• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Power on switchin on AC/ Defroster in Hyundai Elantra crdi

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      Electrical load - how does that impact pickup?

The Alternator does not add or detract from the 'load' it places on the engine.
      the alternator does add a load on the engine. however, that the acceleration robber I am refering to.

basically, everything in the engine operates on battery voltage reference. a low voltage reference will cause injectors to open sluggishly, spray less, etc. when compared to a high voltage reference.
      if the alternator is unable to keep up with demand placed by the fans and motors kicking in, said voltage will drop.

it's a long shot, but still remotely possible. either way, the service center will be best equipped to get to the bottom of the OP's issue.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      a low voltage reference will cause injectors to open sluggishly, spray less, etc. when compared to a high voltage reference.
      I guess it is time to bring in your battery voltage compensation table. We would be OT though.

PS: ...and the award for the most irritating siggie goes to the one and only Honda theRapist!
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 15th May 2013 at 23:07.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      I guess it is time to bring in your battery voltage compensation table. We would be OT though.
      LOL yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      PS: ...and the award for the most irritating siggie goes to the one and only Honda theRapist!
      don't shoot the messenger. shoot karanbhatia.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I would like to mention that there was some problem with the alternator and I had replaced the diode pack. As per 007, is the voltage produced by the alternator lower when AC is switched on? thats Y the engine has to produce more power to compensate for the lower voltage?. is the AC clutch/bearing faulty? thats Y its creating more load. The service people try to change each and every part without knowing the actual reason giving me a hefty bill. thats Y I am trying to shortlist the parts that might result in the lower power.If I get the individual parts checked I will replace them only. How does one know that alternator is faulty? Seniors pls guide.

Also one more query. How is the AC of the elantra? I dont feel its that effective in cooling the entire cabin or may be my filters are clogged/ cooling coil has to be cleaned?

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
      I would like to mention that there was some problem with the alternator and I had replaced the diode pack. As per 007, is the voltage produced by the alternator lower when AC is switched on? thats Y the engine has to produce more power to compensate for the lower voltage?.
      You could check if the alternator is generating sufficient voltage with a multimeter connected in parallel to the battery.
      Tucson and Elantra has lots of parts sharing and I guess the alternator is similar (if not the same). Here are the readings on Tucson.

Engine not started: 12.5 V (Early morning battery rest voltage - may vary a bit with battery age and condition)
      Engine started and idling: 13.6-13.8 V

I've never tested with AC on, but you could extend the check to have that value if you desire.

To answer your original problem, I think it has something to do with AC clutch/bearing/compressor. Please get it checked at the HASC.

How is the AC of the elantra?
      It's pretty good.
      Do you have the ACC model or the manual model (came in the deContent model of Elantra) ?
      Last edited by Digital Vampire; 16th May 2013 at 10:55.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Awesome

Will try to do that. One more thing to note is that even when defroster is working the engine takes load but not when the heater is ON(I mean when the temperature is set higher than the ambient one)and the blower is blowing hot air. But I guess when de-froster is ON it is blowing hot air right, so only the fans are running. Can we infer something here.

Mine is with ACC.

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Defroster (if you are talking about the rear glass) works on electricity. The hot air blower uses the coolant for heat.

As stated, unless the physical force required to turn the compressor is more than normal, you will not find an above normal power drop.

It most likely is a vacuum leak. Ask them to test for vacuum leak. If they cannot find anything in the hoses ask them to check the EGR. If the EGR is stuck in the open position, you will have a massive vacuum leak as well!

A stuck PCV will sap power big time as well.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Awesome

Ok let me get these aspects checked.Thanks for the feedback

Awesome

Also I guess I am loosing more oil. Is it the PCV thats acting here? One of the hoses that connects the coolant storage tank with radiator had a small leak. So I blocked it temporarily using some MSeal. does this affect the performance in anyway? Also should I get the compression checked?

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Also I guess I am loosing more oil. Is it the PCV thats acting here? One of the hoses that connects the coolant storage tank with radiator had a small leak. So I blocked it temporarily using some MSeal. does this affect the performance in anyway? Also should I get the compression checked?
      shotgun - we can play guessing games all day - to no avail.

Why dont you take it to the showroom and get things checked one by one like we suggested.

Oil consumption can be for a variety of reasons, Yes PCV is one of them. Please go ahead and change the thing - it costs only some 500 bux.

How long have you had the vehicle - what was your servicing/oil change interval? What oil were you using?

I will not recommend any shortcuts/fixes with your cooling system. It wont last and any failure WILL leave you stranded saddled with a huge bill! Check for worn/brittle hoses (heat accelerates ageing of rubber components) and replace all of them.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information