• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator conks off in Linea TJet - Wrong Diagnosis by Wasan

Ek aur jagah status update
      karna padega?

Awesome

Alternator conks off in Linea TJet - Wrong Diagnosis by Wasan

I have a Linea Tjet which will be completing 2 years in Sep 2013. So today evening when I started off I noticed the battery icon light on the dash came on. I hoped it would vanish after a few minutes but it didn't. I landed at an Exide shop and the technician attached a multi-meter to check. The voltage at rest was showing around 11.2 and it went up to 11.4-5 after cranking. He promptly concluded that my alternator has conked off (??) and suggested that I drive to FASS and get it replaced.

I didn't see any signs of a failing alternator - no weakening horn, no dimming lights, AC was working fine and so was ICE. So I really doubt his statement. At best, I think it could be a loose wiring or something like that. Alternator conking off withing 2 years in a modern car is something I've not heard of. Especially because in 7 years of owning the Getz earlier, there was never an issue with the alternator.

I reached home, parked and waited for some time. The Car-with-Lock light came on. According to the manual this means the Fiat Code protection is on i.e. the electrical circuitry has an issue in completing the loop. This usually happens if the voltage drops below the minimum.

AFAIK, this is a battery issue and the same needs to be replaced.

I called the Exide Batmobile but when they came after a long time, this issue did not happen! Neither the battery icon light not the Car-with-Lock symbol lit up. As if there was no problem to begin with! In fact the car started in half-a-crank, like it always did.

So what exactly can be the issue here? In case I do need to replace the battery, I prefer to go for Amaron Flo. But I'm seeing two different models. The website says Model no AAM-FL-545171036 is relevant to Fiat Linea 1.4 Petrol while BatteryBhai says AAM-FL-545106036 (45 Ah). So which one is it?
      JVC KD-R 926BT | Focal Polyglass 165VB & 165CVX | Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special | Ground Zero GZ TW MK2 | Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 | Scosche e2 E400 | Gladen RCA & Bandridge speaker cable

Everyone has regrets, make
      sure yours are more fun than
      others :D

Awesome

I think the battery has gone bad, in some time it may deteriorate further and it will be confirmed that there is a problem with the battery only!
      Nowadays, the exide batteries are not of that good quality as they used to be some time ago, Amaron is the best IMO! My exide battery also went bad in a couple of years!
      Sorry, have no idea about the model no.

Are you experiencing any trouble in early morning starts? Or anything like the car won't crank off after driving long distances!?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

dj.nish when your engine is running, your battery voltage should be shown as around 14v since the battery will be charged. Since you are not getting the 14v that means its an alternator problem. Due to this, the battery is not getting charged and so you are seeing low voltage when engine is off. As you said, generally nothing goes wrong with the alternator, so it could be a wiring problem or maybe even the belt is loose. Better to get it checked at FASS in any case.

O_o

Awesome

11.2 volts to 11.4 volts when the car is running is not the alternator issue. the battery is 2 years old and its life is done. same thing happened with my Endeavour as well.

pick up amaron. and for the battery type, please check the numbers on the current exide, generally all manufacturers keep the numbers similiar be it Amaron or exide or any other brand.

status quo

Awesome

For Petrol Linea it is 45Ah Amaron Flo, not sure if there are multiple models in FLO for 45Ah. But for TJet, better check the OEM Exide for the rating and replace with a similar rating. I heard people replacing with 55Ah in petrol vehicles, but it does not fit well in the battery bay, as there is a step in the base plate, making one side of the battery go up and create a slanting situation, unless you provide some additional packing on the other side. Unless you have some serious ICE setup, stick to OEM rating.
      Last edited by bbllaazzee; 27th Jun 2013 at 11:12.
      Think Blaze - Drive Safe

2013 Yamaha Ray
      2009 FIAT LINEA EMOTION+
      2009 ALTO
      2006 TVS Centra
      2005 BALENO LXI (59k)
      2003 Bajaj Pulsar 150
      1986 M800

karna padega?

Awesome

Update - I visited Wasan Motors, Kandivali yesterday. Car started showing signs of stalling just before I reached there (horn weak, loss of power etc). The technician came and without checking anything, he concluded that battery is dead. We tried to crank the car, but by now battery was totally flat. According to him, it is next to impossible for the alternator to fail in Linea. I requested him a couple of times to at least check the wiring and alternator, but he was way too confident that there's no other issue than the battery.

I got a new Amaron battery fitted and yes, the battery light did go away. I drove home (~6 kms) without any issue. I was happy that it was a minor issue.

However the light returned to haunt me in the evening! It came on again and would not turn off. Thankfully this time, the BCM (Car+Lock sign) light didnt come on, which means the battery is not the culprit.

Has someone else in Mumbai faced this issue? I need to know which FASS to take to. The technician at Wasan was (over) confident and had he checked the alternator/wiring yesterday, so much trouble could have been avoided.
      JVC KD-R 926BT | Focal Polyglass 165VB & 165CVX | Blaupunkt GTA 4 Special | Ground Zero GZ TW MK2 | Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 | Scosche e2 E400 | Gladen RCA & Bandridge speaker cable

Amazing Amaze

Awesome

Sounds some loose wiring somewhere.

I had faced an issue with battery, when my battery would die over night. I got the battery, alternator, wiring everything checked and everything seemed to be just fine however the battery continued to die every night.
      Finally found the culprit and it was my central locking (Autocop), the main motherboard had gone kaput and it was causing battery to dry. So disconnected the central locking and wouldn't face the issue again.

Its been now more than a year. Everything is running fine and yes, the central locking is still not connected.

If the issue is coming up only when the car is parked for longer duration (overnight) then I would guess its wiring or some part which has malfunctioned and sucking the battery up.
      Last edited by anonymous; 28th Jun 2013 at 13:39.

You Think!

Awesome

You could take it to Balaji in Thane. Looking at the distance from your presumed location in the Western Suburbs, you may want to talk to Wilson (9819864847) before hand. He is the service in charge and quite knowledgable regarding Fiat vehicles, if required tell him the guy with the Brown TJet+ from Dilli gave his contact details.

Quote Originally Posted by dj.nish View Post
      Has someone else in Mumbai faced this issue? I need to know which FASS to take to. The technician at Wasan was (over) confident and had he checked the alternator/wiring yesterday, so much trouble could have been avoided.
      Beer is proof that God likes us & wants us to be happy

karna padega?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by khoj View Post
      You could take it to Balaji in Thane. Looking at the distance from your presumed location in the Western Suburbs, you may want to talk to Wilson (9819864847) before hand. He is the service in charge and quite knowledgable regarding Fiat vehicles, if required tell him the guy with the Brown TJet+ from Dilli gave his contact details.
      Thanks for the lead buddy. As of now, I have taken an appointment at Fortune for Monday (earliest I could manage). I'm located at Thakur Village, Kandivali East. I'd love to take it to Balaji Thane, but I'm not sure if it will drive till there. With the likelihood of a conked off alternator, how many KMs will it last? Maybe 5-6?

The other option is to pre-arrange for a flat bed tow truck through Fiat RSA. Do you know if they do that?

You Think!

Awesome

If the situation warrants they should, the toll free call center &/or the local dealer would be better placed to give you that information.

Quote Originally Posted by dj.nish View Post
      The other option is to pre-arrange for a flat bed tow truck through Fiat RSA. Do you know if they do that?
      Beer is proof that God likes us & wants us to be happy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information