• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Dedicated Delhi Bus Lane - Row with Car Users filing Suit

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Dedicated Delhi Bus Lane - Row with Car Users filing Suit

I just read the following article on BBC. I think that the statement by the car users are absurd. Speaking from Bangalore experience, unfortunately it is the sheer no. of Cars that are the main cause of the Traffic Jams. I would like to hear the views of the Delhi boys

BBC News - Delhi row over bus lane reveals class divide in society
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

A Quote from the Petitioner in the article..

Mr Sharan, the man spearheading the campaign against the BRT, dismisses the argument. He says those who travel in their own cars are the decision-makers, therefore, they should get a priority over buses. He believes that bus users can wait because they are engaged in less important jobs.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      I just read the following article on BBC. I think that the statement by the car users are absurd. Speaking from Bangalore experience, unfortunately it is the sheer no. of Cars that are the main cause of the Traffic Jams. I would like to hear the views of the Delhi boys
      I would say it is the autos and taxis. The days of auto strike are pure bliss.

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

One of the many reasons why India will never become a developed country despite peoples predictions !
      once you have undercover brother there is no other !

Awesome

I would say it is the autos and taxis. The days of auto strike are pure bliss.

A Quote from the Petitioner in the article..

Mr Sharan, the man spearheading the campaign against the BRT, dismisses the argument. He says those who travel in their own cars are the decision-makers, therefore, they should get a priority over buses. He believes that bus users can wait because they are engaged in less important jobs.
      Isn't he right to a certain extent?
      In Bangalore at least, the use of publicly funded Volvos are not for the public but for rich private companies who are more than capable of funding their own buses. Come to whitefield in the evenings. Hundreds of people are waiting for buses while over 100 volvos with hardly 10-20 people ferry employees of the likes of GE and AMD. Imagine the amount of private vehicles that can be reduced if these buses are put to common man's use.
      What I am trying to say is that, the rich companies are favored over the bus going public anyways. So why not in the bus lane issue?

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Guys, It's neither autos, buses or cars, it's the BRT Corridor which is a problem. In the BRT Corridor, the dedicated buses lanes are in the center of the roads including the buss stops ... so whoever wants to get into the bus needs to run though the traffic.

Cars and auto share a single lane that is also very narrow, the amount of traffic on that route is very heavy and that single lane cannot manage the volume of traffic which causes huge traffic jams everyday.

BRT Corridor is the worst road in Delhi. Don't know why this concept was introduced in first place.

Delhi Bus Rapid Transit System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

spam king
      past the speed of sound

Awesome

bro, as a person who head to these BRT once in a while, i can tell you, its madness, any sane person would avoid it like plague, the problem is that the ratio of private cars to buses is huge, so when the lanes are divided, half of them are dedicated to the buses and the other half, to personal vehicles tsr's(three wheeler rickshaws) and other miscellanous idiocies(read bullockcarts, oneman powered commercial rickshaw etc) along with scooters motorcycles and so on, so what you're trying to do is essentially cram 95percent of the traffic into 50percent of road space...can you guess what the result will be like? the bus lanes are mostly empty, couldn't that space be better utilised? the traffic signals last for as much as 5 minutes a stop, there hasn't ever been i time i have frequented to brt and seen the red light the first time i came to a halt, its really that bad, i don't agree with the statement made by the petitioner sure, but his end game is right, the brt is not really helping anyone, except maybe the few people who live in the localities where the brt function, within a radius of 2 or 3kms of the 6km stretch, but you see why inconvenience the other lakhs of people who are using that route as a conduit to commute?
      There is a Difference in Knowing the Path and Walking the Path-Anonymous Takla with Pincenez

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

I've used the BRT plenty in the past three years, and it;s a nightmare.
      Double lane roads in a busy Delhi junction is absurd.

While I agree, the statement of car people being better, is very poor (ironic right) indeed; the idea os good.
      Vendors, 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers, no wheelers; everyone stuck in a single lane with cars is a catastrophy, where otherwise cars can easily maintain constant 60-70.
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Re: Dedicated Delhi Bus Lane - Row with Car Users filing Suit

Just back from delhi trip and what I was amazed to see is how well the Metro is functioning... Huge network, every 3 mins one train and lots of crowd... Before where we had to wait for buses or be blackmailed by autos now the metro is there... Travel has become so easy even with the massive rushing crowds at office time...

What I saw and understood is that buses have become pretty low in number on the streets, and even less autos and more and more of cars... Above Ground on a car or auto takes more time and less comfort than metro...

If that is the case then not sure if the BRT is really required...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

GEARHEAD
      Arise, awake and Stop not till
      the goal is reached

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      Just back from delhi trip and what I was amazed to see is how well the Metro is functioning... Huge network, every 3 mins one train and lots of crowd... Before where we had to wait for buses or be blackmailed by autos now the metro is there... Travel has become so easy even with the massive rushing crowds at office time...
      I have also seen that metro has helped in decongesting the road traffic to some extent and also helped the commuters in reaching their destinations faster.

I have not yet seen the new BRT at Delhi. Earlier there used to be a rule on some roads wherein the buses had to stick to the left most lane of the road, this system was good on straight stretches but it used to be utter chaos near the junctions where the buses had to take a right turn or u turn.
      Last edited by venbab; 15th Oct 2012 at 17:28.
      Donate BLOOD Save Lives

Thread Information