• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used car now or a new one after 6 months - Bought Honda Brio

hanging tight :/

Hungry

Used car now or a new one after 6 months - Bought Honda Brio

Hello Gearheads,

I have been considering to buy a car for some time now. I am in a big confusion between a used and new one. I shifted to Bangalore few years back for my studies and I really did not need a car as I have been staying alone. Now as I am working and planning to get married so I thought it is the right time to buy a car. I hardly had a chance to drive any car in last 5 year (Only drove my dad Wagon-R for 1-2 Km whenever I visited home). I do not have much knowledge about engine problems as never took our car for service. I think I will not be able to identify small problems in a used car test drive due to lack of exp. behind the wheels.
      I read a lot about cars read about cars on gearheads and some other forums but I think real exp. can not come through reading only.

During my online research, I came across a used 2007 Fiat Palio 1.6 sport (Petrol). The car has done 36000 Km and is second owner car so I will be the third one. The car looks well maintained but we can not judge a book only by its cover. I was doing online research and thought of searching the car details on Google . I felt I might be the first one to do this thing on the earth and was not optimistic about getting any information about the car. Normally people go to the Authorized service centers to check car details and I went to Google

I will tell you what I found on Google, but First lets start with the things happened prior to that.

I saw this car on a classified and called the owner. I spoke to him, seems to be a nice guy who also love cars and registered on some other forum. He told me it is a good car, have been well maintained and I can come for a TD. He also mentioned that for him the maintenance cost has been around 4-5 K yearly. I asked him about the price and he said even though he have mentioned 2.1 Lakh but can give me the car for 1.9 lakh. He said it is the last price he can not give less than this. I was ok with the price and as car-owner place was quite far for mine, I asked him to send some pics.

After looking at the cars, I reached at the conclusion to test drive that car and almost had finalized the car in my mind. I was very much excited the car being 1.6 liter and 100 BHP

Here are some pics of that car:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-13 03.28.08.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	142764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-13 03.28.59.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	844.3 KB 
ID:	142765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-13 03.26.44.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	142766

Name:  picture_99756.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  59.6 KBName:  picture_99757.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  67.0 KB

As I knew Fiat Palio is not in production any more so it will be difficult to find spare parts and maintain the car. But I was going crazy thinking about the power and performance of this car on highway

Now here comes the Google part: After getting the pics, I searched the car details with the owner name on Google and I was surprised by what I found. I got to know this car had a problem few months back and the car-owner had a hard time with that problem. Here is the link which I found on through Google:

http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthread...=4537#post4537

This car was having various problems with Starting and overheating. Sometime the problem will start after driving the car for 10-15 Km. He showed it to many mechanics but they could not find the exact issue.
      I called the car owner and asked him about the issue. He said the issue has been solved after replacing the "Thermostat part" in the engine. If I look at the link above there is nothing related about the problem being solved.
      If any Fiat owner can help me in understanding this problem, would be very much appreciated. My heart is still stuck with this car (100 bhp under the hood).

I do not have much knowledge about driving the cars. I thought instead of a used car it would be much safer to buy a new car for around 7-8 Lakhs. Due to my budget It will take me another 6 months. I do not prefer to buy a car through loan.

Last Sunday, I visited Maruti True value and there saw a Wagon-R 2004 model clocked 49000 km, single owner for 1.8 lakh. I could not find any other good car in my budget, I felt Bimal people are also charging some premium then what I can get outside. I do not want to go for this as already have Wagon-R with my father in my hometown.

There was another used car showroom (Called Pre-owned Cars) nearby, I also visited there and saw and OHC 2000 model clocked 80000 Km available for 2.25 Lakh (Not Negotiable). I set inside and felt like I am sitting in some racing car. Also the showroom owner told me that they can send the car with me to Honda service center for checkup for my issue clearance. I found sitting position to be wonderful. Only concern is, Is it good to go for a sedan as your first car.

I discussed with my Fiance and she said it will be good if we go for a brand new car which will not give us many problems, I agreed.

"Heart says to go for a used one as We both (Me and My Fiance) will be brushing up our driving skills on this used car". I would not want to damage a new car in mastering the driving skills.

"Mind says that I should join a driving school to improve my skills and then buy a new car after few months".

As a member of this forum, I thought it would be good to put my story in front of you all and get your opinions

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Cars looks clean and nice. But if you can afford little bit more then take a new hatchback itself rather than going for a 2nd hand car IMO
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

Why dont you go in for an i10 it would cost you a bit more than 2L that is if you could streach your budget a bit
      once you have undercover brother there is no other !

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      Cars looks clean and nice. But if you can afford little bit more then take a new hatchback itself rather than going for a 2nd hand car IMO
      Thanks for your suggestion. Budget is not an issue here, I have decided to buy a new car and now my heart says go for Chevrolet Beat and mind says to go for Maruti Swift ...... One confusion got clear another comes in

Quote Originally Posted by undecover_bro View Post
      Why dont you go in for an i10 it would cost you a bit more than 2L that is if you could streach your budget a bit
      I like i10, my friend have one and must say i10 has got one of the best engine though I do not like the ride quality ...it is kind of bumpy as compare to other cars.

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

New car anyday. Get an alto 800 for learning and then you could upgrade later in the year. You would get decent resale + a car which is cheap on pockets.

Hungry

Thanks everybody for your suggestions .... Finally after spending many hours in different car showrooms this weekend I have reached on my decision and it is Honda Brio

And here are the details of the quote for VX Mt variant I got from whitefield honda Bangalore:

Ex Showroom - Rs. 548,839
      insurance - Rs. 15,441
      Road Tax+handling charges - Rs. 92,790
      Essential Kit - Rs. 3,000
      Ex. Warranty - Rs. 10,250

Total - Rs. 670,095 (On Road)

and here are the offers list from them - Insurance free, Corporate discount of Rs. 10000, Seat Cover and parking sensor.

One more thing, the salesman said this offer is valid only for this month and I may not get the same next month. But the problem is I am planning to buy the car in first half of July month as I am moving to a new house next month.

Do you think it is a good deal? Also What is this Essential Kit for which they are charging Rs. 3000?

Any reply from the existing Brio owners will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance
      Last edited by Ghost Rider; 27th May 2013 at 12:33.

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by S.Gautam07 View Post
      What is this Essential Kit for which they are charging Rs. 3000?
      Must be mudflaps,RVM etc. Check with your dealer. It differs from car to car.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      Must be mudflaps,RVM etc. Check with your dealer. It differs from car to car.
      Thanks WildWeasel, What are the accessories you would suggest for a new car? I dont know much about car's accessories

A well oiled machine

Awesome

One more thing, the salesman said this offer is valid only for this month and I may not get the same next month.
      Step into the showroom next month and you will hear the same thing. They just want to lock you in. That's it.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Also What is this Essential Kit for which they are charging Rs. 3000
      This includes the car's jack, medical kit, the reflector(the triangle ones), the jack rod, one set of spanners etc
      the salesman said this offer is valid only for this month and I may not get the same next month
      This is just a gimmick just to put pressure on the customers so that they don't lose 1 customer.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information