• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • View Poll Results: Which is the best looking car pic from the car profiles in this thread?

Voters
    27. You may not vote on this poll
    • Metalspree's BMW 525D

8 29.63%
    • Tadukuttan's Chevrolet Cruze

0 0%
    • Darl_Light's Fluidic Verna

0 0%
    • Xander's ANHC

4 14.81%
    • Optimus_Prime's Verna

0 0%
    • Mi10's Ford Classic

11 40.74%
    • Venbab's Swift

0 0%
    • Metalspree's XUV500

0 0%
    • Anandv267's Ritz D

1 3.70%
    • Wildweasel Ford Classic Diesel

1 3.70%
    • Bigmoose's Punto 90HP

0 0%
    • Evolution88's Ford Figo

1 3.70%
    • Roadking's Punto 75HP

1 3.70%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VBox Performance Test Results

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	136894

What is Racelogic and VBox?

In 2001, US Government decided to open up the GPS Information for non-military use. Result - GPS signal accuracy for general use came down from 100 meters to 3 meters. This also resulted in multiple commercial opportunities for various enthusiast entrepreneurs to venture into.

One such company was Racelogic. Formed in 1992, this UK based company used to supply electronic control systems to the motorsport world. After the US military decision to open up the GPS signal, it came up with an idea to manufacture high accuracy GPS devices to assist in vehicle speed testing and performance. The product was named Velocity Box, or more commonly known as VBox and was launched in 2001. Soon it grew in popularity and within 3 years – it went on to sell its VBox to 50th country worldwide. Since then, the company has come a long way and it has created number of variants for its VBox product. The one that we are using is called “PerformanceBox”. This is how it looks like.

Name:  PerformanceBox.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  26.0 KB

PerformanceBox is a GPS based performance meter that allows you to measure G-forces, speed, lap & split times, 0-60, 0-100, braking distance and many more.

The new Predictive Lap Timing function (live comparison to best lap) gives you instant feedback on your driving and helps you to find valuable improvements in your times. All parameters are logged to an SD memory card ten times per second for later review and comparison. PerformanceBox contains an integrated antenna, is compact in size and very easy to install. Its features are:

• Performance meter, lap timer, data logger and power calculator in one box
      • Accurate GPS logging at 10Hz
      • Logs directly to SD card
      • Predictive Lap Timing
      • Inbuilt GPS antenna

Name:  GPS Specs.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  92.5 KB

About 0-100 test?

Idea is to get to the quickest 0-100 timings from all cars possible. This includes:

1. Find a suitable launch RPM where in the car doesn't excessively wheelspin off the line, but at the same time it's not too slow where it can bog down!A good launch is one where, you get off the blocks and you see the RPM needle climb all the way towards redline, not drop off from your launch RPM.
      2. In order to get a good launch, one has to pre-load the suspension! That means pulling the handbrake up. This also ensures you don't roll forwards and do a rolling start instead of a standing start.
      3. To get a good launch, you modulate the clutch pedal based on how much throttle inputs you are giving, ensuring that during the whole time the revs are climbing, not dropping. Launching every car is different, so key is to find out what launch RPM, how much throttle input, how clutch modulation etc works in unison to get you off the blocks the quickest.
      4. Once you get off the blocks quickly, key is to concentrate on getting the powershifts perfectly right! By powershift, I mean trying to shift gears as quickly as possible so that you have the least drop in revs between every gear change.
      5. Find out where the ideal shift point is in each gear! Some engines don't make power all the way to redline, in that case short shift. In some cars, power is put down all the way to the redline in atleast a few gears. Key is getting to know where the engine starts to drop power, shift into a higher gear at that point, not rev needlessly to redline as that only slows you down.
      6. Key is to shift so that you don't hit the rev limiter if your engine is making power all the way upto redline! Shift about 200 RPM below redline, by the time you are done shifting you'd have reached redline!
      7. Find the least number of gear changes you need to reach the 0-100 mark! Every gearshift takes time! So the less number of gearshifts, the better!
      8. If steps 1-7 are followed, you will most often than not get a very good 0-100 timing!

Important Do Not Do Tips:

1. Do not launch at too high a RPM and make your wheel spin massively. Though it may sound fun, wheelspings only slow you down. And it eats up your tyres!

2. Do not needlessly put heavy load on your clutch by slipping it for too long! Between two launches give it some time for everything to cool down.

3. Shift carefully, if you miss shift, abandon the run! Trying to slot the gear back in will only destroy your gearbox

For Gearheads, all the tests were done by mclaren1885. The the individual test reports from post 3 onwards of this thread belong to him. For tests, 140kg weight of Raama and Rahul has been assumed.

For discussion on this topic requesting everyone to continue on the original thread here : GearHeads India
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 31st Mar 2013 at 22:53.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

Cars Tested : Comparative Results

The table above is sorted from low to high in order. The same order is maintained for all the graphs below.

Unsurprisingly, BMW is standing at the top followed by Cruze. Ford Figo and Fiats showed runs in 15-16 seconds. The same table above was given form of a graph in ascending order. Lets have a look at them below and see how they stack up:

Lets see how these cars look like when we see them in same order but with their displacement. While its understood that this is not the only factor - but a number nonetheless?

Name:  cc.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  71.7 KB

A chart showing both of the numbers above in comparison together, I'll leave it upto you to analyse the way you want.

Lets add horse power of these cars in same order as well and then combine it with the speeds they did.

Name:  bhp.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  78.3 KB

Last edited by mclaren1885; 31st Mar 2013 at 20:23. Reason: New charts put up.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

Fastest 0-100 car testing on Gearheads so far - Metalspree's BMW 525D

Name:  BMW.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  179.8 KB

Fully enthusiastic seeing his XUV5OO do a 13.2, Kranthi now had to find out what his dads 525D does. So we met up at 6am and went past Doddballapur to test! En-route we had a Aston Martin Vantage and a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S for company! Both cars weren't being pushed hard, couple of times we saw them touch 200 and back off! So sad, couldn't see these cars being revved to redline

Anyways, back to the BWM run.

Run 1 - 8 secs.

Run 2 - 7.6 secs.

Run 3 - 7.7 secs.

Run 4 - 8.2 secs.

Actually, should have thrown Kranthi out of the car and put someone lighter inside! I am sure we could have improved the timings a bit more! Launching a RWD is an art! Takes time getting used to. And not having a clutch is a real downer! You have to hold the brake hard, hold throttle steady, turn off Traction Control and when you think it's time to go, floor the throttle and let go of the brake! And vroom, you shoot forwards!

Turning off the TC was fun! If you launch at slightly higher RPMs, the car would drift towards the right, leaving a nice layer of rubber on the road kicking the rear out!

Oh! We also tested a 0-100-0 run! And the 525D did it in a incredible 13.1 secs. That's as quick as Swift D or a XUV takes to get to 100kmph

I used left foot braking to stop the car, damn! It felt like hitting a wall and I could see things inside the car flying around everywhere!

Manged to push the car for a few kms, we touched a top speed of slight over 210kmph and it was amazing how quickly we got there! Would love to drive the 525D alongside the Cruze and see how quicker it is! The best part about the car though was the steering. Turning into a sharp right hander at 210kmph, the way it weighs up is beautiful. Feels like a solid rock in your hand! Not the puny steerings that keep floating while you are doing high speeds we get in our cars!

Everytime I drive a RWD car, I wonder how we are wasting money on FWD cars! To vent out our frustration we went for a drive to Tumkur for breakfast, ate a lot of idlys and got back home.
      Last edited by rksingh1; 30th Mar 2013 at 10:28.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Name:  cruze.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  152.3 KB

Since I couldn't take my car out last night, I decided to take Tadu's car out for a spin. Since both of us are running the same remap from the same company, thought let's see what it's putting out!

Run 1 - 9.4 secs.

Run 2 - 11.4 secs.

Run 3 - 9.0 secs.

Run 4 - 8.4 secs.

This with some horrendous diesel in Tadu's car. Usually, we get 160ish HP and 350is NM torque figures. That night on our way to CCD we managed only 115.1 HP and 290.8Nm of torque! Tadu says his car wasn't accelerating at all.

With good diesel, I am expecting the Cruze to clock a very low 8 sec run. Would be awesome to see it get into the 7 sec territory!

The biggest problem with doing a run in the Cruze is, 1st gear is so short and it makes so much power and revs quickly that just as you think you've finished the launch, you have to shift! Out of 4 runs I hit the limiter in 1st gear on 3 runs. Final run, I concentrated more on the shift than the launch, shifted at 4200 RPM instead of closer to 4500 RPM that I am so used to doing!
      Last edited by rksingh1; 30th Mar 2013 at 10:35.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

The Rocket Diesel - Dark_Light's Verna Fluidic CRDi

Name:  verna new.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  114.1 KB

What have Ripper and I been saying about Hyundai diesels all this while? If you thought the Old Verna was a monster, the new one is a Wolf in a Sheeps clothing! It was the one car that raised the most eye-brows and left us all seriously wondering how Hyundai had managed to do something like that! And here is why!

Run 1 - 11.2 secs.

Run 2 - 9.7 secs.

Run 3 - 10.3 secs.

Run 4 - 10.5 secs.

For a diesel car, a 9.7 sec run or even a low 10 second run is impressive stuff! Actually more than just impressive! The engine is a hoot to drive! It may not give you the same rush, seat of the pants feeling the Old Verna would give!

The pull to 3500 RPM is filled with quick rush of predictable boost, post that, it's like a VTEC kicking in all the way to redline! This has to be one of the quickest, most rev happy engines I've seen in recent times! And a 9.7 second run on a stock car makes me wonder, what it can do when remapped!
      This engine with all that features makes even a lifeless steering livable! Just get some good suspension! Damn, all you guys who want to buy or have a Verna Fluidic should be sitting on some companies head to make you guys aftermarket suspension! Hyundai has taken it's engine in the Verna to a whole new ball game!

And to think a puny 1.6L diesel mill can be faster than most petrol cars in it's segment is a scary thought! Come to think of it, it's faster than even a stock Cruze! I've clocked my stock Cruze at 10.22 secs on the same stretch of road!

Dark_Light - Get a remap! Wait for someone to bring in suspension! I can't wait to see a low 8 second run on this beauty!
      Last edited by rksingh1; 30th Mar 2013 at 10:41.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

Xander's White Rocket - The ANHC

Name:  anhc.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  224.4 KB

The ANHC though not on the league of the OHC Vtec, has always been carrying a potent engine that is quick!

And legendary lack of Honda low end torque means these are the easiest cars to launch! Hold the throttle down at 4500 RPM and pop the clutch
      Funny thing in the ANHC is ECU cuts off fuel if you rev to 4500 RPM without load on the engine! So using that as the in-house launch control system, it was very easy to get some amazing timings from the Honda! Do note that Xander's car is running a FFE!

Run 1 - 11.1 secs.

Run 2 - 11.3 secs.

Run 3 - 10.1 secs.

Run 4 - 10.8 secs.

Run 5 - 11.2 secs.

Run 6 - 10.0 secs.

I tried various launch and shift techniques on the Honda! The best way to launch this car is hold the revs at 4400 RPM, let go off the clutch and modulate the throttle to ensure that the revs don't drop! It does pull nicely! The gearing is a bit ****ed up!

2nd gear peaks out at 96kmph! Which means you waste about 0.2-0.4 of a second to shift to 3rd to reach the ton mark. If like the Baleno, this car was capable of doing 100 in 2nd gear, it would have done a late 9 second run!

Impressive figures though! xander - Find some cams for this engine and a re-map! Your FFE begs for more, both the mods will do justice to your car
      Last edited by rksingh1; 30th Mar 2013 at 10:47.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

Optimus_Prime's OLD Verna - Time to retire her

Name:  Verna old.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  126.1 KB

A reluctant optimus_prime handed over the keys to his baby threatening of dire consequences should something happen to her! I assure him, she would be well treated! And off we go!

1st run - 11.9.

2nd run - 12.5

3rd run - 11.1.

I managed to get the perfect run on the 3rd attempt. Knew it couldn't be bettered! The good thing with the Verna engine is that it revs effortlessly to redline!

The only trouble is the clutch! It doesn't bite hard enough, so getting launches off the line is tough! If you get the launch perfect, the shifting is the least trivial bit!

I've always said Hyundai makes some brilliant common rail engines! And it's so nice to be proved right!

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

The Disco on Wheels - Mi10s Fiesta 1.6S

Name:  mi10 fiesta.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  113.0 KB

Idea was to first get done with all the diesels, then switch over to the high revving petrols.

Ok, I thought Praveen was planning to de-ICE his car before he started from Chennai? I am still left wondering why this car did not give a quick timing! The weight of the ICE? Or is it something else? Also it was the only car where the 0-100 figures were slower than a stock car!

Run 1 - 13.9 secs.

Run 2 - 13.7 secs.

Run 3 - 11.9 secs.

Run 4 - 12.9 secs.

Run 5 - 13.2 secs.

Run 6 - 12.1 secs.

The Fiesta was a ***** to launch off a standing start! Wouldn't wheel spin even if you launch at 4000 RPM, but it barely was producing power in 1st gear. It just seems to rev, but not really putting out any brutal acceleration that is expected from a 1.6L motor. I am not too sure how much influence the added weight from the ICE is making to the 0-100 runs, but the re-map doesn't seem to have made much of difference!

This car begs for wilder cams! And Praveen, see if you can lighten the car next time we do this again! I shall have the Vbox logging working by then and we can do a detailed analysis of where you are losing power and also compare it with another stock Fiesta 1.6S to see exactly what gains you are getting from the re-map.

Even when I did get a very good launch, I see the RPM needle revving neatly to about 6000 RPM, but it's not somehow translating to a good 0-100 time! That's a bit surprising actually! I expected your car to do a late 10 sec run a the very least!

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

Venbab's Swift D - The Performance hatchback king

Name:  swift.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  137.3 KB

Two big issues with Venbab's Swift! It doesn't have a RPM meter, which meant launching and shifting blindly!

Two - XM2+. Just don't do any justice to this car.

Run 1 - 15.0

Run 2 - 13.0

Run 3 - 14.5.

Run 4 - 15.3.

Run 5 - 13.2.

Not having a RPM meter made it a little hard to get a good timing! But 13 secs in itself is a great timing! Given that ACI tested it at 13.87 secs.
      The thing with this engine is, it was probably the hardest of all the cars to launch! It has so much power in 1st gear, with insane boost kicking in that it makes the wheels hop like crazy! Launch at 2500 RPM, massive wheelspins and massive wheel hopping! This is also aided by the lack of grip on the XM2s. Can't imagine what this thing does to that puny 165mm wide tyres!

Overall, the Swift still sets the benchmark when it comes to acceleration and performance in hatchbacks apart from the Getz CRDi. It's insanely quick, a beautiful map by the Maruti guys and amazing selection of gear ratios! The Swift unlike it's other brethren hits a ton in 3rd gear itself!

Driving this car brings a smile to my face each time! Thanks venbab for volunteering! And please do get a re-map for this baby soon.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries

The 2nd Surprise of the day - Metalspree's XUV5OO

Name:  XUV.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  227.3 KB

Now who in their right minds would have wanted to time a XUV to test the 0-100? Well, we do have some crazy people here at Gearheads I am told!

Run 1 - 14.0 secs.

Run 2 - 13.2 secs.

Run 3 - 14.2 secs.

The XUV5OO was by far the most difficult vehicle to launch! Everytime I tried to launch it, the wheels would hop like crazy! Inspite of that it did a 14.0 second run! Impressive!

Then I realized the best way to get off the blocks is to do a sedate launch! Did that and the best we landed up with is a 13.2 secs run. That IMO is amazingly quick for something that weighs 1800kgs and had another 200kgs weight inside! That's almost as quick as a Swift D! What do the Safari and Scorpio do in? Late 14s? camchennai can you confirm?

Impressed by what we did, I took the vehicle out for a slightly longer spin! Needle easily climbs to 170kmph. Engine mounting is great, so engine moves around a bit around 3000 RPM and you can feel the vibrations. Also at 170kmph on the speedo, the true GPS speed is some 151.x.

Irrespective of the speedo error, I took a few sharp corners at speeds of 140-160kmph on the speedo! Held the line pretty well! Not bad for a vehicle this size!

M&M though has to fix the brakes! I feel that the brakes weren't creating enough vacuum to stop it. The brake pedal doesn't firm up when you press it! Kranthi says it's a faulty brake pad, not the braking system unable to generate more vacuum. Whatever it is, I do hope it's fixed. And fixed real soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information