• Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Figo GC Issues

ironically a remapped tdi is
      faster than the next segment
      tdi at lesser price.

Awesome

Figo GC Issues

camchennai yksharma @Evolution Dev11

driving a ford figo titanium Diesel.. stock car..michelin tires upgraded to 195 section with 31psi air... today i had totally 4 on board. normally i think 31psi is best suited for highway on this car and my seat,headlight and steering was also adjusted for highway.. my uncle guided me to an inside hilly road,though i didnt want to as i knew it would scrap the belly.. it did.. front bumper under side fully scraped.....i'm just so sad...a minor scratch on exhaust pipe too..the stones were too much...lost momentum...got stalled 2 times...a bit wheel spin and scraps..damn..
      driving back i showed my anger and i said this car's setting is for highway and you should not have guided me to this bad road at night...he eagerly replied ,im driving for the past 40+ years,no such setting for vehicles,should know to drive well and use of gears properly and almost all indian cars have same ground clearance and blah blah........right now im a bit confused..

1. bad roads or bad roads + stones,like kerala roads inside the villages, tires should have more air to give some extra ground clearance..isnt?
      2.less air required only to climb mountains,or only big stones or serious off roading..isnt?
      3.a balanced air pressure of neither too high or too low suited for highway.isnt? as too low air would give more resistance and may blast under high temperature..too high air would ruin handling and become dangerous..isnt?
      4.like today's condition, it's night,new unseen road,hilly + broken stones..with a car like figo with low ground clearance.. what would you do?
      5.as he said,even though it's stupid,do most cars have same ground clearance? as he meant it's with the driver and and can take all cars in the same way on the same terrain? i dont think so BTW.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by H Rajesh Kumar View Post
      1. bad roads or bad roads + stones,like kerala roads inside the villages, tires should have more air to give some extra ground clearance..isnt?
      2.less air required only to climb mountains,or only big stones or serious off roading..isnt?
      3.a balanced air pressure of neither too high or too low suited for highway.isnt? as too low air would give more resistance and may blast under high temperature..too high air would ruin handling and become dangerous..isnt?
      4.like today's condition, it's night,new unseen road,hilly + broken stones..with a car like figo with low ground clearance.. what would you do?
      5.as he said,even though it's stupid,do most cars have same ground clearance? as he meant it's with the driver and and can take all cars in the same way on the same terrain? i dont think so BTW.
      H Rajesh Kumar, too many questions, if we try to find out an answer in relevance with your experience, but unfortunately (may be) each of them has a point.

But, from my experience till date I can surely say that the main reason behind scrapping Figo underbelly can't be the ground clearance. It is perfectly alright, but -

1) air pressure
      2) driving style (ie - how you approach, take that hump/pothole, and pass)
      3) Figo's suspension setup and dynamics - (ie how it (suspension) reacts to the situation (body dynamics) created due to point 2 above)

Other than this, long wheel base play some role to lower down the effective ground clearance when we face badly "erected" speed humps.

What your uncle said (point 5) is true to much of the extent.

I have driven Figo in really bad and broken roads (or even no-roads) and from experience I now don't complain (much) about Figo's ground clearance! Believe me!

About low/high air pressure - I am forceful on arguing that we must maintain optimum air pressure in tyres as per the situation (load and road), not too much high and not too low! I always maintain 30-32 for normal load condition, 34 for loaded and 36-40 for heavily loaded, i.e.- to its full passenger and luggage capacity.
      Last edited by Dev11; 28th Nov 2012 at 22:29.

ironically a remapped tdi is
      faster than the next segment
      tdi at lesser price.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
      What your uncle said (point 5) is true to much of the extent.
      so a maruti 800, ford figo, hyundai accent, mahindra thar, skoda superb, mercedes c class, all can can handle a given bad normal terrain in the SAME WAY? is that so? i mean if a good driver can drive Maruti 800 without scraping then he do the same with all the others? is it? well,, i really wish to do a practical test if you say yes.... how the hell can i get all these cars in line for my test?....

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

i mean if a good driver can drive Maruti 800 without scraping then he do the same with all the others? is it?
      In my opinion, answer is - "Yes, most of the time, for the vehicles in the same class"! But, would like to correct your statement and write in the following way -

"A good driver (of a car) can drive (that) a car without scrapping as a good driver (of another car) can drive his car without scrapping in the same situations."

By putting this way, I am emphasizing on the tuning/understanding of a car dynamics and drivabillity by its driver and adopting to it.

Pl, read my opinion/point of view with regard to the underbody scrapping and handling in such situations, based on my own experience of driving Figo only. Learned from mistakes!

Car's (read - suspension) behaviour is "quietly" explained in various aspects in the thread introducing post by camchennai, which may help you in understanding how Figo's suspension exhibits when there comes the situation, mostly when car is in straightline motion.

Figo's suspensions, in my belief, are tuned, to support its (intended) aerodynamic design (posture and behaviour on road), and its handling in straightline as well as in corners.

BTW, there is one more point to note while tackling the bad roads (read uneven and potholes filled broken roads) and that is -

"Where and how (at what speed and angle) you put your front wheels on such roads and how you carry further and get cleared your rear wheels too"!

If your car has been hit underbelly after passing over half of the car length and that too on exhaust pipe then you should have look at this ^.

yksharma, Evolution88, DevilsCry, etc have good experience in driving Figo and they will happily share their views in respect of handling of a Figo in such situations.

Mustang.101, blackhorn may explain better than us about suspensions, handling, aerodynamics, etc.

spam king
      past the speed of sound

Awesome

umm, frogive me for barging in with my opinion, but first of all, every vehicle has its limits, no vehicle is ideal, although engineers try to get the best out of the setup costs withstanding

having said that, there are always tradeoffs, something like, you have to trade off good ride for good handling on the highways, the figo is a highway horse, which means, it has low centre of gravity, meaning lower hieght at which it carries it passengers, which invariably means lower ground clearance, and in some cases lesser suspension travel too, which aids in better cohesiveness of the overall package, it possible that you pushed the vehicle beyond its limits, as you load the car with more people, you are already pushing the suspension to perform harder, which is possibly why you grounded the car, anybody will tell you a car with relatively good handling will not go over bad roads without considerable care, so be careful when drive on hillsides, sure the chassis may encourage you to go faster, but the suspension would be working at its limit, so slow down, understand the limits of your vehicle, and also anger doesn't solve anything, in fact you'll end up harming your vehicle even more, so simmer down, and try and understand what is happening
      Last edited by blackhorn; 29th Nov 2012 at 11:18.
      There is a Difference in Knowing the Path and Walking the Path-Anonymous Takla with Pincenez

Bicycle in Pune, Figo in Delhi

Awesome

today i had totally 4 on board. normally i think 31psi is best suited for highway
      31 psi sounds too low for me. Remember, it is better to have 2psi more than correct than to have 2psi less than correct pressure. Don't worry about affecting handling. Figo has got oozes of handling and with your 195 section of tyres, you're never going to run out of grip either. In fact, I drive with 36psi in front and 41psi in rear even for solo driver.

got stalled 2 times...a bit wheel spin
      This isn't good driving. You should take it easy. Drive relaxed, don't get tense and none of them would happen

Don't think like you should get embarrassed if you don't get a thing corrected within few weeks. There's no telling how soon can one get a practice corrected. For example, even after a year, I'm not able to get gearshifting in my Figo perfect. There's almost always jerking which isn't a pleasant experience for passengers.

Yes, most cars have more or less same ground clearance. Figo's scraping problem is not because of ground clearance but is because of long wheelbase. You should follow Dev11's advice "If your car has been hit underbelly after passing over half of the car length and that too on exhaust pipe then you should have look at this- Where and how (at what speed and angle) you put your front wheels on such roads and how you carry further and get cleared your rear wheels too".

spam king
      past the speed of sound

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
      most cars have more or less same ground clearance
      that statement is misleading, most cars do not have the same ground clearance, maybe in the same league, but some more some less, which makes a huge difference when going over bad roads

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
      Figo's scraping problem is not because of ground clearance but is because of long wheelbase
      again, the figo has well documented ground clearance issues especially with 4 people on board, long wheelbase resulting in grounding occur when going over huge speedbrakers or crookedly designed ones
      Last edited by blackhorn; 29th Nov 2012 at 11:49.
      There is a Difference in Knowing the Path and Walking the Path-Anonymous Takla with Pincenez

You call, I don't
      respond..NEUTRAL ! I call, you
      don't respond..YOU DIE !!

Awesome

H Rajesh Kumar : I have some of the worst possible roads near my house. And I have a Figo ! I have scraped the underbelly just once or twice...that too just a minor 'touch'. That's it ! On the other hand, I have also seen lot of people taking the very same road (whic has horrible potholes/undulations) so poorly that it won't matter which car they are driving - the under-belly WILL take a hit considering the way they drive. If roads are bad, you need to slow down, period ! How slow ? Well that will first come by showing some patience (not anger), understanding/accepting the fact that 'I need to do this slowly/carefully' and ofcourse with experience. Showing frustration and anger on the car or the road will only lead to more frustrations (read underbody taking a hit, tyres/suspension wearing out faster). So Relax and be patient - its your best move

Figos can rule the roads if you understand the positives/negatives of this car !

Note :- I'm no figo fanboy

<invisible>

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Babbanji Franklin View Post
      Figos can rule the roads if you understand the positives/negatives of this car !
      Above statement is true for any car. Isn't it ? May be some exceptions experts could point to, but that is why they probably remain as exception.

Sedate...

Awesome

camchennai yksharma @Evolution Dev11

driving a ford figo titanium Diesel.. stock car..michelin tires upgraded to 195 section with 31psi air... today i had totally 4 on board. normally i think 31psi is best suited for highway on this car and my seat,headlight and steering was also adjusted for highway..
      Stock tire size of Figo is 175/65 R14. You are having a 195/60 R14.
      Stock Sidewall height = 113.53mm
      Your Figo's Sidewall height = 116.84mm
      That means 3.31mm gained there.

But, you kept tire pressure as 31psi in all 4 tires which looks like very less for me. Ideally you should have had 34psi in all 4 tires. This is the case with stock 175/65 size.
      What do you mean by seat, headlight & steering adjusted for Highway? Can't you adjust it according to your wish at anytime? Seat height adjustment, headlamp leveler & tilt steering are there in your Figo.

my uncle guided me to an inside hilly road,though i didnt want to as i knew it would scrap the belly.. it did.. front bumper under side fully scraped.....i'm just so sad...a minor scratch on exhaust pipe too..the stones were too much...lost momentum...got stalled 2 times...a bit wheel spin and scraps..damn..
      Front bumper under side fully scraped - This happened cos of either of the below.
      1) You were at some speed(anything above 10Km/hr) & went into a ditch & came out where lot of undulations upfront awaited you.
      2) You maneuvered bad patches in a straight lane instead of zig-zag method/sideways.

Minor scratch on exhaust pipe - This happened cos of either of the below.
      1) You maneuvered bad patches in a straight lane instead of zig-zag method/sideways.
      2) Your left side tires & right side tires were not at the same level & drove straight.

i said this car's setting is for highway and you should not have guided me to this bad road at night..
      1) The car had very less tire pressure for 4 passengers.
      2) As it was night you couldn't judge the bad roads properly & failed to maneuver it.

For 1-3 people on board & some luggage in boot, go with 34psi in all 4 tires.
      For 4-5 people on board & some luggage in boot, go with 36psi in all 4 tires.
      For 4-5 people on board & boot full of luggage, go with 36psi in front & 41psi in rear to avoid underbody scraping.

Low Ground Clearance -
      GC of Figo is 168mm. The max. you can get in this segment is 171mm.
      Figo Wheelbase is 3mm more than the Ford Classic(Old Fiesta).
      Longer wheelbase, suspension, tire pressure, driving style & road condition adds to underbody scraping.
      H Rajesh Kumar, I have driven my Figo through very bad roads without scraping. Yes, Front mudflaps scrapes on unscientific speed breakers or bad roads sometimes.
      I have done some kind of off-roading with my Figo during the Godfather's Jeep restoration process. Nithin & Digital Vampire guided me through those fields.

Recent one being my visit to SPT Sports Cricket Ground last Sunday.
      Bangalore guys who have been to that place will know very well about that road(?).
      Am talking about the road(or is it? ) adjacent to Decathlon which takes to the SPT Sports Ground.
      Road had lot of stones, undulations, left & right side at two different heights, ditches, potholes etc.
      I was driving slowly & carfeuly in 1st Gear with 4 people on board & a big Cricket kit in the boot. Tire pressure kept at 34psi in all 4 tires that morning.
      Car didn't scrape. Not even the mudflaps.

I believe most of the times in such situations we can avoid underbody scraping if we have the patience & drive it in a way to avoid scraping.
      Last edited by Evolution88; 29th Nov 2012 at 12:15.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - CODE 6 Tuned - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      2012 Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Our Czech Princess :-)
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information