• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Honda Unicorn - DIY restoration

A well oiled machine

Awesome

2008 Honda Unicorn - DIY restoration

The bike is mechanically fit. Only 11K on the odo, runs butter smooth. But could definitely use a new paint. It has a whole lot of deep scratches. The plastics too are scratched and lost their gloss. I'm just looking to restore the bike as good as new.

Any competent mechanic/restorer in Chennai who can do the job? I just need a person who is straightforward and does not rip me off. I don't want take the bike to a Honda service center. You all know why.

The OP has decided to go DIY way.

2008 Honda Unicorn - DIY restoration

The restoration is complete. Final pics can be found here: 2008 Honda Unicorn - DIY restoration - Page 7
      Last edited by venbab; 19th Sep 2013 at 13:56. Reason: changing as per request

bored

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ritzotic View Post
      I'm just looking to restore the bike as good as new.
      if the bike doesn't need any mechanical work (engine, fork etc) i would say do it yourself!! trust me its not that difficult, u might screw up just placing it in wrong direction if any but that can be removed and put back....!!! it would be a great project for you to work on as well.

just a suggestion. you can decide based on your work schedule!!
      Crooked One any suggestions for him?

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anubis View Post
      if the bike doesn't need any mechanical work (engine, fork etc) i would say do it yourself!! trust me its not that difficult, u might screw up just placing it in wrong direction if any but that can be removed and put back....!!! it would be a great project for you to work on as well.
      Thanks for the encouragement but firstly I'm not mechanically inclined. Secondly, I'm willing to learn but time is becoming scarcer than water these days
      Last edited by keerthi; 19th Mar 2013 at 15:21.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

bored

Awesome

I'm willing to learn
      this is all that is required. what exactly do you wanna do to the bike? post a few pics and we might suggest you better!! is this your daily commute bike or its just lying around as of now and used only for local errands ?

A well oiled machine

Awesome

This is not my commute bike. I use it only on week-ends for local errands.

All metal and plastic surfaces look washed out. Chrome areas show signs of rust. There is a whole lot of scratches. I want the old gloss restored, all scratches removed and make it look as new as it was when bought.

Will do some prelim wash and post some pics.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

bored

Awesome

This is not my commute bike. I use it only on week-ends for local errands.

All metal and plastic surfaces look washed out. Chrome areas show signs of rust. There is a whole lot of scratches. I want the old gloss restored, all scratches removed and make it look as new as it was when bought.

Will do some prelim wash and post some pics.
      none of the above would require a mechanic but yes wud save a lot of running around!!! Lets see the pics and decide
      An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike - Spiro T. Agnew

2011 Avenger 220 (black) - riding strong and riding hard
      2006 Machismo 350 (black - chrome) - the beast is ready for anything
      2009 Machismo LB500 (Alberto green - Chrome) - Big Brother of the previous Beast

The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

AWOL

Awesome

Get a bottle of Waxpol Metal Polish. Costs ~40rs, red/yellow bottle in the middle. Try hunting for TW Chrome polish as well, good stuff. If you get it, use WMP first and then TWCP.

I use it extensively on my RD, it was a rustbucket when I got it, after spending some time with Waxpol metal polish, it looked as good as new!

There will be tiny spot/pitted rust and although it may not look much, but it makes a huge difference when you remove it all. Think of using WMP as a claybar, wipe over the rust few times and it will come off. Meticulously do it on the chrome parts, especially the silencer cover and it will surely bring a smile to your face

FOr plastics, buy some CarPro PERL and use it. Do not get it repainted, mechanics usually wipe them with used disc brake fluid to make it look good, but it fades away soon and will start killing whatever plastic that is remaining.

BTW your footpegs, are they painted or plain aluminium? Get 3M rubbing compound and rub it with it to get new finish! Same for the engine bottom case, load the paste with 3MRC and rub! Do not overdo it or you'll end up with glossy finish and that will ruin the look.

Fiat Palio 1.6 S10
      Yamaha RX165 5-Speed | Yamaha RXZ | Yamaha RD350 | HH Karizma | Honda NSR150SP

bored

Awesome

great suggestions there SunnyBoi i will pick up these stuff too!!

A well oiled machine

Awesome

I'm going to go DIY way! Gave the a bike a quick wash and did a close inspection. I'm an IT guy () by profession and possess absolutely no mechanical skills. I'm going to take up this project myself and with little encouragement from you folks and lots of learning jumping right into. Based on what I could see, here are the things that need changed/restored:

1. Engine Oil needs a change. - What works best? I'm just looking for comfortable & smooth ride, less noise and vibration and city driven.
      2. Headlights, indicator lights and the surrounding plastic holders have faded. The clear plastic look cloudy and the black plastics have turned gray. #detailing fordfan your suggestions?
      3. Chrome parts - Foot brake lever, Shock rods, handle bar and crash guard - have light to medium rust spots. What product will fix this?
      4. Bolts and nuts look brown. Not sure if they have collected mineral deposits. Does not look like they have rusted though some washers have clearly rusted. Do these need to be replaced?
      5. Chain - clean and lube.
      6. Engine block (the cylinder fins and the area under the fins) has paint come off. Not sure if it is due to the heat. The paint appears completely disintegrated as if corroded by acid and leaves powdery residue when rubbed by hand. I could see spots of bare metal exposed as well. Will post a pic later during the weekend and seek for suggestions.
      7. Tail mud flap needs a change. A kid crashed into my bike from the side a couple of years back and this has resulted in some deformation leading to a misaligned flap. Based on my past encounters with the mechanics, this needs a replacement.
      8. Some bare metal parts (aluminium?) like the gear shift lever needs to be polished.
      9. Have some distemper spots on the alloys. The alloys are painted but the stock finish is such that it feels rough/porous to touch. How to polish and restore luster on such alloys? What will remove the distemper spots?
      10. Muffler. A part of it closer to where it attaches to the cylinder has rusted a lot. The remaining looks really really faded and has some deep scratches. Not worried about this at the moment. May go for an aftermarket sleek muffler later.

The good news is that the body (fuel tank, instrument cluster and side trims) look intact. The tank was little faded but a quick compounding (megs UC) and finishing (megs UP) took care of restoring luster. The ruptured paint on & under the cylinder fins is an eye sore. I will try to restore the faded plastics or can simply replace them one at a time as these are cheap.

The plan is to spend a few hours on the week-ends and attack one problem at a time. Expect tons of stupid questions from me. Meanwhile if the experts could pour in your suggestions for my questions above, I'd sincerely appreciate.

Will post a few pics on the current state this week end. The bike as such is solid and fit. It just needs cosmetic fixes and some cleaning and lubrication.

Let the journey begin!
      Last edited by keerthi; 4th Jul 2013 at 17:22.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Cool

The current state of the bike. Doesn't look bad right? Not quite. See the close ups!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	994.2 KB 
ID:	147486

Instrument cluster & Tank:

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	742.9 KB 
ID:	147484

+ Intact instrument cluster

- Rust spots on handle bar

Fuel tank lid:

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	788.8 KB 
ID:	147490

+ Painted area is intact

- Rusted screws

Engine block:

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	845.4 KB 
ID:	147485

- Completely disintegrated powder coat on the cylinder fins
      - Oxidized paint (see kicker)
      - Rusted and Oxidized exhaust

Cylinder Fins:

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	996.6 KB 
ID:	147489

- Powder coat disintegration

Disk brake fluid container:

- Powder coat/paint on the cap disintegrated

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	661.2 KB 
ID:	147483

Muffler:

- Oxidized paint
      - Ugly deep scratches

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	862.7 KB 
ID:	147488

Tyre and brake disk:

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	978.9 KB 
ID:	147482

- Dull look on the tyre. Some distemper spots (oversprayed during the apartment exterior make over).

- Dull Brake disk. Has deeply baked in grime and some rust-like spots.

Alloy close up:

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	147481

+ Completely intact

- Needs some polish to restore oxidation. But the surface is textured so not sure how to compound it.

Rear mud flap:

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	977.1 KB 
ID:	147491

- You can see that it is deformed resulting in a misalignment with the tyres. The deformation was from a previous crash.

Seat:

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	991.1 KB 
ID:	147487

- So dirty even APC 1:5 didn't help.

Plastics:

The plastics on the indicator lights, both clear and the black plastic holder), have faded. Black plastics look more gray and the clear plastics look cloudy.

#detailing and other experts Any suggestions will greatly help fixing these blemishes. Please comment.

Tagging the experts (in no particular order!) fordfan baranjil thedukeguy kmoh nirmaljusdoit GreenZ Guru WildWeasel Supernaut Mudhalaipatti Lvramanan
      Last edited by keerthi; 6th Jul 2013 at 10:50.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information