• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing your car - Two bucket, Rinseless or Waterless?

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

Washing your car - Two bucket, Rinseless or Waterless?

Well not able to manage to move Guru's original post here to the top so am quoting his post here since the idea for starting this thread was his hope thats okau

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
      There may be some random posts on this topic in the detailing threads, but I felt that a dedicated thread is necessary, since this is the single most routine activity we will be performing on our cars - besides driving them of course.

I request fordfan, kmoh, baranjil, Supernaut & others to explain the differences in these three methods & what to use when.

For myself, I use the two bucket method regularly with plain tap water. For the amount of dust my car collects, this is sufficient - except in monsoons. That time I would need a good shampoo once in a while.

I have never tried rinseless wash so far, and waterless wash only once. I have a review on the Instafinish WW in the reviews thread. here's the link -

GearHeads India
      -----

MutantX thanks...do you really need to wash the car daily? Once a week is fine even for a car parked by roadside, unless it's rained previously. Swirls will be created, impossible to stop but can be reduced greatly with a good wash technique

Anyway here's the technique for a good wash -

Wash Equipment

1. Spray Bottle x 01
      2. Buckets x 02
      3. Wash mitt x 01
      4. Yellow MF towel x 01 (or any similar 250-300 gsm weight MF towel will do)
      5. Waffle weave x 01 (or any similar high absorbent towel, suggest getting a waffle weave towel even though its expensive, will last a couple of years or more)
      6. Good quality Shampoo or Rinseless wash (Megs/ONR or anything similar).

Getting Ready

1. Bucket One - prepare the shampoo mixture with water as per bottle instructions and keep it ready.
      2. Bucket Two - fill with water. You will have to fill this twice, once for rinsing after the pre-wash and second time around half full for rinsing the wash mitt. If you have a hose for rinsing, then you will have to fill it only once.
      3. Spray bottle - Pour half an ounce or so of shampoo the bottle, shake well and keep ready.
      4. Drop the wash mitt in the shampoo bucket and let it soak.
      5. Wet well the MF towel in the second bucket of water, wring it out and keep aside it for later

Shampoo Wash Process

Pre-wash

1. Grab the bottle and spray the car lightly all over with shampoo solution ensuring full coverage and leave for a couple of minutes. (This is a key step to lubricate the dirt on the surface and loosen it up. 3M car shops use a snowfoam / citrus pre wash for this step and yes you are doing the same without the cost of a snow foam bottle).

Washing

2. Dip the wash mitt well in the Bucket One, take it out and lightly squeeze out excess shampoo and gently, very gently wipe half the panel. No rush, go slow and easy with light touches. (Say you are doing the roof, then rest the hand with the wash mitt and solution, gently and wipe from one end to the other. No force, no scrubbing, just a gentle touch.

Thumb rule 01 - when doing any horizontal surface like roof/bonnet/boot, wipe from back to front e.g. on the bonnet, the wiping would be from windscreen end to start of the plastic bumper, on the roof the wiping would be from back glass to front glass.

Thumb rule 02 - when doing any vertical surface like side panels, wipe from top to bottom

3. Once you have done half the roof, rinse the wash mitt well in Bucket Two.

4. Repeat step no. 2 and 3 till the whole car is done, take off the wash mitt.

Rinsing

5. If you have a hose pipe, then use it to rinse the whole car gently. Otherwise empty the buckets, wash and fill with water and drag it back to the car.

Drying

6. Grab the wet MF towel from before and fold it in half and then fold the half in half again i.e. you have a quarter section of the towel ready now.

7. Start drying from the panel you washed first and put the towel on it.

8. Grab the long edge and not one corner, with your hand and gently drag the towel from one end to the other. Try figuring out how to hold the towel lighly on vertical surface and do whats best for your.

9. You are going to use only the weight of the wet towel for drying first pass. No rubbing the surface with the towel...let the towel do the work

10. Keep the wet towel aside and grab the waffle weave / drying towel.

11. Fold it in quarters and lightly wipe the section you had just finished with the wet towel for the second pass. By end of the second pass, it will be 90% dry and the atmosphere will do the rest.

12. Repeat step 6 to 11 till whole car is dry.

---------------
      Tips:

1. If you are clumsy like me, it will take a little time to figure out how best to hold the towels for drying passes.

2. And yeah, i used to drop the drying pass towels initially cause i was holding them toooo lightly so best to have a few additional towels handy just in case.

3. The key steps are the prewash and the wet towel for drying first pass....

4. If you are using a rinseless wash like ONR then only below things change and rest remain the same as above -

-> you fill Bucket One with ONR as per ratio on bottle

-> you fill pre-wash spray bottle with 0.5 ounce ONR

-> No rinsing required after washing

-> First pass drying towel you wet in ONR solution in Bucket One rather than plain water. why because a shampoo leaves soapy residue which can dry an stain unlike ONR

5. Time taken for all of the activities above, for me, is 60 mins from start to finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Q. Once you have cleaned car properly and you are obsessed enough to want to clean it daily, what then?
      A. Use a waterless wash and lots of MF towels (will need around 6-8 towels for a hatch).

See, basically there are three types of washes - wet washes, rinseless washes and waterless washes. Waterless washes are designed to be sprayed on like a QD but have higher lubricity, cleaning power and they are tailored to be lightly wiped off with a towel. And yes any rinseless wash can be prepared as a waterless wash, only thing which changes is a higher concentration for the latter and this is something the companies dont mention on the bottle.

Key to Waterless Wash

1. pre spray both sides of the towel (6-8 sprays per side) and fold it in quarter

2. Hold the towel by longer edge with your fingers and wipe gently

3. Flip the towel and wipe lightly with the other side.

4. The folded quartered towel has two sides and best to use each side only once. Once both sides have been used, refold to reveal clean sides and proceed. Set towel aside once all sides have been used up.

5. Buy good quality plush MF towels (around 500 gsm weight) for best results

In waterless wash, the key is lubricity and cleaning power rather than gloss...and these are meant for lightly dirty car i.e. if you are cleaning the car daily or every two days...not for a car after a very long drive

If you want to do it, without importing, as of now you have two choices -

1. ONR at QD mix ( 0.5oz per 500 ml water in most cases 1oz per 500 ml for hard water areas ) will work fine as waterless wash specially the ONRv3 which ECC is selling as OPT has improved the lubricity and cleaning and can be comfortably used as a waterless wash

2. Optimum Opti Clean which is a dedicated waterless wash product which has more concentrated cleaning power and lubricity for tackling

The waterless wash technique is very, very important...the links below are excellent for learning the waterless wash technique have a look

No Rinse Wash Video (any no rinse product can be used instead of ONR)

Waterless Wash Video
      (any waterless wash product can be used instead of ones shown)

In the above video would suggest separate towels for cleaning wheels...using the body towels on alloys is not a good idea!

Remember every time you touch the car, chances of introducing swirls increase so best to wash once a week or twice a week.
      Last edited by fordfan; 1st Mar 2013 at 17:03. Reason: Updated Waterless Wash Technique

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sridhar k View Post
      For waterless wash, I have used ONR/very diluted amway solution instead of using many mfs, I keep a bucket of of water with a grit gaurd and keep rinsing the mf after every panel.
      See, three points which i follow but forgot to add in the Wash Method, as you suggested -

1. After the shampoo pre-wash, it's good to give the car a quick rinse, either with a hose or with a bucket and mug, gently letting the water flow over the surfaces.

2. If using ONR pre-wash, rinsing is not required, just spray the pre-wash and then go ahead with the wash mitt.

3. And when using ONR, after using the wet, or more accurately damp towel, its good practice to rinse it out in Bucket Two, wring it and then dip in the ONR bucket again and proceed.

And ever wondered why the swirls are circular in shape? Horizontal and vertical motions will lessen the process of adding more swirls rather than circular motions of wiping.

And in a waterless wash, the moment you introduce water, it becomes a rinseless wash. A waterless wash is to be used for a clean car, maybe daily, and good for a quick clean.

Shampoos by nature are supposed to be washed away as they leave residue behind...but i guess if you dilute it heavily enough, it will leave very little behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
      sridhar k - getting ONR is becoming a problem. An alternative is megs final inspection which is around 2400 rs for 3.75L container. I already have roadracer who is willing to buy and split it. Will post a review on the same so that we can buy more based on how good it is when compared to megs quick detailer.
      Uhmm...Megs#34 Final Inspection is not exactly an ONR alternative but can be a great QD alternative. And buying in gallon sizes is always better because it works out cheap.

If you look at the details of Final Inspection, it says "Body Shop Safe" which is great! It basically means, if you have repainted your car, no need to wait 30 days or more before putting something on it when using products labelled "Body Shop Safe" and this is one of them.

So this is definitely a great buy!
      Last edited by fordfan; 1st Mar 2013 at 08:48.

Awesome

How to Hold a Towel while Wiping

Here's a few quick pics to show towel holding.

The two photos below show how it is placed between the fingers -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-29 08.53.30.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	95482

Name:	2012-07-29 08.52.58.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	95485

The next shows how to lightly hold the towel on a vertical panel while wiping -

Name:	2012-07-29 08.53.49.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	95483

The last two pics shows how to lightly hold a towel on a horizontal panel while wiping -

Name:	2012-07-29 09.07.50.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	547.6 KB 
ID:	95481

Name:	2012-07-29 09.08.13.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	95484
      Last edited by fordfan; 29th Jul 2012 at 13:43.

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Washing your car - Two bucket, Rinseless or Waterless?

There may be some random posts on this topic in the detailing threads, but I felt that a dedicated thread is necessary, since this is the single most routine activity we will be performing on our cars - besides driving them of course.

I request fordfan, kmoh, baranjil, Supernaut & others to explain the differences in these three methods & what to use when.

For myself, I use the two bucket method regularly with plain tap water. For the amount of dust my car collects, this is sufficient - except in monsoons. That time I would need a good shampoo once in a while.

I have never tried rinseless wash so far, and waterless wash only once. I have a review on the Instafinish WW in the reviews thread. here's the link -

http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?1...l=1#post319293

Awesome

Well the above posts were there in the second and third page here Detailing like a Pro - Maximum Shine with Minimum Effort

moving them here

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Thanks fordy.

I just couldn't remember where I had seen that video. Now this brings me to first question -

From the first post, it seems that the technique / method for rinseless & waterless wash is exactly the same. Am I right or wrong? Also, what are the key differences between them in addition to the washing liquid used?

Awesome

From the first post, it seems that the technique / method for rinseless & waterless wash is exactly the same. Am I right or wrong? Also, what are the key differences between them in addition to the washing liquid used?
      Difference between waterless wash and rinse less wash

• Level of soiling - Main big difference is in the level of soiling - for light soiling, waterless wash is great, for medium to heavy soil, rinseless wash is better and for really dirty cars, shampoo method
      • Concentration - Waterless Washes generally use a stronger concentration to give a more lubricated solution compared to a rinse less wash thus preventing scratching or swirling the paint
      • Wash media - More number of towels are used for waterless wash compared to a rinse less wash

to be honest not much of differences, very similar...major difference is in the concentration and the degree of dirt on the car where WW/RW is used...so you are correct

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Started doing some research & came across this video -

Looks like different technique. Rinseless wash is almost similar to two bucket wash, whereas WW is with a spray bottle.

Awesome

Looks like different technique. Rinseless wash is almost similar to two bucket wash, whereas WW is with a spray bottle.
      yup mentioned that in the first post...you can use a one bucket for a rinseless wash or two buckets also
      Last edited by fordfan; 1st Mar 2013 at 09:31.

Visit
      www.ultimatedetailerz.com

Awesome

Well all has been answered, this is really a tricky question but if you see manufacturers too sell Water less wash ready to use but no Rinseless wash as its expected to use RW in a 2 bucket set up. I never use RW and only WW as i find it easy and handy. Put concentration in a 500 ml bottle and spray and wipe. Usually RW has lower concentration as the amount of water used is more. Regular usage WW works.
      Why would RW need less towels? I would think that will need more! I use a single towel for WW folded 8 sections, RW needs a min of 2!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information