• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OOhhhhhh ICE'd

Spammer™

Secret

Talking OOhhhhhh ICE'd

My journey with music started about 15 years ago when i got the first Walkman which was the best thing I owned till date, then came the discman’s and then iPod’s back then it was only the stock earphones / headphones which were available in the Indian market and they were pretty good. Fast forward to 2001 got the very first iPod as gift oh boy oh boy what a wonderful piece of technology it was, came with good sounding earphones. I purchased every iPod which was released till 2007.

Joined Techenclave in 2007 and happened to buy my very first IEM (Creative EP630) through the first ever group buy in TE. IIRC I paid 660/- , i was blown away by quality of music it had decent bass response, mids compared to the Apple ones. They died after a year of usage, after which got a Head Direct RE2 then a RE1 jumped to Denon D200 in mid of 2010 and a Ultimate Ears TF10 during the black Friday sale of 2010. Sources were also changing at same pace (Creative Zen, Cowon D2+, SanDisk Sana Fuze, and Clip+). Used D2000, TF10 for about 2 years and then dumped them due to non-usage. The last i enjoyed the D2000 was in early 2011 and TF10 till Jan of this year.

The Corolla came with decent speakers and HU which I was satisfied but Xtrail came crappy speakers, happened to upgrade them to some JBL’s which did sound good for first 6 months and then they were acting crazy , never bothered to fix them. Even before i got the delivery date of my XUV it was confirmed that i need a damn good ICE in it as the stock system was crappy and I was used to good IEM’s and headphones. Started looking out of for a good ICE package all I knew were the brands like Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Polk, Pioneer, JBL’s, Focal’s and Illusion audio. Little did I know that there were some amazing brands out there like the Rainbow, Diamond Audio, HAT’s, Mosconi/ Gladen (this was after joining Gear Heads).

I had created this thread http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?1...ons-fo-XUV-5OO asking for suggestions, bumped into Kaushal who was also in the same boat regarding ICE for his XUV after reading rave reviews about HAT in DIYMA we wanted to audition them but couldn’t as there was no demo car or any customer in Bangalore who had installed them. One fine day Mi10 calls up saying I am coming to Bangalore and you can audition the speakers, tagged along Kaushal to meet him. OMG was my expression when i heard to his ICE but after coming to know the cost of it i was like . I did not have that kind of budget but about 50K for everything but as we all know GH members are every good at making sure budget always shoots north, so did mine to about 75K and then to 80K .

I had discussions with my friend Tool regarding speakers, he suggested to get the HAT imagines for both front and rear paired with a Mosconi 120.4 amplifier. Praveen suggested to get the Rockford Fosgate RFK4D from the US as I had folks coming down and Kaushal was already in talks with Monty regarding Dampmats. The amp, wiring kit took their own sweet time to arrive (close to 2.5 months due logistics issues). In the meanwhile i was able to pool in some more money and wanted to go for Clarus but my installer (Top Gear Anwar) said without modification’s to door pads Clarus will not fit in the stock location as it needs a high mounting depth. The next best one to get was the HAT Unity’s, spoke to Jasdeep regarding same and he happen to give it to me at a very good price, a better price that what I had expected.

Due to busy work schedule my install was pending for looong time. I decided it bunk work and get it installed. Installation was done by Anwar (Top Gear) whose team jumped on my car the moment i drove into and completed the dampening, wiring the amp and installation of speaker in less than 3 hours, then came the hard part where in i had to take a decision of allowing them to cut a couple of wires to connect the amp in 4 channel. Initially Anwar said it’s not needed and he can do it without cutting any kind of wires (using pre outs) but later said that he has to cut wires as the pre outs in the stock HU are sad. I did not want to lose warranty by cutting put wires on a brand new cars, called my RM and told him about cutting wires it took about 20 minutes to explain him what i was intending to do, he got back to me after an hour saying that he spoke to warranty team and it does not void warranty by cutting the speaker wires. The entire process took about 2-3 hours.I gave green signal with the cutting of wires then came another hiccup , Anwar wanted to use Gladen RCA cables as he said they are better than the ones RFK4D kit , I did not have any other choice apart from taking his advice as I was running out of time and patience.

PS: There might be some alignments issues/typos as i typed the entire thread in Apple Pages and then copy pasted it via tapatalk.
      Last edited by Metalspree; 26th Nov 2012 at 23:22. Reason: Error Correction

Spammer™

Secret

Talking

Installation was done by 6PM and tuning took about 30-40 minutes. When I heard the setup for the first time i was like f******ck this sucks ,it sounds very bright and not what I had expected . Did i spend 84k on this? , asked Anwar what’s happening why does it sound so lame.his immediate answer was your HU sucks and i can’t do much, I requested him lets tune it when I am in the car, he said NO this is the best i have done . I was literally ****ed on him and did not talk much.

Here were a couple of things Anwar told which can be done it sound it better
      1) Bypass stock HU and add a single din like the Pioneer DEH 80PRS
      Me: Nopes not interested in screwing up the dashboard and losing all the steering controls.

2) Add a mono + Sub
      Me: Sounds good but no moolah for now i will come back later.

When i asked him about DSP, he was like meeeh they do not sound all that good when compared to a good HU. I did not speak a word, settled the bill and drove back home ranting big time. I could not sleep properly that night as I had just wasted 84K on something which doesn’t sound even half good as what I had expected.

Very next day called Rahul asking if anyone can help me with tuning , he said no one in Bangalore can do it expect for a few GH members, tried calling Praveen to check if he is in town alas he was not reachable , gave Jasdeep a call and explained him the whole situation, he said it should certainly not sound as bad as you are telling let me have a look and i will try my best to make it sound better.

Met Jasdeep the same day and we drove to some local installer to help us in removing the seat so that the amp controls are reachable. He worked on the amp for about 30 minutes and ohhhhhhh boy it sounded much better than what it was sounding an hour back. The mids were smooth and perfect, the highs were crisp, the bass which was non-existent earlier was definitely sounding better. Thanks to Jasdeep for the help i am happy with my car ICE now and even happy that I did not waste 84K .

I was bit unhappy about Anwar's way of handling customer’s. I agree is he the best in Bangalore but below are a few rants about his place:

1) He just doesn’t listen to what you want but does it what he likes (example tuning).
      2) Doesn’t stock anything except the wallet burning products like he had speaker cable which he said a meter is 260 Rs/- and RCA cables nothing less than 4-5K.
      3) His workers misplaced the fuse in the wiring kit and installed some fuse after altering the fuse holder. They estimated that I might need some more Dampening other than what I had got they did have some but they quality was not all that great compared to Monty’s Dampmats. After an hour they come back saying we do not need extra mats .

Would I go back to Anwar: Not sure, on look out for a decent installer who listens to what I want and stock some products in case of emergency, some may not agree with the above but again these were my observations.

Here is a breakup of the install

1) HAT Unity components: 19K
      2) HAT Imagine: 14K
      3) Mosconi 120.4: 26.5K
      4) Rockford Fosgate RFK4D wiring kit : $92
      5) DampMat bulk pack : 7.5K ( got it before the price hike i.e, 3-4 months back.)
      5) Installation : 7.5K
      6) Gladen RCA Cable : 4K

If any GH member wants to audition HAT products (Imagine/ Unity) you are welcome.

PS : A big thanks to Mi10 , zoso02 , Tool , 7xkaushal and all other who helped me completing the project .

PS PS: Also a big thanks to monty9991 who was ready to dispatch a couple of sheets of Dampmats to Kaushal if i happen to borrow from him. All this without asking for any money .

I owe all you folks a beer if you happen to take it else a cup of horlicks .

A couple of photos of the products and a couple during install

Things planned for future Mono + Sub + DSP. I doubt i can install everything at one shot but looking at doing them at 2 stages.

Sneak Peak @ Stage 2 :

RMS Power Rating(CEA-2006-A)
      Bridged, 2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 channel
      Last edited by venbab; 28th Nov 2012 at 11:25. Reason: Added Pics, edited as requested by OP

Allergic to Morons and
      Retards..

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Metalspree View Post
      1) He just doesn’t listen to what you want but does it what he likes (example tuning).
      2) Doesn’t stock anything except the wallet burning products like he had speaker cable which he said a meter is 260 Rs/- and RCA cables nothing less than 4-5K.
      3) His workers misplaced the fuse in the wiring kit and installed some fuse after altering the fuse holder. They estimated that I might need some more Dampening other than what I had got they did have some but they quality was not all that great compared to Monty’s Dampmats. After an hour they come back saying we do not need extra mats .
      100% Agreed with observations, but I still say he(his team) is the best in installation ( I said Installation not tuning, I do not have experience with other tuners). I have done setup from him and some woofer installations and so far after almost 3 years no rattles so far. I have seen the installations starts rattling / jarring just the next day onwards...

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Congrats on your Metalspree. It happens that most of the time ! Most installers tune what is right in practice than what we consumers like ! Sadly not all like that ! Good to know finally you're happy with your install !

A question on the installation of sponge / foam on the door pads. Were they present in the door pads or have they been added as a part of your ICE installation ?

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Congrats Metalspree!
      Good write-up. Try some hands on DIY tuning or take some help of few resident ICEheads on tuning and setting the FSA. Time Alignment is a great to have feature.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2017 Isuzu D-Max V Cross: PX5 Android HU -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| Helix P400 | Kravchenko KAXBLTWT & HAT Legatia L6SE | Boston GT2125 | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | SounDigital SD250.1| Infinity REF1200S
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta: Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125 | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Up and Running

Awesome

1) HAT Unity components: 19K
      2) HAT Imagine: 14K
      3) Mosconi 120.4: 26.5K
      4) Rockford Fosgate RFK4D wiring kit : $92
      5) DampMat bulk pack : 7.5K
      5) Installation : 7.5K
      6) Gladen RCA Cable : 4K
      Congrats and good choice of equipments there Metalspree.

Couldn't figure out whether the speaker location is lower in the door or high up like in fiesta. It is preferable to place the speakers close to floor rather than up near dash to get optimum stage and performance.

Sneak Peak @ Stage 2 :

RMS Power Rating(CEA-2006-A)
      Bridged, 2 ohms: 600 watts x 1 channel
      Good luck...i recommend DSP over mono+sub.
      Last edited by matbhuvi; 27th Nov 2012 at 11:11.
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Congrats Buddy !

Wishing you many musical miles and yeah along with nice upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      whether the speaker location is lower in the door or high up like in fiesta.
      Its actually bit higher than the Fiesta. But yeah you can expect to dig cavities in a 15L SUV for sake of Sound
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Spammer™

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by vineeth View Post
      100% Agreed with observations, but I still say he(his team) is the best in installation ( I said Installation not tuning, I do not have experience with other tuners). I have done setup from him and some woofer installations and so far after almost 3 years no rattles so far. I have seen the installations starts rattling / jarring just the next day onwards...
      Yup he indeed is . I bumped into him today to discuss about the Sub ( Guess i have to sacrifice the tuning part for his amazing installations)

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      A question on the installation of sponge / foam on the door pads. Were they present in the door pads or have they been added as a part of your ICE installation ?
      The sponge was added by the installer, he was supposed to use some carpet kind of material but it was too thick for XUV.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      Congrats Metalspree!
      Good write-up. Try some hands on DIY tuning or take some help of few resident ICEheads on tuning and setting the FSA. Time Alignment is a great to have feature.
      There are high chances that i will screw it up than fixing it, its better to be left to the ICEheads.

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      Congrats and good choice of equipments there Metalspree.

Couldn't figure out whether the speaker location is lower in the door or high up like in fiesta. It is preferable to place the speakers close to floor rather than up near dash to get optimum stage and performance.

Good luck...i recommend DSP over mono+sub.
      Its on the higher position. DSP hmmm , now that damage is done it has to wait till Stage 3.

PS : Forgot to add this to the post , Thank you Bass&Trouble for patiently answering all my n00b questions even though i did not happen to buy any products from you. Amey saar thanks to you also , more eating your brain stuff is coming up .

mclaren1885 , tadukuttan can u post the above to the post??
      Last edited by Metalspree; 27th Nov 2012 at 17:24. Reason: More info

Never believe it cannot be
      done - it's only that you
      haven't found out how!!!

Hungry

I owe all you folks a beer if you happen to take it else a cup of horlicks
      aaaaa.... A cup of horlicks for me plz...hahaha

just for the reference here is and XUV I did an install on few months back https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0773294&type=3
      Last edited by monty9991; 27th Nov 2012 at 19:24.
      Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Micro Precision 3.16 | Rainbow SL NG coax | Mosconi AS100.4 | Genesis Profile Sub
      Image Dynamics iD MAX | Rockford Fosgate RFK4D | Gladen 13G & 11G Speaker Wire | NoiseKill/ Dynamat Xtreme
      My installs : www.facebook.com/AudioSymPro, www.AudioSymPro.com
      DampMat : www.facebook.com/Dampmat , www.DampMat.com
      WaterGuard : www.waterguard.in

Spammer™

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by monty9991 View Post
      aaaaa.... A cup of horlicks for me plz...hahaha

just for the reference here is and XUV I did an install on few months back https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0773294&type=3
      Can you PM me your no ?, i need to talk to you about something.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information