• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: ANHC 2009: 237000+ KMs in 10.8 years

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

That Jakkur airport shot is nice with sun in the background Nomad. You clicked from moving car or stopped on the flyover?

You are the reason I am going to keep my Laali for as long as it continues for me. Even after 3.5 yrs - the car still makes me turn around and look at it. My brother in law was mighty pleased with how it is maintained.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Happy Car did a trip to Karavali region over last 2 days.

Day 1: Onward journey, started from home at 7:45 am, with 4 passengers, me, wife and parents.

Took ORR from Hebbal towards Gureguntepalya, as Hebbal Flyover was packed with traffic. but ORR was also slow moving, it took a while to reach Elevated flyover, after which traffic eased. Reached Kichhana Hallimane by 9:45 AM, stopped for a Bio Break followed by light snack and coffee break. Resumed the journey by 10:15 AM, bypassed CR Pattana, Hassan, took Belur Road, reach Doddagadavalli Laxmi Devi Temple by 12:00 PM. spent 30 minutes there as wife and parents went around the temple.

This time there was a guide explaining various sculptures as well as a Poojari offering noon time pooja. Learnt that Belur Temple has one Gopura, Halebidu temple has 2, Belavadi temple has 3, Laxmi Devi temple has 4, Somnathpur and Kikkeri Temples have 5 gopuras, one gopura per diety. He also showed us many new sculptures and the reason/logic / story behind those which i had not heard before. Poojari gave us some Prasad after the Pooja. Parents and Wife were glad that they visited this temple, we restarted the journey by 12:45 PM.

Bypassed Belur, Chikmagalur, took Vastare-Aldur route, Stopped at Balehonnur at 2:00 PM for lunch break. restarted the journey by 3 PM, reached Sringeri by 4:00 PM. Visited my cousin's newly constructed home, we had missed the housewarming event held in the previous week due to another event in Mumbai. spent 2 hours recalling old, nostalgic times, some nice hot tea and snacks. Resumed the journey by 6 PM, soon rains started, Descended Agumbe Ghat before light faded, there was hardly any traffic, reached Parent's home by 7:45 PM.

Total 12 hours journey with breaks every 2 hours, total 410 KMs. Roads were good throughout the stretch, except 1-2 short detours where a new bridge or a new road is being constructed. Tunga river was almost dry, but malenadu region was still green, waiting for rains.

Day2:

It rained almost whole night, i had slept by 9:30 PM, so woke up by 4 Am with heavy rains pouring down outside. We had to attend a family event at my uncle's home near mangalore, so everyone got ready and started the journey by 7:30 AM and reached the venue by 8:30 AM. spent rest of the day at the event, visited beach and light house close by, had a sumptuous lunch after which visited my maternal uncle's home close by, spent a hour there. returned to parent's home by 3:45 PM, re-freshed, re-paked and resumed the journey by 4:20 PM.

Took the same Hebri-Agumbe-Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur-Aldur-Vastare-Chikmagalur route. took a 45 minutes break at CCD, resumed the journey by 8:15 PM. Bypassed Blur-Hassan and stopped for a quick dinner, resumed the journey by 10 PM and non stop journey brought us home by 00:20 AM, total journey took 8 hours, and was un-eventful. Distance in the day 65 KM + 65 KM + 410 KM = 540 KMS

total 410 KMs + 540 KMs = 950KMs added to the ODO.

Last edited by Nomad; 23rd Jun 2019 at 09:05.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

4 Days of "Mane" Hopping

Mane in Kannada means Home. Over last four days, we did a bit of home hopping, We hopped from Namma Mane to Halli Mane to Nadi Mane to Appa-Ammana Mane to Ajjana Mane to Kuladevara Mane back to Namma Mane, eventually ended up driving approx 1300 KMs.

Namma Mane = Our Home, at Bengaluru
      Halli Mane = Village Home, a restaurant between Nelamangala and Hassan
      DevaraMane = God's Home, A Hill top location near Mudigere, heart of Malenadu
      Nadi Mane = Home of the River, birth place of Hemavathy River
      Appa-Ammana Mane = Parent's Home, near Udupi
      Ajjana Mane = Grand Father's Home, near Kundapur
      Kuladevara Mane = Family God's Home, Temple at Ankola

Day 0:

Got the Happy Car Serviced at the near by FNG. Got the Engine Oil changed in my presence, got the clutch oil, brake oil topped up, got the coolant and wiper fluid topped up, got battery checked, got a puncture fixed, got the pollution certificate renewed, got the car washed, fueled for the trip. all this took about 3 hours of time and RS 3500 (for service) + RS 2800 (for Fuel)

Did some test drive inside the city on way to pick up the girls from their shopping session. Returned home, packed the bags and slept early as we had planned to start early say 5:30 AM.

Day 1:

Started from Namma Mane = Our Home in Bengaluru on Thursday early morning, Stopped for a Breakfast at Halli Mane = Village Home. Then drove to Devaramane = God's Home, near Mudigere, trekked a bit and enjoyed some scenic views of Malenadu ranges, some awesome clouds surrounding us, followed by drizzling rains. visited the old (but renovated) temple there followed by Hot Maggie and Chips as lunch.

Then drove to Nadi Moola (Mane) = Original Birth Home of Hemavathy River near Javali, trekked about 2+2 KMs to visit the birthplace of the the river that flows eastwards and merges with Kaveri in Kodagu District. The rainy trek is through coffee plantations is a slight climb and is very scenic. The place has an old temple and a lake formed by the river water.

Rains continued through our drive through Kalasa, Samse and Kudremukh WLS, winding roads through coffee estates, tea garden, malenadu forest, descending ghat kept me busy and engaged through the drive, while some of the occupants of the car slipped into sleep due to early start and 2 treks. Stopped for a snack break at Karkala and eventually reached Appa-Ammana Mane (Parent's Home) by 7:30 PM. Except expressions of joy on arrival of grand daughter, and a quick dinner, nothing much happened that day, night arrived by 9:30 PM itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 4.22.30 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	237882

Day 2:

Woke up by 7 AM after a long sleep, it was a relaxed day as we had not planned anything. There is a tradition of bringing new rice into the home and making Kheer out of it. so forenoon was spent in that activity, followed by consuming it. sumptuous meal on a "nothing to do day" has its after effects, which comes in the form of afternoon nap, which took away couple of hours. woke up by 4 PM, got ready, had cup of tea and left in search of a beach, which one to visit ?, there are so many in driving distance !!!. Eventually the decision was to go to Malpe beach. spent about 2 hours on the beach, enjoyed some coo breeze, built some sand castles, watched many people do parasailing, trying out water scooters, kids trying fly kites, fishermen returning home, boats at a distance trying to navigate away from St Mary's Island, tourists enjoying some fried fish with beer dosas, some others trying out chats. we experienced all aspects of beach except the sunset due to cloudy skies, eventually after sun set time of 6:19 PM, we decided to return.

Walked to the Balarama Temple, some 500 Meters from the beach, while conversations continued. Madhvacharya had found two statues on the Malpe Beach, some 800-900 Years ago, Balarama statue was placed in Malpe itself, while Krishna statue was placed in Udupi, some 4 KMS away. Reason not known (to me). Balarama was a farmer (with plough as his tool or weapon), a cow-herd keeper and a master wrestler. His Younger Brother Krishna was a middleman, negotiator, facilitator, master strategist, politician of his time, also gave Geeta as a message to the world, in the middle of a war. Balarama was mostly a recluse, not a publicity seeker, did not prefer the war, did not choose any side in the great war. so in a nutshell the middleman get all the credit and farmer remains someone who is not prominent as the middleman.

After paying the visit to the farmer, we went to pay our respects to the master strategist. While we were the only one at the temple of farmer, we had to buy tickets to enter the temple of strategist. There were hundreds of people waiting in queue both paid and unpaid, the evening Pooja was also very elaborate with Swamiji and dozens of priests trying to please he strategist, while we were left to explain ourselves to the farmer. we also got mesmerized by golden armor, diamond studded crown, and beautiful presence of the strategist, while we enjoyed the quietness, freshness, single lamp lit, equally beautiful presence of the farmer. at hindsight, we spent equal amount of time with both of them. we not only need middleman and strategist, we also need the farmer to make our life better, with that newly gained perspective, we visited two must visit places in Udupi, Mitra samaj for their Gold Baje and Diana for their Cutlet and Gadbad Ice cream. The mythical discussion over the farmer and strategist continued, till we reached home. In Rural Areas, nights and sleep arrive quite early.

Day 3:

As it was Navaratri, We had planned to visit to our Kuladevi (Mane) Temple at Ankola, so we woke up early, got ready by 7 AM, had our breakfast and started our drive by 7:45 AM.
      Distance was about 200 KMs, Gmap was showing some 4 hours time for that drive. The roads were pretty good (4 lane, tolled) till Kundapur, after which for few KMS it is under construction including Kundapur Bypass, Roads again improve after Kollur Cross and 4 lane via Maravante, Baindoor till the border of Udupi District. We stopped for some time at Maravanthe beach and took some been there pictures. Shirur onwards towards Bhatkal and till Shirali the roads are under construction. Then again they are 4 laned till honnavar. Honnavar bypass till Kumta and further till Ankola is lane changing time every few KMs. We eventually reached our destination by 10:45 PM, 1 hour ahead of Gmap prediction.

Visited 3 devi temples (Mahamaya, Aaryadurga and Kundodari) in Aankola, attended pooja followed by lunch at the temple. return journey started by 3:30 PM, visited Mirjan Fort, Apsarakonda View point, Waterfall, trekked150 steps down to the beach and returned back to the parking. drove to next beach at village Manki to watch a glorious sunset across Lakshadeep sea. we were the only ones not he beach, sun was just waiting for us to come in so that he can plunge into the sea at the horizon. Sunset was followed by a much more glorious and colorful dusk. initially it was whitish, then became blue, followed by shades of read and pinkish , eventually it turned grey and dark. we had left our cameras back home, so could not capture the same. but memories will serve for now.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 4.24.12 PM.png
Views: 74
Size:  154.9 KB

home run till Udupi was a quiet one as rest were tired and managed to catch few winks, reached home by 8:30 PM, managed to have a quick dinner and hit the sack.

Day 4:

Day started pretty early exactly at 12 midnight, thanks to thunderstorm lightening and heavy rains, which woke up the entire house hold, probably the town itself. enjoyed watching the rains pour down for about hour, then power was cut as a preventive measure, which resumed after another hour. went back to sleep around 2 AM. woke up by 6 AM as it was supposed to be the returning day.

Had Amma's Breakfast followed by some lazy time, got ready, visited Sharada Utsav and Chandika haven in the nearby temple, had a quick lunch at home, said our byes and started our return journey towards Namma Mane. Grand parents wanted the vacation to continue for few more days, but all good things last for a brief time.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 4.26.39 PM.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	237880

For return journey, we decided to take Agumbe, Sringeri, Chikmagalur, Hassan Bengaluru route. it was a drive full of conversations, stopped for a view at Agumbe, for coffee at Chikmagalur, a fuel stop at Udayapura, Dinner at Swati Delicacy, and eventually reached home by 10:30 PM, thus ending the 4 days 1300 KM drive trip.

On route Happy Car crossed 230000 KM on ODO.

Name:	IMG_20191006_205057.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	237879

There was a discussion about when will be the next road trip, it was concluded that it will be after the junior Nomad completes her exams, takes driving lessons and gets her driving license, sometime middle of next year. Looks like i will be demoted to rear seat when it happens, a demotion i am not sure how i will cope up with. I have few more months to get myself prepared for such a demotion.

Wish all of you a very happy Maha Navami and Dasara Festival. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Nomad; 7th Oct 2019 at 17:00.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Non Fast Tag Road Trip, first one in 2020

Went on a 2 days 1100 KM trip, without Fast Tag.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.31.33 AM.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	238882

Since it was a weekday, early morning drive, did not encounter much traffic at toll gates. most toll gates were almost empty and it is a quick stop, pay, collect receipt and drive further activity. Started from Home by 5:15 AM, first hour yielded 73KMs, next hour we could travel 105KMs, Roads beyond Chitradurga were being reconstructed in several places. Stopped ~45 minutes for breakfast at Apoorva Resorts, just before Davangere. After crossing Harihar, stopped for an hour long telephone call. Took the Talavalli - Sirsi route, which is a single lane mostly, but double lane in some stretches.

Stopped at a Sugar Cane Juice shop for a drink, and a Lotus pond to pick up few lotus flowers. it has been a wish since childhood to pluck the lotus from the pond, but never got the opportunity as well as intent was never to get the feels dirty. This pond had many flowers at arms length from the tank bund. Reached Sirsi by 12:30 PM. Visited a relative couple who were blessed with a baby boy last weekend. spent some time with the infant. had lunch with the family, fueled up the happy car and started from Sirsi by 2:15 PM.

Reached Ankola by 3:30 PM, visited our family temple spent half an hour there. Restarted the journey by 4 PM, drove down the good old NH17, which is being converted in to 4 lane highway. took a tea break at Panduranga International, Kumta, and another 30 minutes break at Maravante Beach for Sunset. Eventually reached Udupi by 7:30 PM.

Next day, left Udupi by 10:30 AM, drove to Karkala, attended an New House warming event, met many relatives, had lunch and started the home run by 3 PM. Drove through Charmadi, Kottigehara, Belur, Hassan, nelamangala to back home. I had to refuel at Hassan. We also stopped to admire western Ghats at Charmadi view point, Tea break Kottigehara, Sunset view after Belur.

Toll Plazas between Hassan and Nelamangala took long time as many vehicle used to jump the queue, enter the fast tag lane and then try to squeeze into the cash lane, every toll plaza took 15-20 minutes at least , total may be about an hour extra. We Indian's won't change. When all but one lane were cash lanes, people used to act smart and enter fast tag lane and block traffic, now when all lanes but one are fast tag lanes, people try to act smarter, enter fast tag lane and then get diverted into cash lane, try to join the lane ahead of everybody and block everyone who are in queue.

Total Distance driven over two days was just short of 1100 KMs. I had not expected that i would still be posting in this ownership thread in 2020, when the car was bought in 2009. another 4 months to go before 11th Anniversary. Another 2 months to go before BS6 to kick-in, probably another year to go before Automobile market returns back to growth. ODO now stands at 237000+ KMs.

Last edited by Nomad; 1st Feb 2020 at 13:48.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Are you allowed to keep this car for as long as you want?

It's not how fast you drive.
      It's how you drive fast.

Awesome

But why without a Fastag Nomad?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Went on a 2 days 1100 KM trip, without Fast Tag.
      Reached Ankola by 3:30 PM, visited our family temple spent half an hour there.
      the car was bought in 2009. another 4 months to go before 11th Anniversary.
      Had it not been the line in bold, I'd have bet you and my boss were the same person
      He too drives a Honda city of similar vintage, doesn't have fastag yet and was on leave for the last couple of days.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Indian, I am sure I am allowed to keep the car as long as I like, but I am not sure whether i am.allowed to drive the car after 15 years from date of first purchase and registration. Good news is it is a petrol vehicle. If it would have been a diesel vehicle re-registration would not have been possible. Anyway, it is a question I have to deal with after 4 years.

megazoid. There were lot many fellow Indians who were in a hurry to get the fast tags, I was not in a hurry and did not join the herd of people in the purchase queue. More over I had no plans of going on a road trip till Aug 2020, so I had plenty of time before I actually use the fast tag. This trip came up all of a sudden. Anyway, there will be a cash lane always, cash is the primary mode of payment from a legal stand point.

jaguar, when your boss returns, you can check with him
      Last edited by Nomad; 2nd Feb 2020 at 08:16.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Indian, I am sure I am allowed to keep the car as long as I like, but I am not sure whether i am.allowed to drive the car after 15 years from date of first purchase and registration. Good news is it is a petrol vehicle. If it would have been a diesel vehicle re-registration would not have been possible. Anyway, it is a question I have to deal with after 4 years.
      As of today petrol/diesel car or bike can be driven for as long as you get Fitness Certificate from RTO which you can get for each 5 years. Only NCR has policy of no FC as on current date.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread Information