• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Help Needed-Fuel Tank Leak in Bajaj Pulsar

The Seeker

Awesome

Help Needed-Fuel Tank Leak in Bajaj Pulsar

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi (UG1 i guess) with spoked 18 inch rims and fairing in headlamp. Yesterday, I washed my bike using pressure washer. After that i noticed that petrol was leaking through a hole on bottom Right side of petrol tank. So removed all petrol from tank and closed the hole with Bar Soap as temporary solution. Today, cleaned the hole and applied M-seal. Once the M-seal dried out, poured petrol back in the tank. But petrol started dripping from some other place near the bottom joint. I am not able to locate the source of leak, but petrol is dripping near the bottom. When I enquired with the local mechanic, he suggested to take out the tank, empty the fuel and do soldering at some place where they fix radiator leaks. IS this advicable? Whan I checked with Bajaj ASS, they quoted nearly Rs 5000/- for a new tank with painting done to match colour. Which option should i go for ? Please advice.

"Cogito Ergo Sum"

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sadhu View Post
      Hi All,

I have a 2005 Bajaj Pulsar 150 DTSi (UG1 i guess) with spoked 18 inch rims and fairing in headlamp. Yesterday, I washed my bike using pressure washer. After that i noticed that petrol was leaking through a hole on bottom Right side of petrol tank. So removed all petrol from tank and closed the hole with Bar Soap as temporary solution. Today, cleaned the hole and applied M-seal. Once the M-seal dried out, poured petrol back in the tank. But petrol started dripping from some other place near the bottom joint. I am not able to locate the source of leak, but petrol is dripping near the bottom. When I enquired with the local mechanic, he suggested to take out the tank, empty the fuel and do soldering at some place where they fix radiator leaks. IS this advicable? Whan I checked with Bajaj ASS, they quoted nearly Rs 5000/- for a new tank with painting done to match colour. Which option should i go for ? Please advice.

First of all welcome to GHD's

Well the answer would depend on how much are you willing to spend?

Options are getting the tank welded, buying a good second hand tank or buying a new tank

Notice if the leak is caused by rusting, if so I would advise you to change the tank. If not rusting a good welding job can save you some bucks

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Soldering can be done. Get the tank soldered near the joint. I mean the whole line itself. Like re-stitching.

If you are not ok with that then seee if you can get a second hand Pulsar tank. This would be available in any shop near the 2nd hand market.

If that also is not good then no other choice but to go for the new one from A.S.S
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

The Seeker

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
      First of all welcome to GHD's

Well the answer would depend on how much are you willing to spend?

Options are getting the tank welded, buying a good second hand tank or buying a new tank

Notice if the leak is caused by rusting, if so I would advise you to change the tank. If not rusting a good welding job can save you some bucks
      Thank you for welcoming me to GH .
      Regarding the hole, it is caused by rust only. The bike was lying unused for almost a year. That is why I had plans of replacing the tank at ASS. Also I am not familiar with the second hand market in Cochin. Shifted to Cochin last month only.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      Soldering can be done. Get the tank soldered near the joint. I mean the whole line itself. Like re-stitching.
      If you decide to go in this direction, please soak the tank with water and detergent (changing multiple times) for 24-48 hrs to avoid ANY trace of petrol in the tank. I've personally witnessed one jackass mechanic trying to weld a petrol tank and he almost lost his hand after the tank exploded.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Global Moderator

Awesome

it is caused by rust onl
      If it is because of rust then along with Roadking even I would suggest you to look for a second hand tank or a new tank altogether.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

The Seeker

Awesome

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Replaced the tank from Popular Bajaj, Kakkanad in Cochin. The cost Break up was: Tank - Rs 3038.50 , Decals - Rs 199.50, Painting - 1730.50. Took them 5 working days to complete. They are not providing warranty for the tank either. Will never recomment this place to anyone. very unprofessional appraoch to service and customers compared to Service centres in Chennai, Trivandrum and Kottayam. The only saving grace was workshop supervisor 'Mithun' who was knowledgabe and his approach was decent.

Global Moderator

Awesome

Replaced the tank
      Since it is a new tank you need not worry about the warranty. I hope the new tank is intact. If Yes then you need not worry for another 2-3 years depening on the weather condition it will be used. If coastal region then if you have think of replacement again after 2-3 years. this is just my guess.

:)

Awesome

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Replaced the tank from Popular Bajaj, Kakkanad in Cochin. The cost Break up was: Tank - Rs 3038.50 , Decals - Rs 199.50, Painting - 1730.50. Took them 5 working days to complete. They are not providing warranty for the tank either. Will never recomment this place to anyone. very unprofessional appraoch to service and customers compared to Service centres in Chennai, Trivandrum and Kottayam. The only saving grace was workshop supervisor 'Mithun' who was knowledgabe and his approach was decent.
      Thank you for this information. The petrol tank in my Pulsar has also started leaking. So far, the local mechanic is not doing a good job welding/soldering it. I am planning to replace the tank with a new one. BTW, I am from TVM

Thread Information