• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fiat Uno Restore

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
      I still fail to understand why you need to change the engine unless you're looking for power.
      Hi Peter,

I am looking forward to change the petrol engine as I even tried with the FIAT people here in Hyderabad and they are hesitant to work on a UNO petrol engine and the local garages here are like you leave the vehicle with them as per your convenience and when you will get the vehicle back is as per their convenience. My UNO restoration was promised within 30 days but took 3 months with repeated daily pins and pokes to the mechanic. Here in Hyderabad I have noticed and observed that many FIAT are being run on customized engine other than their own stock engine. Therefore consulting with a few FIAT owners, I am also thinking to swap the engine of my car. Although I have been running this petrol engine and also can continue it further but the recognized/authorized workshop technicians hesitate and the locals delay and insist the transplant as they are comfortable with the transplanted diesel engines. Here in Hyderabad, I have seen that out of 100 cars on the road, 85-90% is diesel variants (all other Brands and models) and left over 10-15% are petrol variants (Maruti Altos and 800s). Therefore the mechanics here are more familiar and comfortable to work on a diesel engine for which I feel that I may need a transplant.

Regards,
      Last edited by MSGirish1979; 19th Jun 2013 at 08:00.
      M.S.Girish - 08142-565-355

A modern car is like a medicine that's thrown away when it expires, A classic car is like Cognac, the more it ages, more good it gets!

On board BW KESTREL

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MSGirish1979 View Post
      I am looking forward to change the petrol engine as I even tried with the FIAT people here in Hyderabad and they are hesitant to work on a UNO petrol engine and the local garages here are like you leave the vehicle with them as per your convenience and when you will get the vehicle back is as per their convenience.
      What exactly is wrong with the engine?

My UNO restoration was promised within 30 days but took 3 months with repeated daily pins and pokes to the mechanic.
      My restoration has been going on for longer than that.

Here in Hyderabad I have noticed and observed that many FIAT are being run on customized engine other than their own stock engine.
      My engine has done 2L kms and requires no work. How come these engines are finished. Maybe mechanics are taking people for a ride in hyderabad.

Therefore consulting with a few FIAT owners, I am also thinking to swap the engine of my car. Although I have been running this petrol engine and also can continue it further but the recognized/authorized workshop technicians hesitate and the locals delay and insist the transplant as they are comfortable with the transplanted diesel engines. Here in Hyderabad, I have seen that out of 100 cars on the road, 85-90% is diesel variants (all other Brands and models) and left over 10-15% are petrol variants (Maruti Altos and 800s). Therefore the mechanics here are more familiar and comfortable to work on a diesel engine for which I feel that I may need a transplant.
      I would still say it is cheaper to repair the engine. Check with another mechanic. In all probability your engine just needs an oil and filter change.
      The only people who have a problem with FIAT are those who have never owned one!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

What exactly is wrong with the engine?
      1. All of a sudden, the vehicle has started emitting white smoke and that too so thick that it looks like the Municipal Corp Mosquito Killing van has just went through lane.

2. My observation and the local garage mechanic's version says that one of the four cylinders have failed to perform. The mechanic for this says that there is some compression back fire inside the engine due to which one cylinder has failed and slowly it will damage all the four cylinders for which the engine has to be overhauled and redone which is estimating close to Rs. 40K for which I am being offered with an ISUZU diesel engine which is costing me the same Rs. 40K cost.

Please suggest if the version narrated by the mechanic is valid? And if Yes then I would like to know about the estimated cost of the entire process to get the existing engine redone.

My restoration has been going on for longer than that.
      You might have gone through complete part to part restoration. I have done only a overall restoration which includes:

1. Exterior on the wheels paint work and denting.
      2. Drive shaft replacement.
      3. AC fan unit replacement.

Pending Jobs yet to be done:

1. Interior Seat Covers
      2. Cabin Lighting and Wiring Work for stereo system (Including installation of a 2 channel amp.
      3. carpet work.
      4. Now this new pop-up engine work.

Please help me out to get these all done in order one-by-one. Inputs and suggestions for refinement of the tasks are welcome.

Regards,
      M.S.Girish - 08142-565-355

A modern car is like a medicine that's thrown away when it expires, A classic car is like Cognac, the more it ages, more good it gets!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information