• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lifetime of Ford Figo diesel Engine

free from the clutches of the
      city!

Awesome

I have some amount of blow-by too, this i observed even at <10k km from new. Unless you see blue smoke or oil level getting down, you don't need to worry.

Nevertheless, i would rate 1.5 dci engine better than 1.4 tdci for longevity. There's this neighbour who has covered 98xxx km, engine sound and performance is as good as new. But most fiestas >1 Lakh km has a sort of rough sound.

BS IV has gelded this engine. Period. BS III engines are running better in the Ikons.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      That is clearly blowby. Its normally accompanied by increased oil consumption.
      This looks like a blowby but that not mean your oil consumption will increase. It all depends as fuel can also seep into the crankcase and mix with the oil keeping the level high or normal

Life is too short to enjoy

Hungry

In India, it’s common to see Toyota Innovas, Mahindra Scorpios, Boleros and some older Toyota Qualis with over 400,000 km on the odometer. You will find drivers of these vehicles swearing that they have never had to open the engine for anything other than routine oil changes. With petrol cars, you’ll find that once a car reaches about 200,000 km, it will begin to knock a little, as the rings loosen up. It’s at this stage that it probably needs an overhaul. Of course, this depends a lot on how the vehicle has been driven – a well maintained and carefully driven petrol car also can last much longer.

Diesel engines have nearly twice the life-span of a petrol engine if routine maintenance is followed. This maintenance, however, can be slightly more expensive than a comparable petrol. If you maintain a diesel engine well and drive carefully.

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AMG Style View Post
      This maintenance, however, can be slightly more expensive than a comparable petrol.
      How can diesel cars be more expensive to maintain than petrol cars? Fuel filters must be changed on both cars. Both have fuel injectors and fuel pumps. Petrol cars will have the additional cost of replacing the spark plugs, otherwise they are about the same.
      Diesel cars rev less than petrol cars and that must be the reason for lasting longer.
      On my old petrol Multivan, the 6 cylinder 2.8 litre engine was doing 3800 RPM at 100 km/hour while my 5 cylinder 2.5 litre TDI does 2800 RPM at the same speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BABY.J.CLINT View Post
      Will be going to Ford Authorized Service Center Tuesday.
      Surely something is wrong with crankcase pressures like that. Have you checked for leaking seals behind the pulleys? Worn valve guides and/or leaking valves can increase crankcase pressure too but at 28,000 km, your car is almost new....
      Last edited by kb100; 13th Jul 2014 at 17:45.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Update : Common characteristics found in two car's in family circle.

Update. I've checked with my uncle's (NRA) Fiesta TDCi (2007) 32k kms (which mostly runs two or three month in a year ) and a relative's Figo TDCi(2011), 26K kms, which the owner is bit harsh on pedal. On both of them the blowby is present, with more or less the same density of fumes. I'm totally confused.
      -Owners of TDCi engined cars- Please check with the same. I have never seen such problems in other engines, Viz Multijet, K9K etc. Is the TDCi engine like this or is there any serious problems with this particular engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      Surely something is wrong with crankcase pressures like that. Have you checked for leaking seals behind the pulleys? Worn valve guides and/or leaking valves can increase crankcase pressure too but at 28,000 km, your car is almost new....
      I've to take it to the service center for detailed diagnosis. I haven't checked the leaking seal behind pulleys. Will ask to inspect it from service centre.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
      I have some amount of blow-by too, this i observed even at <10k km from new. Unless you see blue smoke or oil level getting down, you don't need to worry.
      Thanks man. Have you enquire about it in service center? What was their verdict?
      Last edited by BABY.J.CLINT; 13th Jul 2014 at 22:11.

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

I have never seen such problems in other engines
      I would do a compression test on the engine. Check for leaky valves and valve guides. Have you checked for oil in the coolant or coolant level going down? A blown head gasket could be the culprit here. Has your car ever overheated at any time? Aluminium cylinder heads can warp when overheated. I am using the worse case scenarios here but these things are worth checking out.
      I got very curious today and went out and checked my high mileage TDI. She is soon tipping over the 250,000 km mark and the engine has never been opened. The results are posted here. I dont feel any pressure or see any smoke and the only difference is a hollow sound when I remove the filler cap.
      Check out the video.

free from the clutches of the
      city!

Awesome

Thanks man. Have you enquire about it in service center? What was their verdict?
      I haven't asked about this in the service center.

This is not an issue to be worried about, because you will get much other signs/symptoms when you really have to worry about engine life.

My other older diesels from ford(1.8 endura) has seen much worse blow-by- the oil will spill from the filling and dipstick hole at about 1 lakh km- but it kept running just like that for 1.9 lakh km.

Keep watching the engine sounds, exhaust gas color under steady rpm(not when accelerating), oil level and engine-pickup. If anything is not normal, then is the time to start worrying.

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Will ask to inspect it from service centre.
      If you take off the plastic cover you might see a rubber tube going to the oil filler. Check that the breather tube is not blocked or not loose in the fittings in any way.
      I need to make a correction in an earlier post. My car revs at 2200 RPM at 100 km/hour and not 2800.

I'm bored with my car !!

Awesome

Re Boring the TDCi Engine

Hi friends, I am Shankar from Mysore. I am a Mechanical Engineer and an active Radio Amateur. I have a Ford Fiesta and Opel Astra Club Class.

I have given my Fiesta engine for a re boring at Ex TVS All Cars service centre. He says he had already done an engine and can be done. Is he right. I have taken the decision. Hope its works out fine. Any tips for me to be careful about?

Shanks
      Mysore

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
      Any tips for me to be careful about?
      How much has the car run? Why did you decide to rebuild the engine?

Usually, these engines are good for lakhs of kilometers, and there are very slim chances that you would need a rebuild before 3 lakh kilometers?

Quote Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
      Hope its works out fine.
      I am sure it will work out fine for the garage.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information