wanted to go with the Swift Vxi. but after hearing negative reviews about the swift braking, decided to look around for other cars in the same budget. (6 lakhs OTR).
      Studied and TD ed the following cars :
      1. Chevrolet Beat Diesel.
      2. Swift Vxi.
      3. Figo Tdci Titanium.

The Beat diesel looked a tad underpowered for my highway driving needs. And also did not like the styling.
      The brakes and the rear seat space made Swift lose the case.

So it looked figo Tdci will make the cut.

The purchase
      Now the difficult part. Which model ?
      Ideally i would have wanted a bare bone car with ABS and airbags. But certain marketing gimmicks make owning a safe car a very costly affair.
      Wanted to own Titanium trim, but it was way over my budget (7.15 lakhs OTR bangalore).
      So decided to go for the Exi trim with the Ford misic system and fog lamps installed. Seemed a VFM option.
      As for safety, decided to drive safe and a little more carefully. After all who had airbags and abs a few years back. I feel there is no alternative to safe and sensible driving.

Now started visiting all the ford showrooms (there are 4 in Bangalore) and started getting quotes from all of them. Pitted each others quotes against each other and tried getting the best deal. At last Cauvery Ford offered me the best one and immediately accepted it.
      Got a handsome 40k corporate discount along with the Ford Music System and Fog lamps for 10k more.
      All in all the total quote was 6.10 lakhs OTR which in my opinion was the best i got for the Ford Exi.
      Paid half in cash and rest via loan.

Loan was sanctioned in 7 days ( would have been earlier if i was not out of town). Buying process was fantastic.The sales rep at Cauvery Ford (Ashwini) was very helpful and finished all the process within a day of the loan getting cleared.
      Did a detailed PDI of the car before it was sent for registration. All seemed to look fine.
      Was asked to take delivery of the car on day before Ganesh Chaturthi.

The delivery process
      Delivery was hassle free. The car was already in the delivery bay even before i reached. the fog lamps and music system was already fitted.
      The car was shining beautifully.
      The sales rep (Ashwini) started the vehicle demo. She did not have much engine or internal knowledge about the car. Only the cosmetic ones (like audio controls, vehiicle controls) was her forte. No indication about running in period, or about engine internals. Thanks to gearheads, did a check all by myself. I didnt turn out to be a noob.
      Did a detailed PDI again. Turned out to be satisfactory.
      Took delivery of the car, thanked everyone and drove away happily with my wife for company.
      Overall delivery experience was excellent except for the vehicle demo part (indicated that to the manager yesterday through a call - Got a call from Ashwini immediately - she seemed pretty upset).

The ownership experience
      In one word awesome. Just like the car. Looks and feels so manly. Especially the sound of the diesel engine. Feels like the growl of a tiger.
      In city handling is superb. As in the highways. The tires seems to make much less noise (have Apollo Accellere) or is it the damping ?
      Have already clocked 800 kms with 80% city and 20% highway. getting a 15 kmpl mileage.

Pros :
      Awesome engine
      Awesome drive in city
      Minimum body roll in higways
      Good braking
      Awesome AC
      predictable vehicle behavior - no surprises
      The best thing - Steering - feels so good - just the right amount of feedback
      No underbody scrapping till now - have been over 500 bumps and craters of various sizes ( right from Everest till Challenger deep )

Cons :
      Visibility restricted by the A - pillar.
      Gear has become very hard of late and doesnt slot properly in the first and second gear.

Questions to fellow Gearheads
      1. Whats the running period and what to take care of during that time. I upshift early and do not take the car over 80 kmph.
      2. How to drive a diesel ? Any specific things to look out for ?
      3. in bumper to bumper traffic, i have to play the clutch a lot. Any ideas other than this ?
      4. As Exi does not have a tacho, can anyone advise me the correct speeds to upshift / downshift on straight roads ? I understand it will change on inclined roads.

Sorry for the huge review. Hope it helps fellow Gearheads.
      2008 - Bajaj Pulsar 150 Dtsi
      2011 - Hyundai Elantra GLS Automatic (2000 model) - Sold
      2012 - Ford Figo Tdci 1.4 Duratorq Exi

Awesome

Quick ones:
      Quote Originally Posted by savagex View Post
      This is indeed true, driving style needs to be adjusted accordingly.
      Gear has become very hard of late and doesnt slot properly in the first and second gear.
      For me, first and reverse was quite hard. After 2 services, first is smooth but reverse gear gets stuck at times if I don't slot carefully. In any case, please do not insist service center to adjust it. Let it sort itself in few months.
      1. Whats the running period and what to take care of during that time. I upshift early and do not take the car over 80 kmph.
      Manual says that do not drive above 80 kmph during first 1500 kms and keep on varying engine rpm.
      3. in bumper to bumper traffic, i have to play the clutch a lot. Any ideas other than this ?
      Try to drive in first gear as much possible, one can drive at around 10 kmph without clutch riding.
      I am not expert but you can do the following:
      1). Drive in correct gear at correct rpm.
      2). Avoid clutch riding.
      3). Let the engine remain idle for 30 seconds - 1 min when you stop or move (from cold) the car.
      4). Service religiously at a FASS as per Figo manual.

That's it for now, drive safe!

Edit:

No underbody scrapping till now - have been over 500 bumps and craters of various sizes ( right from Everest till Challenger deep )
      Caution : Under body can get scraped on same bumps when loaded with more than 3 passengers. Drive dead slow, else a hit will dampen the spirit.
      Last edited by yksharma; 4th Oct 2012 at 12:48.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

Awesome

Thanks a lot yksharma

Quote Originally Posted by yksharma View Post
      1). Drive in correct gear at correct rpm.
      As i do not have a tacho any pointers on the safe speeds to upshift / downshift ?

Awesome

As i do not have a tacho any pointers on the safe speeds to upshift / downshift ?
      Please check below thread to verify rpm reading where one can see rpm in "test" mode:

Ford Figo - How to make your ford figo show RPM, Temperature, Fuel Vol, Speed, Battery voltage on the Digital Odo

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by yksharma View Post
      Caution : Under body can get scraped on same bumps when loaded with more than 3 passengers. Drive dead slow, else a hit will dampen the spirit.
      Almost 50% of them were driven with full 5 persons on board and a small amount of luggage as well. So seems GC issues have improved substantially.
      But yes i do cross them dead slow either in first gear (steep and rough ones) or second gear (smooth ones).

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

predictable vehicle behaviour - no surprises
      Are you talking about steering and manoeuvrability? It’s a gem, man!

It is and it hampers the vision when there are sharp right turns, mainly in ghat sections. Just leaning back-right towards window glass will help in compensating it, though marginally!

Don’t worry, lubrication of gear-shift cable and some adjustment will solve it. Just, report it to FASS or carry on till first service.

4. As Exi does not have a tacho, can anyone advise me the correct speeds to upshift / downshift on straight roads ? I understand it will change on inclined roads.
      yksharma, Evolution88, Babbanji Franklin can guide you in these.

Don’t worry much about run-in period, drive carefully, keep changing speeds in various gears, and accelerate gradually. There are threads on the forum regarding this. I don’t have quick pointers to those, you may search!

You can’t avoid usage of clutch in B-to-B traffic. But it is good that due to sufficient torque at low RPM, driving Figo in such situations is easy, even for a learner-driver!

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Wonderful explanation and details there dude. But where are the pics. I know thereare lots of pics from other owners on the same car, but this is your thread and you have to make it special right?
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

So seems GC issues have improved substantially.
      I guess GC is same, its the suspension which might have been tweaked.
      But yes i do cross them dead slow either in first gear (steep and rough ones) or second gear (smooth ones).
      Yeah right, this is safe bet .

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      But where are the pics.
      +1

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Almost 50% of them were driven with full 5 persons on board and a small amount of luggage as well. So seems GC issues have improved substantially.
      Hope you don't need to "press A-paddle with half clutch" while crossing those humps!

For up-shifting speeds and RPM, there is a mention in the manual. You can check this site - Top Ten Driving Tips. You can tag Mustang.101 for any support/info about Ford/Figo.

Sedate...

Awesome

savagex, Congrats once again & wish you many happy miles ahead.
      Feel free to ask any queries regarding your Figo here.
      Would like to know what Color you got.

Initially wanted to go with the Swift Vxi.
      Studied and TD ed the following cars :
      1. Chevrolet Beat Diesel.
      2. Swift Vxi.
      3. Figo Tdci Titanium.
      Why a Swift Petrol or you mistyped instead of VDi?

Wanted to own Titanium trim, but it was way over my budget (7.15 lakhs OTR bangalore).
      That's the lowest quote I heard for Figo 1.4 Titanium here in Bangalore. It was 7.23 Lakhs few months back.

Now started visiting all the ford showrooms (there are 4 in Bangalore)
      I hope you mean to say Dealers as there are many Showrooms here in Bangalore & the Dealers being...
      1) Metro Ford.
      2) Lathangi Ford.
      3) Cauvery Ford.
      4) Elite Ford.

So, where are you planning to give it for Servicing?

Yup. Especially while taking a 90 degree right turn.

Will definitely improve after first Service. But never faced this issue. Issue popped up later for me with the Reverse Gear slotting.

This is a much debated topic.
      What I can say is make sure the Car is not strained(Neither too slow nor too fast in one Gear). Vary the speeds(Engine as well as Car).
      Before the first service I have touched 160Km/hr.

You may have to play more with the Clutch when compared to Petrol counterpart.
      Use the Turbo to good effect. Shift with in proper RPM range(As you don't have a Tacho, shift at a specific speed range) to make effect of Turbo.

You may have to as in bumper to bumper traffic there is no other way.
      But try to drive in 1st Gear(If possible) or else in 2nd Gear with the torque(Without any accelerator or Clutch input).

Watch out my Ownership Thread.
      As EXi doesn't have a Tacho, the Table am going to share will help you out.
      Last edited by Evolution88; 4th Oct 2012 at 13:17.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - CODE 6 Tuned - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      2012 Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Our Czech Princess :-)
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information