• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: B positive: cleaning up a B16

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

B positive: cleaning up a B16

prologue:
      while my new old car's body was getting restored to pristine condition, I happened to have a lot of free time on my hands and so did maverick0675. so we decided to do a couple of things on his B16 that were missed the first time around. the first time this engine was built, I was a chump and knew little more than some theory. however, a bunch of rebuilds on my Indian engine have put me in a much better situation to understand the B series engine a little better.

the objectives:
      1. replace crappy noname head gasket with an OE Honda gasket.
      2. change existing water pump of unknown mileage and condition to a new one.

#2 was simple enough. #1 was interesting.

everytime a used head is taken off, it should be checked for warpage and planed if it is found to be warped beyond a point where the head gasket will fail to seal the imperfections. even if warpage is found to be within limits, the existing gasket and combustion byproduct material sticking to the metal surface must be removed and the surface made as smooth and flat as humanly possible for the head gasket to do its job properly. this becomes even more critical in engines like Hondas where the gaskets are composed of three thin strips of metal vs the fat, spongy material used by many other manufacturers. plus this being an engine with a specific output of more than 100 bhp per liter in NA form, there is little room for error. so instead of using tried and tested local methods to polish the head surface, we decided to take the head to a good machine shop and give it a little cleaning cut.

enter to Vijaydeep Microtech. this place is one of the most jealously hidden locations in the tuning community. hopefully, not anymore. this is the place where *all* the big names bar none go to get their engines bored, honed and milled. this place does things by the book [factory service manual]. their kickass machining is probably THE reason why some builds last forever despite being abused in every way possible while some blow up within a few thousand kilometers. even better is the fact that they know the value of time and do things right in front of the customer and charge by the hour. anybody who is interested in getting their engines rebuilt should pay this place a visit. it is here: Vijaydeep Microtech

some machine shop pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20121102-00155.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	112630

Name:	IMG-20121102-00156.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	112631

Name:	IMG-20121102-00157.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	112632

Name:	IMG-20121102-00158.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	112633

after getting the cleaning cut, we brought the head back to Peenya and rinsed it thoroughly with diesel, pressurized water and finally compressed air in every crevice to blow out every little metal shaving introduced by the milling process. while reassembling the head I realized that I haven't seen many pictures of the internals of a B series engine online and I had the perfect opportunity to remedy the situation. so here are some pictures of the various components that comprise a B series DOHC VTEC head. enjoy.

head, lost motion assemblies, rocker arms, rocker arm holders, cams, valve cover and VTEC solenoid:

Name:	IMG-20121102-00168.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	112640

Name:	IMG-20121102-00169.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	112641

head flipped to reveal the combustion chambers.

Name:	IMG-20121102-00172.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	112643

combustion chambers from another angle.

Name:	IMG-20121102-00173.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	112644

exhaust side with cam.

Name:	IMG-20121102-00170.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	112642

notice how the low lift lobes are NOT identical. when VTEC isn't engaged, the two intake valves open to different extents and are slightly out of phase with each other. this is meant to induce turbulence in the combustion chamber that increases efficiency. this is one of the reasons why Shrey could extract 16 kmpl from this engine on the highway and I have been able to regularly extract 13 kmpl in a city like Bangalore. after 5500 RPM, Dr. Jekyll becomes Mr. Hyde.

this is a 20 year old engine. the design is even older. yet, it remains capable of giving contemporary engines a run for their money in almost every department, thanks to some brilliant design.

getting a chance to do some work on this engine has been a genuine pleasure. hopefully I will have some block pictures tomorrow.
      Last edited by 007; 18th Feb 2013 at 17:58.

Slow Coach

Awesome

007 I admire your patience & perseverance in analyzing Honda engines. Hats off ! VTEC is indeed a very conceptualised complex system
      Slow Coach

has left gearheads

Secret

007 this is just amazing,the head is opened and kept like jewellery on display, snaps 5 and 7 are just drool maal one of these 2 is gonna be my wallpaper cant decide which one..your knowledge of engines is just amazing.

Slow Coach

Awesome

007 where you able to decipher the change in the cam lift & degree when the VTEC is in disengaged/engaged position ?

VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Last edited by eapen; 20th Feb 2013 at 10:02.
      Slow Coach

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by eapen View Post
      007 where you able to decipher the change in the cam lift & degree when the VTEC is in disengaged/engaged position ?

VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      not for the B engine Eapen. but for our Indian VTEC engines, I was.

Honda:Honda City VTEC [B15C2] Camshaft Profile - GearHeads India

Slow Coach

Awesome

007 if I read the graph correctly there is more than 20% increase in lift & degree in the the intake cam profile when the VTEC engages.
      Slow Coach

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by eapen View Post
      007 if I read the graph correctly there is more than 20% increase in lift & degree in the the intake cam profile when the VTEC engages.
      yup. if you navigate to the link, you will also find an Excel sheet with raw values that you can analyze.

Thread Information