• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: To fix or not to fix, that is the question! (2000, Isuzu Rodeo Sports - Canada)

Awesome

To fix or not to fix, that is the question! (2000, Isuzu Rodeo Sports - Canada)

Rewind back to the summer of 2007.

I was a 17 Year old kid who had just moved to Canada for University.
      The whole move was at first scary, but I quickly got over it and started enjoying university life etc. I was very fascinated by all the muscle cars I would get to see and decided I absolutely HAD to have one.

Called my parents up and begged and pleaded with them for a week and finally my father agreed.

I had already spotted a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 Hemi in it. Asking Price was a mouth watering $10000. It was priced low because the interior was not in great shape , but quite acceptable and the owner did not have a parking spot for it and in the winters there is a $100 fine for parking on the street on snow days.

I put down a $500 deposit and we both went to the insurance company to get the insurance switched over and then transfer the car to my name. This is where it all started going downhill........

At the insurance company an agent met us and took us to his office and after a bit of talking he was like Im afraid we cant insure you on this car... I was like but why?

He said I was a 17 year old male, with no previous driving history a learners licence and no Job wanting to insure a modified muscle car, hence I was too high risk to insure, he said the only company that would insure me would be wawanessa as they also insure people who have had their licence taken away for drinking and driving or reckless driving etc, but it would be over $6000 per year! I was like no way.

Left the place with a heavy heart and the owner was a really nice chap, he said well, il tell you what, I shall let you keep the car for the weekend, as long as you promise to pay for any damage. I was like really?

Fast forward to fall of 2007 and it started becoming cold and I really needed a car, so i started looking around and found a used Isuzu Rodeo Sport for sale for $7500. I immediately fell in love with it and decided to buy it. The car was a 2000 but only had 20K Km on it, the owner told me that he only used it to tow his boat for fishing trips etc and had other cars for daily use.

I went back, got the car registered and insured etc etc.

I Joined the Local Volunteer Fire department and started modifying my car by first installing a CB and VHF/UHF radio in it.
      I then installed strobes and siren etc etc.....

In December my car was due for annual Inspection so i took it to a workshop to have it safety inspected. 15 mins later the tech came back and was like I have bad news for you, your car is going to fail inspection, so i was like well change whatever you need to... He was like its not that easy and took me to show me the car.

To my horror the entire rear end of the car was rusted. From the front bumper to the front door the frame rails were fine but behind the front door there was a lot of rust and behind the rear door the tech was being able to poke holes in the frame using a screwdriver and a hammer!!!!!!

I was totally bummed out and left the car there. Went online and looked at replacement options for the frame etc...

Finally ended up buying a new chassis from Isuzu and got it installed... Total cost..brrr over $7500 so more than what I had paid for the car to begin with....

After that It was more or less trouble free sailing, I say more or less because like the Tata Safari, this Isuzu too had some "Special Features". I had to put in 1L of oil every 2000Km... The rear tail gate mounted tire would start squeaking on offroad trails etc... But it was a reliable car none the less.
      I learnt to do a lot of work on the car myself as labor was $100 per hour, and I had more fun doing my own oil changes and servicing anyways.

Piece by piece i built her up and there are a few pictures of it in my garage on my profile.

I did several cross country trips in the car.

Longest one Acadia University to Edmonton, AB, Canada - Google Maps

That was completed in 5 days!!! 3 friends each taking turns driving. Since we were on a budget, we took the longer route and stayed at friends houses at nights.

Some of the other long trips I did were:

Acadia University to Boston, MA, USA - Google Maps

Acadia University to Quebec City, QC, Canada - Google Maps

Acadia University to Toronto, ON, Canada - Google Maps

I also did a lot more short trips.

Fast forward to June 2010 and due to medical reasons I had to leave my degree with only 1 year left and return to India for medical attention.
      At this point i had managed to clock 240K km in the Rodeo without any major hiccups except for the frame incident.

Left the car with my dad and he started using it.

Got a call from him a few hours ago saying that my car was in bad shape... I asked him what happened? He said he had taken it to an offroad event and things went slightly bad.. I was like

He told me that the exhaust is broken, the rear differential is leaking, a cv joint has snapped and the oil sump, radiator and ac condenser are also damaged. I asked him if he was ok he said yeah, the airbags deployed and he had his seat belt on so he got saved. I then asked him what happened? He said he was negotiating a sharp turn on an incline when a cv joint broke and he lost control and went down the incline, which caused all the underbelly damage..

Now after my huge rant comes my question... TO REPAIR OR NOT TO REPAIR?

As it stands the car needs these parts

1. Dana 44 rear differental
      2. The locker from the current diff to be moved to the new one
      3. Complete exhaust from the 1st Cat con onwards, this includes 2 mufflers and 1 cat con.
      4. both front CV joints ( one broke, I dont trust the other, it is quite old now)
      5. Front bumper repaint
      6. New Airbags ( thank god isuzu made these removable so the dash can stay the same)
      7. New Steering cover
      8. Oil pan
      9. Radiator
      10. Condenser
      11. skid plate
      12. And while we are at it, It should probably get a timing belt and water pump change done too because it was due at 100K km ( lol wayyyyyyyy overdue)

The car has currently clocked almost 390K km and if seen financially, It makes absolutely no sense to repair the car as it will easily be close to $8000 according to my guess. The current blue book value of the car is $3000.

Thing is though not all decisions can be financial, at least should not be for cars and for love. I have a big attachment to this car as i have spent so much time in it and saw so many places and covered so many miles in it......That being said $8000 is a lot of money to fix it up.

Also lol its petrol and only gives average of 6.....

What is your opinion, would you repair or would you let the car die an honorable death?

Ps: Sorry for the very long post, i kind of got emotional and carried away.

Mods: Please move to a different section if this is not the appropriate place for it.
      Last edited by RodeoSport; 4th Dec 2012 at 04:12.

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

RodeoSport, - thread moved to 4X4 Section.

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoSport View Post
      The car has currently clocked almost 390K km and if seen financially, It makes absolutely no sense to repair the car as it will easily be close to $8000 according to my guess. The current blue book value of the car is $3000.
      I can understand the love and bond with that car, but, I would suggest to scrap the car. Repairs will cost more than 250% of car value.
      Last edited by Ironhide; 4th Dec 2012 at 08:31.
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Secret

Blog Entries
      move on mate. this car will make you bleed.
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

O_o

Awesome

well.. for me it all comes down to how much you are attached to the vehicle.

my question is, will you be able to sell the vehicle in this condition?

4WD Armada Grand for sale!!
      Chk out classifieds

Awesome

3000$ for that vehicle!

no wonder insurance companies are bleeding to death in west!! out here its pure weight * 32Rs for scrap steel!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
      can understand the love and bond with that car, but, I would suggest to scrap the car. Repairs will cost more than 250% of car value.
      I know tha the cost s high, especially when I consider that withing the first few months of ownership I spent 100% of what I paid for the car to get it fixed up, but somehow Im not feeling like letting it go so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      well.. for me it all comes down to how much you are attached to the vehicle.

my question is, will you be able to sell the vehicle in this condition?
      I am quite attached to the vehicle and was eventually hoping on importing it to India and use it as my offroad rig. I know its LHD and LHD imports are no allowed etc, but I believe It is possible if i import it for use "on private property only" basically i will never be able to register it etc.

I can sell it in the current condition , but it will sell as scrap, so about $500.

Quote Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
      3000$ for that vehicle!

no wonder insurance companies are bleeding to death in west!! out here its pure weight * 32Rs for scrap steel!!
      I think you misunderstood me. Blue Book value means that is the value of the used car. It is a guide used by Insurance companies and used car dealers to put a value to a used car. So 1 day before the car got damaged, $3000 is what the insurance company would Insure it for or $3000 is what a used car dealer would give me.

The damage is not covered under insurance as they do not cover offroad shenanigans , but for example if it was covered, they still would not pay to have my car fixed, they would pay upto the blue book value of the car and expect me to either replace it or fix it by paying the difference myself.

As of now ive asked dad to keep the car in the workshop till my exams get over on friday and then I will think it through and make a final decision.

In the mean while this is what he found as a replacement for the Rodeo
      2009 Land Rover Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE - Nova Scotia Cars For Sale - Kijiji Nova Scotia Canada.

While it is DROOL material and I did get tempted for a short while, I kept thinking of the Rodeo.

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoSport View Post
      but I believe It is possible if i import it for use "on private property only" basically i will never be able to register it etc.
      Nope. not allowed. if this was the case i would have had a 69 camaro with me right now.

imports of LHD vehicles are allowed only for embassy vehicles or under carnet, where you should have a company in India as well as the place where the vehicle is being imported from and under carnet you can keep the vehicle here after depositing the complete value of the vehicle with customs (refundable once the vehicle goes back) and you can keep it here for no longer than 6 months.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      Nope. not allowed.
      That puts a huge dent in my plans

Awesome

Update:

Dad decided to get the car fixed as he was feeling very bad that he banged my car up. He is not sharing details regarding the cost with me.

Thread Information