• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone identify the leak from the photo?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Can someone identify the leak from the photo?

This brown fluid is today's surprise for me

My baby's name is Fiesta, and she was born in 2006. She likes to drink lots of Petrol.

Thoughts??
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130616_113700.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	741.5 KB 
ID:	145612  

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

red / brown fluid = power steering fluid, most probably. a wider shot of the area will better with identification of the trouble spot.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Is it oil based?? or a dry powder thing. If it is oil based then what 007 mentioned is correct. if it is dry and if you touch it and if you feel the powder form then it might be coolant leakage.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      Is it oil based?? or a dry powder thing. If it is oil based then what 007 mentioned is correct. if it is dry and if you touch it and if you feel the powder form then it might be coolant leakage.
      now that I look at it again, it seems that the stuff around the hose looks like a radiator fan. in that case, yes, that could be a coolant leak.

Awesome

looks like coolant to me - please trace the path of that hose and you can be sure.

The leaks is too small - just needs monitoring for now.

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

Check in your radiator cap if there is rusted water/coolant. If yes, then it can be coolant leak. The pipe too looks like it is a water pipe.

However get it checked. I have heard that fiestas have power steering oil leakage issues!

<invisible>

Awesome

Get the engine bay washed clean. Will help you to get the leakage traced.

Awesome

OK - I took a closer look and, well:
      1. Coolant container is empty.
      2. The connecting "narrow" hose from the container is pretty hot when touched. It splits into two, one of which goes to the left and other to the right of engine. The latter is immediately below the wider hose displayed in the photo in my question. So I guess those are inlets. The wider hose as in the picture above goes into the radiator.
      Here is the photo I found online to confirm it being a radiator one; see the image below.
      3. Also, I have observed in the past few weeks that my AC is losing it cool and I was suspecting it to be a case of gas leakage.

Now, about the probable solutions:
      1. If this is a leak in the hose pipe, it likely is going to be around the end of the wider hose, from where the fluid/wet powder seems to emerge. In such a case, how do we identify it is really a defect in the hose? Is not it possible that due to extreme heat the fluid is pushed out of pipe which would not happen normal circumstances. May be the coolant was all consumed and the heating started which ultimately led to pushing out of the fluid. I asked this because i have observed when you try to open the coolant container after a little drive, that is, when the car is hot, it throws us the fluid violently.

2. I have strong distrust among the local mechanics everywhere because they tend to arrive a faults without proper investigation and logic, more or less like the Ford ASS. I am sure I will find many who agree with me. As such, does one agree I should try filling the coolant and observe it for a while and see if the leak happens even after topping up the coolant. Thoughts?

3. What is the total amount of coolant that goes in Fiesta. 1.5 Ltrs?

4. Which one do you recommend . I know it makes less difference now a days, but just so I know...

Thanks all for putting in your time. I will be parting ways with my baby in next couple of days and will only see it after a month.

Let's work out something to keep it fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	145760

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by horizon22 View Post
      If this is a leak in the hose pipe, it likely is going to be around the end of the wider hose
      Need not be. It depends on the structural integrity of the hose pipe.
      how do we identify it is really a defect in the hose?
      The water would not dripped through the hose if it was not from it.
      May be the coolant was all consumed and the heating
      This always happens due to extreme heat the chances of vaporization is also there and hence once in a while you keep adding the coolant. here the coolant was not consumed, but leaked out from the hose.

I asked this because i have observed when you try to open the coolant container after a little drive, that is, when the car is hot, it throws us the fluid violently.
      Never ever think of doing this again. You will end up in hospital due to severe burn and also might lose out some organs.
      As such, does one agree I should try filling the coolant and observe it for a while and see if the leak happens even after topping up the coolant. Thoughts?
      Before you do that. Change the hose which you have shown and then fill the coolant and check it
      What is the total amount of coolant that goes in Fiesta. 1.5 Ltrs?
      If you are removing the whole ofcoolant which is in the radiator then I guess anywhere between 6-7ltrs. But if you are replacing coolant in the coolant holder then I guess it should be fine with around 1ltr.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

Hi Guys,
      I am back after a month long tour of the South. Back to my car, I cleaned the area where fluid had dripped and topped up the coolant so I can observe over the next few days about the quantity being consumed (or how often it lasts) as well observe leaks closely(as someone said above that it appears to be minor leak, so I decided to observe it first).

There one more thing that I have observed. The pipe that goes out from coolant container and into the engine gets pretty hot within a few minutes of starting the car. The container with coolant too gets pretty hot. Are these both normal?

The consolation I have is that despite empty container, the temperature gauge does not goes beyond 80 degrees. Any thoughts why it could be even when the container was empty?

Thanks
      Last edited by horizon22; 5th Aug 2013 at 10:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information