• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 (Win8) - is it worth the upgrade?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Born and Brought up in Calicut now a Bangalorean!

Looks like Windows 8 Kicks A$$!

Windows 8 is designed for touch based apps... looks like we will see a revolution in CarPC and Windows based Tabs

Here you go ... see it for yourself:

The Windows 8 build event is in September I hope they launch it too ... the best part is that it can run on Qualcomm Snapdragon (Pushem to the smart phones)

I think this is huge for MS!

Now aware!

Awesome

Windows 8 (Win8) - is it worth the upgrade?

Windows 8 (Win8) is available here from tomorrow at AED249, against the regular retail price of AED799.

Now, MS has said that existing MS users can upgrade for $39.99.

The plan is not to go for a upgrade but a dual boot of Win 7 Pro and Win 8 Pro. All in the house will need time to get used to the UI of Win8.

So, with the above in mind, does it make more sense in getting the shrink wrapped box?

I am going to use it in my old trusted XPS1530, which is connected to my TV.

Win8 seems to be paradigm shift from the way we have used desktops, so far. This does seem to be bringing both the PC world and tablet world closer. Would be interesting to see what the experts views here.

Bicycle in Pune, Figo in Delhi

Awesome

I've Win8 on one of my laptops. Without touch screen, the new UI is quite irritating to use. I'm always clicking the desktop view to get Win7 like view. I would recommend Win8 only on touch screen enabled device.

Now aware!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
      the new UI is quite irritating to use. I'm always clicking the desktop view to get Win7 like view.
      In case I do go for this, I do see myself doing this more often.

Keeping aside the touch screen part, what about the functionality offered by the OS itself? Is it better than the older versions? Faster? Once you know your way, easier to use?

Since you have / are using it, would be great if you can give your review of this OS.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
      Since you have / are using it, would be great if you can give your review of this OS.
      - After a month of using Win8, all I've to say is only one thing- boot up time is incredibly fast. Instead of earlier 1min, it's now 10 sec.

- Better than older versions? Not really. It just feels like using Win7 without the aero.

- Faster? Never noticed any improvement in speeds.

- Functionality? I didn't notice any new functionality apart from a new UI when the laptop starts up. I wish I could have made more use of it but it is quite touch-centric. For example, if I want to go left, I need to drag the screen towards right. And it's really hard to do so with mouse. It's best done by a hand on a touch screen. This ruins the curiosity to explore metro apps.

- A lot of metro apps are quite buggy. For example, my email account still doesn't work properly. It can only load emails but sending emails still don't work. Forces me to abandon wish to try more and instead shift to desktop applications like Chrome to open my GMail.

- Easier to use? Not really. It's just same as Win7. The metro UI is tough to use since I don't have a touch screen. It should be easy to use metro UI and apps with a touch screen, I know it since I've a Windows Phone.

- Verdict? I wouldn't upgrade my laptop to Windows 8. At least not yet. I would rather wait for metro UI to get easier to use without a touch screen and the apps to stop acting buggy.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

As DevilsCry mentioned, MetroUI is a real PITA without a touchscreen. It is bearable with a dedicated mouse but laptop touchpad navigation is gonna be difficult.

No offense, but MetroUI looks and feels like it was designed for use by people with motor dysfunction. It does its job as a dashboard for displaying everything at a glance, but for any serious use, you will have to get back to the old Win7 style desktop. But what is more irritating for me is the lack of the start button!!!

I'm now trying to map one of the mouse buttons to switch between MetroUI mode and Desktop mode, but I'm unable to find any extra configuration option for my 5-button mouse on Win8.

Start-up is definitely faster than Win7, but Win7 boot was good enough for me until Win8 came. I may load Win8 into my CarPC to benefit from the fast boot times and explore touchscreen capability.

I'm going to continue with Win8 and see if my frustration reduces over time; may be its just a teething trouble in upgrading(?) from something we've got so used to in the last two decades.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 25th Oct 2012 at 20:53.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

My proffession is related to 3D visualization and even latest of hardware configuration is less for me. Oppose to normal office usages, my 3D graphics software keep demanding for more n more CPU juice and most of the time CPU continuously runs at 100%, especially while rendering.

I have two PCs for my work. One I got 2 years back is a Phenom X6 1090T. I upgraded another PC to AMD FX X8 (8 cores) Now issue is that Win7 is not utilizing all the cores efficiently hence my 2 year newer and better spec PC performing at par with my older 6 core PC. Some of the reviews and bench-marking websites mentioned that Win7 needs some patch to efficiently run the AMD 8 core FX CPUs. I downloaded the patches but still no such improvement. Due to the Win7's limitations, I am not even able to overclock the CPU and other hardware components in realibale way.

I am sure that FX2 8120 bulldozer is far more capable than my X6 1090T but its the OS which is big let down so far for me
      AMD FX-8120 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Overclockers Forums

I want to know that did there any back end improvement took place in WIn 8? Will the Win 8 handle newer generations hardware in better ways?
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 25th Oct 2012 at 21:24.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

I would suggest to wait a bit and see how it all pans out.
      Also, for those who are planning on getting new hardware like laptops based on Win 8, I would suggest you guys to wait... There are bound to be devices launched making use of the new touch screen interface. Already, I heard about the new Dell XPS laptop where you can twist the screen fully and use it as a tablet.. Digital Vampire has a HCL laptop like that
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      I upgraded another PC to AMD FX X8 (8 cores) Now issue is that Win7 is not utilizing all the cores efficiently
      I remember this CPU. It's the Bulldozer CPU by AMD! The problem is that there is no way for Windows to currently know which core is part of which module. Its scheduler tries to assign tasks to free cores but in doing so it means that co-dependent data gets separated to different parts of the CPU. This also causes problems with turbo core. Turbo core is designed to boost busy cores by turning off unused cores and using the spare TDP. However since Windows is not able to schedule the data properly, it messes with the operation of Turbo.

This is an issue which AMD promises to solve with Win8. But sorry, to be honest, I don't see this getting improved.

One other important thing to note is that there is no GPU functionality in the FX-8150. In fact, the entire architecture is just a CPU with no graphics. Even Linux's compilers and codes are not optimized for Bulldozer's architecture. There was a comparison test between FX-8150 and the Phenom II X6 1100T on one of sites which I don't remember any more. The result was a draw.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Digital Vampire has a HCL laptop like that
      To be accurate in naming and nomenclature, its a Kohjinsha SH series Convertible Tablet/UMPC.

Name:  kohjinsha_sh8.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  39.9 KB
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sh_main_ow.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	111068

The HW is more than 5 years old and supposedly anemic by today's standards, but its still bloody fast for unexplained reasons.
      Fortunately the useless guys from HCL has done only a sticker swap job on that. Its already triple boot with WIN-XP, Win7 and Android and I have all the remapping tools on it, else I would have first tried Win8 on that.
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 25th Oct 2012 at 21:51.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information