• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future is this - Step by Step Video for Extracting Digital out from Android Phones*

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

The Future is this - Step by Step Video for Extracting Digital out from Android Phones*

Hi Folks,

I ve been dreaming this day for the last 2 years. I ve backed out of the Carputer way ever since i saw the Capactive touch displays of 4" Android Smartphones. Becasue whatever configuration of Carputer you make, a good quality Capacitive Touch screen which is practical still seems an hard reality for most on budget.

An Quality Android Phone + the option to bypass the internal DAC was in my dreams always. I had a vision of replacing the Headunits with Android Phones and Still experience Quality Sound. I scrapped my Carputer Project way back in early 2011 and been upgrading Phones and updating custom roms in search of the Audio over USB (Host) that was evading android devices till a couple of months back. I resisted all temptation to turn to Carputer as i was hoping something would come up soon - As my faith and hope faded, i evenutally switched to iphone (4S). But that platform was too restrictive for my liking.

I researched around and got hold of the HRT Streamer - one of the few DAC's which doesnt need an external PSU and a VFM factor which is unbeatable. I got all the Accessories needed. and Kept on Changing ROM to ROM all builds from nightly to RC to Stable were thrown at it - but just couldnt get the output light on the DAC to glow.

One fine day, i got hold of my boss's S3 and Hooked it and voila the Light came on ! My joy knew no bounds, but then i need to have a working POC so that i dont end up dissappointed. As i searched for a droid that can fulfill this Requirement, the Galaxy Note 2. I got this at 8 PM Yesterday and the first thing i did (apart from posting in FB) is that i went and checked this out. I played a WAV file and the Results was Fab !.

I have made a video of the same;

The Player i used is Neutron - To me its by far the most advanced player ever made on Droid platform. What with 4 band full range Parametric EQ, Slopes, PreAmp control, Rumble Filter, 64 bit Rendering, Auto Gain Protection and so on...

I am dying to try it out in my Car. Hopefully few other things like car mount should be done in net 2 weeks. So Stay tuned

*Android Phones - Currently tested on Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2.
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      I am dying to try it out in my Car. Hopefully few other things like car mount should be done in net 2 weeks. So Stay tuned
      I'm hooked to this one ... planning something similar and can't wait to get my Galaxy Tab 2
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

A small step towards, Samsung, Apple, Microsoft or Google In Car Entertainment systems.

EDIT : you may find strange that I added Apple to the list, even though it does not have USB. I am sure people will find a way to use IPad mini as a head unit, through Other interfaces.
      Last edited by Nomad; 28th Nov 2012 at 13:53.

Up and Running

Awesome

Gr8..time for next Chennai ICE meet in 2 weeks

One question..why a DAC? why not a DSP?...seems like a limiting factor for Mi10 that i know
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

Hi Folks,

I ve been dreaming this day for the last 2 years. I ve backed out of the Carputer way ever since i saw the Capactive touch displays of 4" Android Smartphones. Becasue whatever configuration of Carputer you make, a good quality Capacitive Touch screen which is practical still seems an hard reality for most on budget.........

...................*Android Phones - Currently tested on Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note 2.
      Not able to play the video ?

I will downlod and try it on my Note 2. Can I connect to my car stock audio system via USB- Aux cable?
      Last edited by mclaren1885; 28th Nov 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Removed the full quote.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Now that I've a chance to get rid of my HU & hook up my would be phone ! Great going Mi10. Bring it on. Would've been awesome to audition this one on the Fiesta !!! But it has become history now

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

O_o

Awesome

I got this at 8 PM Yesterday and the first thing i did (apart from posting in FB) is that i went and checked this out. I played a WAV file and the Results was Fab !.
      I have no idea what all gibberish you told earlier but this I understood so downloading the player now.

when we meet i will take some good music from you as well.

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      One question..why a DAC? why not a DSP?...seems like a limiting factor for Mi10 that i know
      DSP's generally accept SPDIF / Coaxial as Digital input apart from Regular Analog Ones. Now, i can still have a converter to take out the Digital via USB and use an Adaptor to convert it into a SPDIF - But you see it requires a seperate Device and a Power source to Function. More Devices, more chances of noise and more chances of screwing up.
      A DSP's core functionality can be replaced with a Amp's onboard XO + A Player like Neutron. Only in Active setups you ll need more control where a DSP makes sense.
      Second, few processors like Bit one / ten have limitation in DAC end (can play only 44.1 Khz / 16 Bit) Whereas this can play files upto 24 bit / 96 Khz.
      And Finally, the Cost Comparison of DAC to DSP is atleast 4X !! Unless i go for Active setup why would i spend 650$ to get a Processor when i can get same SQ at 150 $ ?

Quote Originally Posted by WOODSNAKE View Post
      I will downlod and try it on my Note 2. Can I connect to my car stock audio system via USB- Aux cable?
      This is taking the Digital out, so it wont work on AUX (which is an Analog out)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      I have no idea what all gibberish you told earlier ...
      That's the typical Godfather we all know of

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      ..but this I understood so downloading the player now.

when we meet i will take some good music from you as well.
      Sure Goddy !, i ll post a walkthrough of the Neutron player later tonight. Its an amazing player with tremendous capability.
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Resident Visitor
      You ask any ricer, any serious
      ricer. It doesn't matter if
      the other guy is racing or
      not. A win is a win

Awesome

Awesome info Mi10 !!

Quote Originally Posted by matbhuvi View Post
      Gr8..time for next Chennai ICE meet
      +1 to that..

Audio over USB (Host) that was evading android devices till a couple of months back
      Was this introduced in Jellybean?
      Jesus had a Honda.. John 12:49: 'For I did not speak of my own Accord'

2015 Maruti Alto K10 | 2012 Honda City | 2014 Mercedes Benz B180 CDI | 2008 Skoda Octavia

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

Originally Posted by WOODSNAKE

This is taking the Digital out, so it wont work on AUX (which is an Analog out)
      SO how do we play it on our car speakers or a new HU is needed? Please clarify.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information