• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to make a sensible decision!

What next?

Hungry

Trying to make a sensible decision!

Gentlemen (and Ladies, so I am politically correct ),

It's that time again! I have just sold off my 2007 Accord and am in need of a daily driver. What I thought would be a good opportunity has now left me in a nightmare situation. Why? these are my requirements....

1. I need a Diesel or at the least, a fuel efficient Petrol! (You'd know the pain when you get your ass whipped by a diesel car after paying for the fuel through your nose)

2. It has to be comfortable so my wife and two sons (almost 3 Years old) and all their associated luggage can be hauled easily when we go on a trip. Not necessarily a D-segment Car, but even a spacious hatch will do.

3. The car will have to be low on maintenance, better A.S.S is a must. I have been pampered by Sundaram Honda all the while for my cars, so I have certain expectations out of the Service network/Dealer

4. I have set myself a budget of 12L max for a new car and 7-8L if it is a used car. I am open to both options, provided I get a very low mileage and well maintained used car. Preference would be to spend as low as possible.... for once, I am trying to do something sensible. And No, I am not worried about the snob value

5. Am not a big fan of SUVs but I would not mind trying one this time.... the budget is a hindrance though?

6. MUVs (Innova, XYLO, etc) are a definite NO NO!

7. It has to be absolutely reliable (there goes the fancy plans of an E36 BMW, etc) and NOT more than 5 years old

8. NO FIAT!

9. Should have easy mod potential (Tuning box, re-map, etc if it is Diesel and FFE, bolt-ons if Petrol)

10. Should be a good handler (or at least have potential for suspension mods to make it a good handler)

My usage is going to be 85% in-city and 15% highway driving. I'd very much like it to be a good looking car (out goes Verna, etc, no offence to existing Verna owners).

Please pour in your suggestions and get me more confused! I will try to express my opinions about each car as suggestions come in. It will also help me greatly if you can post approx prices (eg. I know of a sparingly used Sonata Transform for XXL, etc) and any references.

Thanks in advance guys!

What next?

Hungry

Oh, I already have an Elantra in the family and a Ford Figo arriving tomorrow (the Figo will be my drive till I identify one for me). So will try to avoid these if possible......

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

Scorpio 2.2 Mhawk.
      now has handling options and tuning box/remaps for power.
      You already have an elantra. and you dont want an i20CRDi or the innova. there is nothing else on the market that is worth buying now.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Chevy Cruze is what I would have picked up. Nothing else feels like a sensible "upgrade" from the Accord. The cruze is certainly fast, even in stock form, which of course is the single most important criteria for me.

Might not be the best handler in the world, but then I believe in picking up cars which are fast to start with, and then make minor upgrades to the suspension, if required. Or better still, once you get used to the quirks of the car, you will be able to drive it fast anyway.

I have experienced the GM showroom in Cochin, and they were pretty good. Not sure how these guys are in Coimbatore. One thing I have heard is, the GM showrooms are not uniformly good, or bad.

Or, if you can up your budget, Skoda India has some mighty good cars these days. Of course, service is an issue, but I have a feeling you wont have too much trouble with these guys...
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post25585.html#p25585
      quicksilver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:34 pm[/url]]

8. NO FIAT!
      I would suggest a Linea M-Jet.

What's wrong with Fiat?

What next?

Hungry

FIAT? Well, brand bashing apart, I don't like TATA A.S.S..... have had enough issues with them servicing my Indica, I don't even want to imagine what issues I would have to face with a FIAT!

Sajan, what about the turbo lag on the Cruze? I had the Optra Magnum for a while (about 2 months, approx) and the lag was a ***** on City traffic. I found myself constantly revving it up to keep it in the power band, which of course is not very good from the Engine life (may be not?) and FE point of view. Cruze is said to be worse? The interiors are also up to the level for a D-segment car. Also, I do not have to 'Upgrade', do I ?

Louis, I used to hate the Scorpios earlier (have no real reason, apart from the fact that they were bouncy). No I think I have to be fair and give it proper consideration. I have experienced the CRDe engine in the 2.2 version (non-mHawk) and it was very good. Will check this out. And why not the i20 with 6 gears?

I might have issues with GM service and their indifference..... faced this with the Optra and I guess it is going to be the same here for the Cruze. Skoda service is slightly better but they are crooks, there are no two ways about it. I don't want to have the Skoda dealership MD putting word every time I take my car in for service. Why can't it be a simple affair, like drop my car in for service, know that they will not do anything funny, take it back after a day? sigh! This is where I miss Honda...... servicing was a breeze and so much enjoyable, indeed. I used to look forward to my visits to TVS (Sundaram Honda).

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post25599.html#p25599
      quicksilver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:43 pm[/url]]
      indeed. I used to look forward to my visits to TVS (Sundaram Honda).

And so did they! They had their paint wholesaler on standby for the event!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

New cars..
      Reliable and lot of mod options availble - Honda Civic
      Good power and FE - Chevy Cruze
      A lil more upmarket and snob value - Skoda Laura

Used cars..
      Power, more power and even more mod options - Skoda Octavia vRS
      Very good comfort, FE, power, snob value - Skoda Superb V6 (will have to increase the budget you set for used cars tho')

I know you had ruled out SUV's, but why not consider the Honda CR-V?? Its almost as plush as the Accord you had, its very upmarket, rides well and i recommend it cuz its more like a car than an SUV.

About the ASS thing, i don't think the dealerships can take you for a ride if you keep a good watch on whats happening with your car, as well as being around when you get the car serviced. Also helps if you're in good terms with the service engineer. Most people who get taken for a ride are those who dunno damn about cars, so its nothing for people like us to worry too much about IMO.

BTW, the Skoda dealers in HYD and BLR (TA) have an option where you can book a slot for regular service of the car and they'll get in done in about 3-4hrs. Which is pretty good if you ask me. Came to know about this when i dropped my car for a check up a few weeks back.
      02' Honda City VTEC
      04' Skoda Octavia vRS
      08' Honda Accord 2.4L
      08' Volkswagen Passat
      10' BMW 320d

:D

Awesome

why not get a good used example of hyundai tuscon

IMHO its a good SUV well composed and all that. no one who has got it new or used complain about it.

and servicing it and maintaining it should be a bit more than elantra. thats all.

now if you have 8-10 to spare for a used example...i can make some calls and ask to look for a good used example of a Hyundai sonata CRDi. its a stonker with 6 gears!!

space , ride comfort [ handling aint like the elantra by any chance. but its like sitting in a sofa at the back ]

and yes compared to the accord it will still be cheap to maintain. and as far as i know. hyundai A.S.S and customer treatment is as good as honda if not better

anyways good luck with your car hunt

What next?

Hungry

Karthik, I am not keen on a CRV, do not want another fuel guzzler. It's not like these cars are scorching fast for the FE they give anyway. The Civic is a different issue. I am closely watching Arun's (ImmortalZ) Civic mods when he gets to that. Rear suspension was the Civic's Achilles heel.... quiet literally!

A Superb V6 diesel is not a bad option. I will not mind upping the budget if I can find a clean one. Finding a low mileage car will be very hard, I guess.

What you say about Service centers is one part, but basically, you can only motivate a Service advisor if he gives a damn. I have seen guys at some of the dealers here, they have no clue and they have no interest either. It is so obvious and frustrating, you just do not want them to touch the car.

Sujit, yea buddy, that's true too!

Techie (Sameel, right?) I will be very interested in a Tucson. Only if I can find a good one! I don't mind getting one from out of state either. I do not mind paying the state tax bit if the car is in good shape. A Transform diesel, well..... I would prefer if it was a TN registered car. I have heard good things about Hyundai Service, lets see when the Elantra goes in.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information