• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CarPro TarX in Action - Pictorial Review

live to Detail...am addicted

Awesome

CarPro TarX in Action - Pictorial Review

Somehow i managed to get a heck lot of tar on the left rear wheel and left rear fender and left passenger door, the boot and black plastic back bumper and even the freaking tires!...the tar spots are at the door handle level noticed this while using the wheel cleaner on the rims, so decided to bring out the old leftover tarx and spray and see what happens

Horrible tar spots on the wheel rim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24032013367.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	688.6 KB 
ID:	136070

TarX in action, spray and it starts to change color as it reacts and softens the tar

Name:	24032013370.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	577.5 KB 
ID:	136072

The yellow liquid at the steel rim bottom is all the tar spots which are being gradually dissolved

Name:	24032013372.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	619.7 KB 
ID:	136073

Name:	24032013374.jpg 
Size:	610.4 KB 
ID:	136075

TarX on rear left fender and door

Name:	24032013375.jpg 
Size:	958.0 KB 
ID:	136076

Name:	24032013376.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	607.8 KB 
ID:	136077

Name:	24032013377.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	690.9 KB 
ID:	136078

Absolutely touchless...just spray, pray and throw mugs of water from bucket Love tar removers!

First time i have ever had such a tar infestation!! Even the tire rubber has it for gods sake and its driving me nuts!

NOTE: tar removers and such need to be sprayed on cool wheels i.e. one which have not been driven for a while
      Last edited by fordfan; 24th Mar 2013 at 20:18.

:)

Awesome

did it remove the tar spots completely or was some claying needed?

Awesome

no claying, no polishing...where the tar remover hit, it removed all...i did spray a couple of times after a few mins gap as i went around the wheels...then just splashed with water and dried off with a towel...

generally its good to wipe down with a damp towel or something to help move the stubborn spots and conserve the product but i sprayed more for touchless cleaning...

i still have some left, can give you a demo

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

fordfan is TarX water soluble or oily?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
      is TarX water soluble or oily?
      feels oily in hand and on the paint surface but its not solvent based...some citrus based natural stuff...

best to wear some kind of glove or something when using tar/glue removers or anything which is solvent heavy

washes off easily

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      feels oily in hand and on the paint surface but its not solvent based...some citrus based natural stuff...
      Seems like some high molecular weight alcohol like butyl alcohol, tert-butyl alcohol. I'll have to research and time is so less these days .

BTW the IronX seems to be diluted thioglycollic acid solution. I know only a few chemicals that produce red colour in contact with iron by forming complex with it. Since you mentioned it smelled horrible my bet is on Thioglycollic acid. But only Thiog Acid will not react with iron dust directly. So there may be something other which makes the iron particles soluble and I fear these may be mineral acids like hydrochloric acid or nitric acid (diluted).

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
      Seems like some high molecular weight alcohol like butyl alcohol, tert-butyl alcohol. I'll have to research and time is so less these days .

BTW the IronX seems to be diluted thioglycollic acid solution. I know only a few chemicals that produce red colour in contact with iron by forming complex with it. Since you mentioned it smelled horrible my bet is on Thioglycollic acid. But only Thiog Acid will not react with iron dust directly. So there may be something other which makes the iron particles soluble and I fear these may be mineral acids like hydrochloric acid or nitric acid (diluted).
      i doubt it would be something like that, remember IX is pH neutral and acid free and is mentioned in their product description explicitly everywhere...if that was not correct they would have been swamped with lawsuits by consumers as well as government everywhere...they sell globally

but i agree that such concerns are always good to have and while they will not exactly share the complete product recipe, almost all manufacturers publish a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for all products or else willingly provide one on request from anybody...

check the MSDS sheets they make fun reading and really helps knowing a product better and if you have some knowledge or understanding or expertise of chemistry, i for one would personally love to know how to make some more sense of MSDS

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by fordfan View Post
      if you have some knowledge or understanding or expertise of chemistry, i for one would personally love to know how to make some more sense of MSDS
      I have some .

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

IronX contains Ammonium Sulfanylacetate which is synonym for Ammonium thioglycolate (found from MSDS) which is ammonium salt of Thioglycollic acid which I mentioned earlier . But they pH neutral. This is the chemical which makes it smell horrible and also produces the red colour in contact with iron. So, they are using some chelating agents to bring the iron into solution. I'll have to search more.

Retired hurt detailer

Awesome

TarX contains Petrolium distillates >60% (most probably Naphtha), and about >10 % each of Limolene and Orange oil terpene. The last two compounds are responsible for the smell in Citrus fruits. They are extensively used in perfumes, foods etc.
      From wikipedia:
      Limonene is increasingly being used as a solvent for cleaning purposes, such as the removal of oil from machine parts, as it is produced from a renewable source (citrus oil, as a byproduct of orange juice manufacture). It also serves as a paint stripper when applied to painted wood and is also useful as a fragrant alternative to turpentine. Limonene is also used as a solvent in some model airplane glues. All-natural commercial air fresheners, with air propellants, containing limonene are used by philatelists to remove self-adhesive postage stamps from envelope paper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information