• Secret
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clay Bars and Other Clay Bar Alternatives

Visit
      www.ultimatedetailerz.com

Awesome

Clay Bars and Other Clay Bar Alternatives

Hi Folks
      Choosing the RIGHT Clay bar is always an important decision as clearing up the paint of bonded contaminants is essential for your other steps to succeed as you get to give your car the TLC it needs

Choosing the right clay

To choose the right one needs certain parameters

1. Aggressive or mild: Depends on the job you will be putting it to. Mild, Medium and Aggressive are the grades of the clays in the market and usually for FIRST time applications a medium to aggressive is what we want and for repeat work mild is suited. However based on my experience, RARELY a mild clay is needed in indian conditions

2. What lube to use: Most manufacturers sell dedicated lubes to go with the clay, its meant like that but we can always use substitutes to act as lubes so most of the clays work well with any lube.

3. Price: Kitne ka hai! Most important question. However one should also note how many usages it will give! Usually a clay bar lasts long if taken good care of( storage etc)

4. Ease of Use: A clay bar needs to be kneaded and that is what becomes a key in its ease of use

5. Potency: Either medium or Aggressive, it should be useful for clearing up the following
      • Tar ( though we have dedicated tar removers)
      • Heavy Grime ( bug remains, brake dust
      • Over Spray
      • Paint spots (unless not baked on to the paint)
      • Anything else that bonds!

6. Availability: Finally one should be able to get it when one wants! When the detailing bug hits, the first thing we want is a good clay/paint cleaning system

Clay Bar Alternates

There are alternates like NanoSkin, Optimum Clay blocks, Elastrofoam which i have not used and researched and would like anyone who has used to share their experience please

Reviews

Now for a few reviews (the prices mentioned here are what i had to pay to get for myself)

1. Jopasu Clay:

Aggressive Clay
      Do not recall the price or size as its best forgotten. Worked well on tough areas but it became brittle and disintegrated in a few usages( 7-8). Not worth the money

2. Megs Normal Clay -

Medium Clay- white color
      Useless clay for hard jobs, just good enough for basic work. Pathetic on overspray and tar
      Lube: Used diluted ONR
      Availability: Can be bought locally as like other megs products

3. Megs Aggressive Clay -

Aggressive Clay as the name suggests
      Good clay for most jobs but fails on paint oversrpray, tar and heavier jobs. Takes a lot of effort when comes across brake dust etc around wheel arches also. Overall decent but not that great for the money you pay. I had an i-10 with huge paint overspray once and i struggled for 1.5 hours with this clay as did not have anything better!
      Lube: Used diluted ONR
      Availability: Can be bought locally as like other megs products

4. XMT Speed Clay - Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay, detailing clay bar, paint cleaning clay

Medium Clay
      This is a marvelous clay. Easy to use, kneads very easily, and runs for many many times. I have used this for good effect for over 25 cars. One bar can be cut in half and used as 2 bars and the ease of use is superb. It works out very economical indeed at R 1200 for 226 gms!
      Cons: Only issue is that it tends to stick to your hand at times so have to use enough lube as its soft. Its meant only for medium usage and fails for harder stuff like paint over spray.
      Availability: Tough to get as not sold locally

5. Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today. Use auto Detailing clay to deep clean car paint, glass and chrome.

Mild Clay
      This is excellent for the follow up jobs where the surface needs a mild clay that will not scar the surface much hence does not need a machine polish post its usage. Very easy to use indeed and kneads easily as its soft.
      Cons:Its meant for very light work so rarely will be needed in our conditions. Price is stiff at $35 for about 226 gms!
      Availability: Not sold here
      I have some lying with me if anyone wants to test!

6. DP Clay - DP Universal Detailing Clay lets you clay your way to a silky smooth finish with a bright glossy shimmer!

I have used the earlier version when DP had old logo. Not sure if the product quality has changed though but this clay was pathetic. Hard to knead ( like a rock) and does very little
      Great for claying wheels and running board where you need a clay that you can throw fast

7. Bilt Hamber Medium - Clay Bar | Order an Auto-Clay Bar (Medium) For Corrosion Protection

Medium to Aggressive
      Lube: Use WATER!
      This clay is a champion. I have tested against megs aggressive and beats that hands down on clearing up tar, over spray and paint drips.
      Cons: Its a tad hard to knead but the ease of clearing up tough contaminants outweighs the kneading effort.
      Best part- NO LUBE NEEDED as can use water.
      Price: At 1400 per 200 gm its exciting( my price, lower if bought in the UK)
      Wish had tried this earlier

8. Dodo Juice Supernatural Medium Clay Bar- Dodo Juice Supernatural Detailing Clay | Smooth as Glass Paintwork

Medium Clay
      Price: like most dodo products looks a little higher but for 750R for 80 gms is ok.
      Need thedrive to post a review as have not used it but have had good reviews online

Please feel free to add to the list and post your feedback, these are just MY observations on practical experience. I have not used the Clay Bar Alternates and would like to know the differences

Imp Note: How to use a clay bar ( source AG website) - Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar
      Last edited by fordfan; 19th Mar 2013 at 12:43. Reason: changes as suggested by OP

Punjabi By Nature !

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kmoh View Post
      Bilt Hamber Medium - Clay Bar | Order an Auto-Clay Bar (Medium) For Corrosion Protection

Medium to Aggressive
      Lube: Use WATER!
      This clay is a champion. I have tested against megs aggressive and beats that hands down on clearing up tar, over spray and paint drips.
      Cons: Its a tad hard to knead but the ease of clearing up tough contaminants outweighs the kneading effort.
      Best part- NO LUBE NEEDED as can use water.
      Even I Have Heard A Lot About This Clay , Looking Forward To Use As Its Coming In My Next Shipment !

OCD

Awesome

Please include the new foam blocks that are fast replacing clay, OPT Eraser for example.
      Drive it like you stole it and Detail it like you own it.

Getz CRDI - Esteem

Awesome

Hi what can be used as a lube for clay bar any suggestions that are easily available

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Samir A. Ahluwalia View Post
      Hi what can be used as a lube for clay bar any suggestions that are easily available
      meguiars quick detailer

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Samir A. Ahluwalia View Post
      I think even diluted shampoo can be used as lube provided you wash/wipe the area with water after claying.

Life's Boring !!!

Awesome

Chandigarh (Paradise) - Indrapuram (Vertical Slum)

Getz CRDI - Esteem

Awesome

Thanks a lot to all for your replies

Visit
      www.ultimatedetailerz.com

Awesome

This is a much debated question i have had myself:
      Why do we need a dedicated clay lube when we have alternatives like rinseless wash concentrates( ONR, Blackfire etc) which can also be used as a clay lube?

Manufacturers have dedicated clay lubes to be used with the clay bar so there MUST be some logic to that? One thing i know is that using a dedicated clay lube goes far to maintain the clay which does not get brittle if used with anything else in addition to providing the essential lubrication needed when using the clay bar.

A clay lube should be one that has some cleaning power and little to no protection, is what i have read and using a quick detailer or a combination of water and shampoo are what people can use.

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kmoh View Post
      Manufacturers have dedicated clay lubes to be used with the clay bar so there MUST be some logic to that
      IMO Nothing but way of making money!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information