• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use and review of ABRO A/C Deodorizer.

Welcome, Torpedo. 2013 VW
      Jetta TDI with DSG.

Awesome

Use and review of ABRO A/C Deodorizer.

Hi Gearheads,

I recently picked up two cans of ABRO a/c deodorizer from Snapdeal. I would like to share my user experience for the same.

The decision to purchase the A/C Deodorizer: After using the A/C in my #Ford #Figo continually from day 1 of the car, I started noticing the typical yuck smell when compressor is off (that is a/c light is not lit). So i did a survey and figured i'd go for the ABRO a/c deodorizer. Watched a few short clips on YouTube and understood how to use it.

The decision to go with Snapdeal: My decision to use snapdeal for the purchase was simple actually; a few other threads around here on this wonderfully awesome forum (GearHeads.in) pointed me to snapdeal for some other automotive related stuff. Hence Snapdeal it was going to be.

Why ABRO and not any other?: Frankly, there were no other alternatives thrown up at snapdeal on the day i had searched for this and also I heard about ABRO DI cleaner and on another thread on this wonderfully awesome forum (GearHeads.in) and so, by logical extension, assumed it would be worth it. Turns out that it actually was worth it.

Note that the contents of one can is to be used all at once in a single application. It cannot be stopped and stored for later.

The purchase: Straightforward. Typical online. Good thing was that they had CoD. I availed of it.

The application: Although i knew how to use it, i went through the instructions. Here's how you do it (applying the A/C deodorizer, i mean).
      0. Open the plastic cover of the can and notice the atypical applicator. Notice where the "thumb tab" is located. You will need to push down on this later on. See below.
      1. Ensure you move your vehicle to a well ventilated area. Although they do not say so, you must because of the post application step listed below. So, if your vehicle is parked in a basement, better move it out to the ground level. Basements are notorious known for poor ventilation. Also, identify a suitable area close to the main dashboard A/C vents on which the can can stand upright without any support. This will be required later on.

2. Keep the vehicle in neutral and Start the engine. Roll up all windows keep the driver door open.

2.5 Start the a/c fan and keep it at the highest fan speed. Turn down the temperature knob to coolest and engage A/C (that is let the car start cooling). Ensure that recirculation is ENABLED. No external air is to be sucked in.

3. Shake the can vigorously for about 30 seconds. I found that if i listened to "Shake it up" by Selena Gomez in the background, it helps.

4. Now this is the critical part. Place the can on the previously identified (1., above) area and firmly depress the "thumb tab" also identified earlier (0., above). This procedure locks down the entire valve and cannot be reversed. Once the dispensing starts it basically will stop only when the can is empty.

5. Immediately after the dispensing starts, exit the vehicle, close the door and standby for 10 minutes. I amused myself looking at the fine plume of mist being swirled around by the blast of cold air in the cabin for 10 minutes. Note that after a while the dispensing will seize but do not open the doors. Wait for 10 minutes to lapse.

6. After 10 minutes lapses, open the door and switch off everything, including the engine.

7. Before using the vehicle, roll down the windows and let it "air" for about 5 minutes. Remove can and dispense off / recycle in the required manner. This step is to be followed only upon first use after application of the ABRO A/C deodorizer.

That's it, you're good to go.

The cans that i purchased (2 nos.) had a nice lime aroma and i can vouch for the effectiveness of the deodorizing quality. On my journey after application i switched off the a/c and found there was no yuck smell. But how long this would last, i do not know. Incidentally, both cans are over. One i used for my dad's verna and one for my Ford Figo.

Disclaimer: The contents of the can is flammable and while the dispensing is happening you are definitely not supposed to be in the vehicle. It could lead to complications. I am not benefited by Snapdeal for using their service and mentioning them in this review. I am not benefited by ABRO in any way for using this product.
      September 2013 (Mk.6.) 2.0 VW Jetta TDI with DSG, Highline.

Betta Getta Jetta

内部、燃える

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Nice detailed review. Have you taken any pics as well? The pic of a car smoked from inside would have been great.

Please update it on the long term effectiveness of this.

How much did it cost BTW?

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

I have similar problem. I purchased this:
      ABRO-Air Clean Air Freshener & Hygiene - 255gm - Buy Car Perfume Online | Snapdeal.com

First used it as directed on the can and sprayed the foam inside the AC Vent with the help of the long tube supplied with the can. The musty smell went away for a few days and replaced with a Dettol like smell. After 2-3 days it was back to square one.

I then thought of trying it at the air intake so that the it gets circulated throughout the AC system. I was unable to remove the cowl cover to access the fresh air intake. I then opened the AC filter holder (my car doesn't have filter but has a provision for it). The blower motor was situated just below the AC blower. So I started the car and AC and sprayed the foam liberally inside the filter holder - the foam was instantly sucked up by the blower. I kept the blower on for about 15-20 minutes, started the AC for some time. The result was similar to earlier. the smell was gone for a day or two. But it returned afterwards.

So, I think I need to get the dashboard opened and get the cooling coil cleaned.

So, I would rate this product as a failure .

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

I think there is a similar product from 3M. It does exactly the same and it did work well too. I don't remember the name. It should be on one of the detailing threads.

driveclean.in

Awesome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all_p.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	135668

The is the 3M product which is good in my experience.
      This bottle can last for two applications.
      cost 675 per bottle.

There is a small pipe comes with this and you need to push in to the AC vents. Once the foam fills the vents, keep it for 10 mins till it settles down. Then cover your seats with news paper, put full blower mode. You'll see foam color changed & dust particles coming out of the vent.

This is only for the vents and duct pipes. Not sure about the AC compressor pipes, etc.

Kolkata

Awesome

You bought it at Rs.499 !. I bought it sometime ago from ebay at around 800 bucks Had a funny experience with it while trying it out. The tube which comes with it is folded and since I wanted to try it as soon as possible, I inserted into the AC vent and pressed the trigger.Now since the tube was not starightened by me properly it backfired and the whole dashboard, my face, hair, front seats were covered in foam and I tried it at my office - glad none of my colleagues were present.
      Last edited by Bobbychat; 21st Mar 2013 at 12:25.
      Bobby

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

getkaizer seems like this is similar to the Dakota Smoke Bombs...they also have the same, push down the plunger and put it in the car to do its stuff

thanks for reviewing / buying this...some pics of it would have been nice...and do keep it updated when you notice the smell coming back

baranjil what you are posting seems different, thats for spraying into the AC
      Last edited by fordfan; 21st Mar 2013 at 13:11.

Welcome, Torpedo. 2013 VW
      Jetta TDI with DSG.

Awesome

Sorry guys no pics for this review. Also, this cost me about INR 300 a piece including shipping (all inclusive).
      September 2013 (Mk.6.) 2.0 VW Jetta TDI with DSG, Highline.

Betta Getta Jetta

内部、燃える

driveclean.in

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      what you are posting seems different, thats for spraying into the AC
      Yes. this is different from getkaizer. This is more like DIY without much effort. ;-)
      I saw this bottle used in 3M and carzspa in Chennai, so did a try and it worked out well.

Kolkata

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      and do keep it updated when you notice the smell coming back
      fordfan - in my case, it did get rid of the musty smell to a great extent. It has been over a two months and it still seems to be working.

On a lighter note, since we are so obsessed with a good smelling car AC, look at what others have been thinking about : Fart Be Gone Flatulence Deodorizer Pad Goes in Underwear Let Em Rip | eBay
      Bobby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information