• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PUC/Emission test problem

Ford Fiesta TDCI
      hi!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mari.parthi View Post
      Has anyone else faced similar situation?
      Mine is a different experience. Few years ago in Chennai, I was rejected PUC certificate for my kinetic honda and was advised to do oil service and come. I did the same and got the certificate.

Last month in Hyderabad (here you can see Omni vans standing on all cross roads to check and give PUC certificates), I went for my bike and told the guy that I would bring my another bike and my car. The guy there told me to just give the regn number and he can issue the certificate immediately. I asked him how to get the photograph of the number plate. He said he would give a valid certificate without the vehicle. Anyway I didnt go that route. But what I want to tell is that here in my place its not a big deal to get a puc certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokick View Post
      they tried multiple times by revving in various RPMs, but could not get the data.
      As far as my knowledge goes, PUC check happens only when the vehicle is in idle RPM, that is around 750 as shishirbn mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by mari.parthi View Post
      what I am not sure is that how come the new PUC testing is introduced without taking a note on how modern diesel cars are operated.
      I am yet to know of new way of (or method of) PUC testing.

Are we(government or people) really that serious or concerned not to damage the environment?

:)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by raj_hyd View Post
      As far as my knowledge goes, PUC check happens only when the vehicle is in idle RPM, that is around 750 as shishirbn mentioned.
      Not sure, I have gone to the PUC stations four times, twice with my car and twice with my Friend's Punto. All these checks they were revving the engine in different RPMs.

For petrol, I have not seen them revving the engine. Just start the engine, insert a rod into the exhaust pipe. That's it.

Ford Fiesta TDCI
      hi!

Awesome

All these checks they were revving the engine in different RPMs.
      I have done several times for my fiesta dsl from different stations, but never revved the engine. The check here (hyderabad) is done by inserting a rod in the exhaust only, same as what you mentioned for a petrol one. Maybe other Hyderabad friends may throw some light on this issue.

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

I was rejected PUC certificate for my kinetic honda and was advised to do oil service and come. I did the same and got the certificate.
      Something similar happened recently. The attendant on seeing my car's very dirty engine bay, stated the car has not been serviced in a long time and will not pass the PUC test.
      Omni vans standing on all cross roads
      My cabbie has told me bout similar facilities here, but haven't witnessed first hand. Certificate without the photo is news though.
      A lot of PUC centres issue cert's without actual checking to regular customers.

vehicle is in idle RPM
      Not idle. I think its at 1100. Random googling is throwing up varied results (750-800 for P, 1000 for D), and you might be correct. But in practice they raise rpm to around 1100 for testing.

All these checks they were revving the engine in different RPMs.
      Then they're incompetent and have no idea what rpm's actually are. They're just pressing the acc till they get the computer to accept.

I think, from all this regional data we can safely ascertain that there is no properly laid out guide-line for testing.
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Can anyone please tell me the permissible limits for emission test for petrol Cars? Last time I visited the PUC centre, person there was telling me that the CO2 value for my car is above the limit.

Regards,
      Mohit

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by amohit View Post
      person there was telling me that the CO2 value for my car is above the limit.
      Most of the centres have the limit chart posted/painted on their walls. If your car is properly maintained, he's just trying to con you, to make you slip in some extra 10-20 bucks.
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

has left gearheads

Secret

Every car in the world idles less than 1000rpm afaik(when the engine is warm) only cars which idle above 1000 are race cars, only time a car will idle higher than normal is when the air conditioning is turned on or when there is a cold start , this is such a stupid emission norm how can a vehicle idle at 1000rpm if it does its polluting more cause its burning more fuel.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

I need to take my car for inspection every 2 years. The emission level is the first thing they check on a hot engine. The car idles and he puts a probe into the exhaust pipe and gets a reading. He then proceeds to the rest of the car. All tis was done at a VW dealer. My car idles at 800 RPM on a 5 cylinder engine.

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

Here it takes 10 mins for the Emission test on a diesel engine. He first checks the Idling Rev (rpm) and max Rev (rpm) - for 6 times and then proceeds to the exhaust to evaluate the same. Everything is done automatically. The probe (vibration) placement in the engine bay is critical as it would not allow the test to proceed. I will try to scan the report and place it here everyone's benefit. The machine is connected to RTO server and you get a SMS about the validity.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

10 minutes was a very long time. It took only max 2 minutes with the engine at normal running temperature. This how they do it in the EU on both petrol and diesel engines always at idle speeds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information