• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Skil Car Polisher 9070 (Rotary) Review

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Called up a dealer in Peenya, Bangalore...price quoted over phone is Rs. 5011 /- inclusive of taxes and with bill...he is also willing to let me play around with it thinking of going for a visit on Sat to check it out.

anyway am planning to order a M14 backing plate and pads from outside whenever i plan to buy a machine...
      Last edited by fordfan; 20th Nov 2012 at 10:36.

driveclean.in

Awesome

Just now I got the same quote here in Chennai too. Only thing is if you don't want the bill(warranty is still applicable), then he'll give for 4850/-.

dubbu dubbu dubbu

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      fernando there are local dealers available so no need for ebay. I will try and call up their bangalore dealer to check the price
      thanks..we can organize to pick up more than one and get a discount..count me in..
      "Sailors work like horses at sea and spend their money like asses ashore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECLIPSE CD7200 MKII / KENWOOD KOS-A300 / DYNAUDIO ESOTEC 242 / HELIX P-400 / ULTIMO SC 12 / JBL GTO 751EZ / MONSTER XLN 402 / GLADEN CINCH ZERO / GLADEN 11 & 13 GAUGE / DAMPMAT / FOCAL 4 GAUGE AMP WIRING KIT

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

I've recently attended a Power Tools Demo/Training from Bosch and the Skil product line actually factors in at the low-cost side of their product positioning.

Here is how they categorize their products

RED (Skil) - Low cost product targeted at hobby use - Medium MTBF
      Green (Bosch) - Semi-professional/Home use - Medium-Good MTBF
      Blue (Bosch) - Professional Tools - Highest MTBF and can take a lot of abuse

Choose your pick based on your intended application.
      I guess the RED and GREEN series should suit the most of us. I have collected almost half a dozen GREEN tools from Bosch in the past decade and they have been stellar so far.

Also checkout the following
      Bosch GPO12CE Professional 7inch Polisher for sale in India-best price-free shipping-COD-warranty-Bu
      Black&Decker KP1200 10" Random Orbital/Dual action(DA) Car Polisher for sale at best price in India
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 20th Nov 2012 at 12:06.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      RED (Skil) - Low cost product targeted at hobby use.
      Green (Bosch) - Semi-professional/Home use
      Blue (Bosch) - Professional Tools
      Thanks that's interesting to know...me i would either go for the cheapest (Skil in this case costing 5k) or the best i can afford (Rupes costing 15k). Can afford to waste 15k on a hobby product right now but there is a chance of growing into the Rupes as i learn more...

The Rupes offers some good features like a soft start and such things...so need to check out the Skil and see whether it suits or not.

Makita is way better than the rest but has its pros and cons and yes close competition would probably be from Rupes and the Flex rotary...

what i like best about the Rupes is that it weighs the least and believe me that is a big factor even for hobby use...a vibrating heavy tool in your hand for a while is not good!

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

what i like best about the Rupes is that it weighs the least and believe me that is a big factor even for hobby use
      I thought more weight (to an extend) is good for this application. The thought process was we could glide the polisher over areas where pressure cannot be applied evenly and effectively (Ex. Roof) but now when I think of it, for the sides, a lighter tool may be preferable.

I guess I've seen Flex with most professional detailers here in India. What exactly are these stuffs priced at? I don't remember hearing the word "Cheap" or "Reasonable".
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 20th Nov 2012 at 12:12.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Awesome

Re: Skil Car Polisher 9070 (Rotary) Review

Weight is good for DA where additional pressure needed for more cut. For rotary light pressure and the motion of the plate will do the job... Rotary have more torque generally allowing greater cut and yes the weight of the tool helps too...

Generally rotary have make less noise than DA, cut faster and have less vibrations

Depending on the polish say for a quarter of bonnet, using a traditional DAT polish which needs to be broken down, even with a rotary, will need around 15-16 passes which translates into around 15 mins or more per panel if you are using a one step polish.

So for, say Kash's Tucson approx 30 mins for each panel total 4hrs minimum, with breaks to reduce heat generation say 5 hrs so weight starts to matter after a while along with noise and vibration. Mind you this can be played around with by using different polishes/pads (more aggressive pads/polishes will cut faster reducing time but again the risk is of removing more clear coat than required).

Where an expert polisher gets differentiated from his brethren is knowing what product combo will work on which paint and how much less to be removed for effective paint correction matching customer expectations.

A paint depth gauge (PDG) helps immensely in knowing how aggressive to go where on the paint. Not sure if Indian detailers use a PDG, good ones are upward of GBP400 and entry level ones around GBP 200, so not cheap.

In India, the chinese rotary's (known popularly as China polishers) are available for around 5k, Rupes rotary for around 15k, Megs DA for around 15k. Makita rotary for around 18k (as per website), Flex polisher (the hybrid one) for 22k or something from Ultimate Detailers (not sure had seen this somewhere on the net)

Imports cost much lesser, now that i have found Shinearama who have a flat rate shipping even for heavy items, even including custom duties...only thing why i have hesitated from importing is that no warranty applicable... these generally dont break down but in case they do, it become an expensive paperweight

one interesting thing is unlike a DA, where it needs to be moved around, the rotary will move by itself, one needs to just guide it

P.S. Flex, Festools these brands make money in construction industry, so does Makita to a large extent but does cater to the bodyshop crowds, other brands like Rupes etc make money from bodyshops
      Last edited by fordfan; 20th Nov 2012 at 13:01.

aka cmsajith

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      RED (Skil) - Low cost product targeted at hobby use - Medium MTBF
      Green (Bosch) - Semi-professional/Home use - Medium-Good MTBF
      Blue (Bosch) - Professional Tools - Highest MTBF and can take a lot of abuse
      Bosch is having only 2 categories: Professional and DIY
      Professional : Blue
      DIY : Green (Europe), Red under name Skil (US and rest). Green and Red are for Semi-Pro/HomeUse with same quality.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by cmsajith View Post
      Bosch is having only 2 categories: Professional and DIY
      Professional : Blue
      DIY : Green (Europe), Red under name Skil (US and rest). Green and Red are for Semi-Pro/HomeUse with same quality.
      duhhh...am jealous. would have loved to attend it

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

he is also willing to let me play around with it
      When Shall I come then. One nice polish is also required for my truck. It has been 2 years now.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information